Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any "Bargain" brands worth carrying?

The older designs tend to plug up in heavy clothing and break apart against auto glass.

Given the ready availability of modern robust performing Speer Gold Dots, Barnes all copper bullets, Hornady Critical Duty, Winchester Ranger Bonded/PDX1, Fed HST, etc... there is not a lot of reason to use older designs, except for practice...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    He tests the Winchester white box 147 gr. JHP loading and finds it works reasonably well
    Shooting watermelon and ribs.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The older designs tend to plug up in heavy clothing and break apart against auto glass.

Given the ready availability of modern robust performing Speer Gold Dots, Barnes all copper bullets, Hornady Critical Duty, Winchester Ranger Bonded/PDX1, Fed HST, etc... there is not a lot of reason to use older designs, except for practice...
    At $17.75 per 50 rounds for 147 grain 9mm HST, one could budget a few boxes for practice use.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I don't understand the point of selecting a cheap carry load to go to when a 2013 ammo drought hits.

It's carry ammo. Beyond function checking when you initially purchase it, don't shoot it. It's not a perishable food, it doesn't go bad. Buy 250-500 rounds of it at minimum, load your mags and put the rest away.

It doesn't magically disappear when the next ammo drought hits, and there's no reason to shoot it unless you're BOPE and shoot so many bad dudes that you run through your annual allotment of JHP ammo within the first month of the new year.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-03-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Current listings on sgammo:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winche...white-box-ammo Out of stock but priced at $22.95/50.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer/...dhp-ammo-53619 Same price $22.50/50

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federa...le-ammo-p9hst2 HST is cheaper at $19.95/50

At best there is better ammo cheaper, and worst case better ammo for the same price.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Bone Frog Gun Club currently has 1000 round cases of 9mm Federal HST 147 grain ammunition for $355.

Prices continue to drop, so purchasing a case or two might not be the worst idea in the world.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List