Thread: Necessity as the mother of invention

Site Supporter

Lightbulb Necessity as the mother of invention

Today, after sizing, trimming, deburring, chamfering, and primer-pocket-reaming 60 308 cases, most if it manual, I realized it's time for some power-tools to facilitate this work. The trimmer is powered, but I use a Lee Chamfer Tool (bought on sale as a #poorfag ) and Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer for the other steps. By the time all 60 cases were done, my thumbs and index fingers were shot.

I remember seeing the Hornady Case-Prep Duo at Cabelas and was thinking this might be a nice addition to the toolkit. As I was reading the description, I noted it could use any 8-32 threaded attachment. Great, I can also use it for primer pocket work. Then it dawned on me that 8-32 is what cleaning gear uses. I have a spare aluminum cleaning rod and the cordless drill I use, besides drilling, to run my Lyman trimmer. I cut off a section of the cleaning rod grind a portion flat for the drill to firmly grasp, and test fit a primer chamferer to it. It works! Now I don't need another single-tasker tool, just the various bits to do perform the tasks. This tool conveniently has every bit, with 8-32 threads, and a handy storage container (that also doubles as a handle if you want to go fully manual during the Nork EMP attack). As a bonus, it's less than half the cost of the power tool.

As God as my witness, my thumbs will never be overtired again!

Chris

Gracey primer tools !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Gracey primer tools !
    1. Overkill for my needs.
    2. More money than I want to part with due to 1.
    3. Fails the "singletasker" test.

Chris

User Tag List