Page 1 of 190 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr_White's Training Journal: Mind Driving the Vision, Vision Driving the Gun

Mr_White's Training Journal: Mind Driving the Vision, Vision Driving the Gun

I've been making sure to log my practice sessions since January 1st, 2012, and will be getting them posted here over the next few days probably.

2012 goals so far:

• Return to the pure joy of shooting, and not be so invested in shooting well to feel that joy
    • Further ingrain disciplined shooting according to my vision – hence the journal title
    • Start shooting USPSA Limited with my concealed carry gear – we’ll see how long I hold out before being sucked into the game…or not - need to avoid expectations on this one
    • Reduce or acclimate to my stress reaction to shooting in front of people I care about (my peeps)
    • Break 80 seconds with my concealed carry gear on the IDPA Classifier, and in front of my peeps
    • Get off my ass and go get it kicked in ECQC
    • Exercise in order to be less embarrassed in addition to ass-kicked at ECQC, and to improve the raw physical ability I have to better shoot pistols
    • Win a Matchmeister gun at GSSF – this one is going to be tough, isn’t it Chuck?

I'm not a good goal-setter so hopefully these won't just fall by the wayside. But I guess that's up to me, isn't it?

Overall, my belief is that my physical skills are pretty decent. I need to continue rationing draw practice to keep my elbow from getting aggravated, and to maintain sanity and balance in training. Still need to work trigger control, especially SHO and WHO. Reloads need to be much more consistently clean. Way too many errors there currently.

The big thing I need is to truly habituate shooting the speed I can see. It’s all sights and trigger, applied across many slightly differing circumstances.

#USPSA
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-12-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: updated title to reflect new username

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    [*]Break 80 seconds with my concealed carry gear on the IDPA Classifier, and in front of my peeps
    Just sayn'...I've watched some of your video's...I don't think you'll have a problem getting there...

Petition to rename training journal to "One Winged Goose Clapping Inside a Bottle".

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Just sayn'...I've watched some of your video's...I don't think you'll have a problem getting there...
    I very much appreciate your vote of confidence. I think I can too, but the only way will be to overcome the self-imposed pressure I feel very strongly when shooting with peers/students/etc. For example, my personal best IDPA Classifier score (not shot according to the rules - I always shoot it concealed AIWB) is 80.38. But, that was during alone time practice. My best in front of the aforementioned people is 92.61. So, it is practically in the bag technically, but not even close mentally.

Strangely, I have not noticed a stress problem for me in actual competition, which so far is only GSSF.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Petition to rename training journal to "One Winged Goose Clapping Inside a Bottle".
    Denied! Unless it is a bottle of Old E. Then maybe.

1/2/12:

Light dry fire drawstroke practice 20 minutes

Focused on feeling a tight small motion to acquire grip rather than the whiplike motion that emerges as I get more warmed up.

Also tried to notice difference between extend-pause-press presentation vs. a 'deceleration' muzzle forward press out, to put it in terms hopefully meaningful to members of this community. Same thing I was talking about in the punch out vs. press out thread. Both ways seemed perfectly useable.

Tried to make sure to see hits on all repetitions.

1/3/12:

When I practice multiple times a day, I will use the terms AM, Mid, and PM to generally denote the morning (AM, duh), somewhere in the middle (Mid) and evening (PM.)

When I do dry fire drawstroke practice, I am typically using an IPSC target and drawing to the upper A (credit card) and a 1/2 size lower A zone (basically a 6"x6" square.) I put it at 10 yards if on the range, or 5 yards with a 1/2 scaled dry fire target if at home. This is an attempt to apply pressure to my visual patience and improve discipline in sight picture and trigger press.

Mid - dry fire drawstroke practice and single target transitions (transition up from body to head) 15 minutes - 2 hands only

PM - dry fire drawstroke practice and single target transitions 30 minutes - 2 hands, SHO, WHO

1/4/12:

AM - dry fire slidelock reload practice. Attempted to evaluate the 'look' vs. 'no look' methods. Discerned very little. Did 96 reloads, half looking, half not looking, and found almost exactly the same rate of magazine insertion error across both ways. Not that I trust myself to find anything statistically important in a short test like this. Will repeat later.

I continue to dislike the short time frame between glancing down at the magazine going into the well and back to the target. Going straight to the target spot, seeing the gun/front sight headed toward it, and shifting visual focus to the front sight all feels uncomfortably compressed in time. My vision told me hits were worse when 'looking' because of that compressed time after the 'look.'

I am about ready to simply concede that the 'look' is better from the technical standpoint. It is not just this community that is nearly united in its advocacy of the 'look.' I think the whole competition world thinks so too.

Perhaps I can get on board with this in time. Still experimenting with it.

Mid - dry fire drawstroke to IPSC upper A @ 10 yards - 30 minutes
    PM - live fire - DotW iHack 33/36 from ready, then 31/36 from concealed AIWB - tough drill, but I did ok because I principally stuck to aligning the sights and pressing the trigger. Need to stick with that all the time. The DotW thread post is here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post43986

Edited to add: PM also saw one repetition of draw to 1st shot at 1/2 lower A @10 yds. Shot was a hair above the upper border of the A zone, so technically out, but I immediately react by declaring the anatomical correctness of that shot. Time was .89.

Evening was a training session with the most dedicated students. We had the 'pressure round', which was for everyone to stand there talking crap to the shooter for a minute, then the shooter has one chance to draw and fire one shot to the lower A-zone at 7 yards. When it came to be my turn, I had lots of tension in the hands, acquired the grip pretty slowly, then lost faith in my draw and didn't want to throw a miss, so stopped the gun at extension, saw the sights, and pressed the hit. Time was 1.44 (compared to a .89 without the artificially created mega tension) but at least the hit was truly perfect in the center of the upper third of the lower A zone.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 01-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.

1/5/12:

AM – 1 hour general dry fire practice, focusing on shooting on the move and target transitions.

My general dry practice regimen is approximately:

Set up 3 IPSC targets (desired target zones again are the upper A credit card - though on some drills I’ll work the whole head box - and the upper half of the lower A zone, which is about the size of the whole head box.) I’ll have to measure sometime, but I’d say the targets are about 4 yards apart, shoulder to shoulder, in an attempt to have a large swing to deal with.

Some reps of dry fire on the move (one actual trigger press, then just seeing the sights and pressing the dead trigger for subsequent ‘shots’) moving forward from the 20 yard line to the 5 yard line. Same, moving backward. The movement is walking, but much faster than the oft-derided ‘IDPA speed.’

Same thing, but lateral movement left and right at the 20, 15, 10, and 5 yard lines. At the 5 and 10 yard lines I also do the same thing accelerating to running speed. When moving left to right or forward and back, I am using two hands to draw and press. When moving right to left, I am drawing and pressing SHO.

I work multiple target transitions at around the 5 and 12 yard lines. I engage the targets in the order of the Hackathorn Head Shot Standards (left to right, right to left, and middle to sides.) Work the upper A zone, the whole head, and the upper half of the lower A zone, two handed, SHO, and WHO.

How much of all that I do depends on how much time I have available.

Then, with whatever time I have left after the above, I work drawstroke and sometimes reloads. That’s my way of not going overboard on the draw and hurting my elbow again. It seems to be working well to keep my draw pretty sharp and also let it continue to heal.

1/6/12:

AM - 1 hour general dry fire practice, again focusing on shooting on the move and target transitions.

Mid - 30 minutes dry fire slidelock reload practice, again attempting to evaluate the 'look' vs. 'no look' methods. Good practice, but no further thoughts on the look vs. no look either.

1/7/12:

AM - 20 minutes of dry fire reloads, 'look' vs. 'no look.' No look felt especially slick.

Mid - Demo for marksmanship in basic pistol class (this is timed fire that has a much more comfortable time limit than any of the drills we shoot here.) Fired probably the third worst shot I ever have in this demo, but all the other shots were very tight.

User Tag List