Page 170 of 190 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1896

Thread: Mr_White's Training Journal: Mind Driving the Vision, Vision Driving the Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Regarding not practicing for a while....

My practice has been super slim as well. When I do dry or live fire it seems I'm right where I left off, not really better or worse. Just the same. Do you think that could be a sign of stagnant practice where you aren't pushing hard enough to gain new skill?
    I don't know, maybe. In this case, it feels to me like I wanted to practice. That makes a pretty big difference.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Fooled around shooting a little bit yesterday, first time in a couple of weeks. Not really fooled around, just didn't have a big agenda but wanted to shoot a little. Did some semi-disorganized reps of my little collection of tests. Biggest challenge there was getting back ON THE SIGHTS for real. That took some discipline. Otherwise not bad. Then I went on to shoot a B8 at 25 yards and shot one of my best groups ever - I really should have taken a picture. Maybe not that great by some people's bullseye standards, but I had two Xs and three tight tens, all very centered. Lawman is some accurate ammo, that's for sure. Then I hung a black tennis ball at 25 yards and worked on that. First round was a hit, then some hits and misses while it was moving after that first shot. That was all from ready. Then I went from the holster and had a couple misses and a hit at 1.69. I felt pretty good about the whole thing, especially my accuracy after not shooting for two weeks.
    Lord of the Food Court

Messed around with some Bill Drills before class on Saturday.

Messed around is the right term - didn't record anything, just shot stuff I felt like shooting.

Bills at 25 yards I tried pushing to see what would happen and what I could turn it into. 2.5 seconds was the low end, with a miss, a D, the rest Cs and an A or something along those lines. A little under 3.5 ended up being mostly As, which I was really happy with overall, though that was at the end, after having shot a number of them. Gripping the gun hard made a lot of difference.

Then I shot Bills at 7 yards, and those were of course a lot easier. Mostly clean or with one C, which annoyed me a bit. Though not that much when the time was also 1.81 or so.

Finished up intending to shoot some pairs to the 3x5 from 7 yards, but the first one was two hits at 1.28 (1.03, .25), plus I was running out of time, so I called it quits.

I came away from it feeling not too great about how I started, a lot better about where I left it, and wanting to shoot a lot more Bills at 25 yards.
    Lord of the Food Court

Did 20 minutes of dry draws and reloads last night on closer, scaled ~10 yard targets.
    Lord of the Food Court

I forget if I've asked you this...

Do you use any sort of weighted mag for practicing reloads? The SIRT mag is nice but doesn't support the +2 extension and doesn't click into my kydex or draw from it the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    I forget if I've asked you this...

Do you use any sort of weighted mag for practicing reloads? The SIRT mag is nice but doesn't support the +2 extension and doesn't click into my kydex or draw from it the same.
    For a long time now I have strongly preferred dedicated training magazines, with a bunch of real, actual dummy rounds in them, then several bright orange Glock dummies on top. They are real Glock magazines with +2 extensions, so they handle correctly and fit in my mag pouches, and the real dummies make them pretty much right for weight. I have one of those blue weighted training magazines, but it doesn't fit correctly in my mag pouches and it also doesn't allow me to feed a dummy into the chamber when doing slidelock reload practice. I've never had any use for the SIRT or SIRT mag when it comes to reload practice. Just too different from the real gun.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Regarding not practicing for a while....

My practice has been super slim as well. When I do dry or live fire it seems I'm right where I left off, not really better or worse. Just the same. Do you think that could be a sign of stagnant practice where you aren't pushing hard enough to gain new skill?
    Isn't there an oft-repeated Steve Anderson podcast line about shooters being the only people who don't practice yet still expect to get better?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Isn't there an oft-repeated Steve Anderson podcast line about shooters being the only people who don't practice yet still expect to get better?
    You obviously haven't tried working with aspiring pop stars...

1/28/ 2017:

30 minutes dry practice. Mostly draws and reloads, but some transitions and SHO/WHO too.
    Lord of the Food Court

1/30/2017: 20 minutes reloads, draws and trigger, a lot of it combined with short movement, one or a few steps.
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List