Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any "Bargain" brands worth carrying?

I’ve found Federal XM9001, a 115 classic JHP, shoots tight groups (sub 2”) and POA/POI in several of my guns. Allegedly an RCMP over run and supposedly +p but not marked as such. Velocity is 1225 fps, about midway between 9bp (1180 fps) and 9pble +p+ (1300 fps). Seems more accurate in my guns than those loads. All I can find now is case quantities, running about $15/box. Don’t wait if you want to try it. IMI 115 gr Di-Cut and Ex-Star JHPs are pretty good in the accuracy department, but youtube gel tests haven’t wowed me. Better than ball, but otherwise marginal IMHO. I’d carry the Di-Cut if that was the only JHP I could get. Pricing is a little higher than the XM9001.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

If (when) push comes to shove in this realm. I have a few options I prefer.

1) Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with the Barnes bullet. Until the height, height, height of the last ammo shortage, Buffalo Bore could still be found on the shelf at Cabelas and/or ordered online. Yes - it's expensive as hell ($30/20 rounds), but it beats carrying something that I don't have as much faith in. I'd willingly carry BB if HST or Gold Dots were unavailable.

2) Federal 9BPLE. A classic load that I stocked up on years ago, when it was cheap as hell. I could find it soon after ammo started coming back. This is a load I would trust in a 4" or longer barrel. I bought a bunch of it to feed in my 9mm AR and it goes like hell and expands nicely from a 16" barrel. I have faith in it working right in a full-size gun.

3) 124-grain XTP be it: Fiocchi Extrema XTP/Hornady Custom XTP/Most Brands XTP - caveat if loaded at 1200 FPS or more and fired from a full size gun.

The thing that makes 9mm JHPs work today, is the way they are made. Older hollow point designs just aren't as effective as the current ones, unless fired at a hefty velocity (e.g., 9BPLE). The XTP is a borderline bullet and while I'd make due, it wouldn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Given my druthers, if I couldn't find a reasonable supply of my 4th choice (9BPLE), I'd probably switch to another caliber. This is where caliber diversity does pay dividends. At the height of the 2008/09 ammo shortage, I still had on my shelf quality JHPs in .357 Sig, .38 Super, 10mm, .41 Magnum, .44 Special/Mag, .45 Long Colt, and .500 S&W Mag.

Before Winchester 127gr +P+ came out we used 9BPLE in handguns. I also remember Hydra-Shok, probably 115gr, so it's possible that we went back and forth based on price. We didn't go total low bidder, but we had some bargain hunters buying stuff. Based on results you could say they worked very well in our OIS, but the results were probably more a measure of the officer's ability than the JHP's effectiveness. I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep if I had to carry that generation of ammo again.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

For 9mm I wouldn't go "bargain". Usually if you keep your eyes open you can find great deals on quality JHPs that are on Doc's List. For my "stash" of SHTF 9mm I have several thousand of my own reloaded Speer 124gr Gold Dots loaded to velocities right in between standard pressure and +P.

For some reason I like to carry .45acp in recent years which tends to go against the grain with most operators now days. My SHTF stash for that is just GI ball velocity 230gr FMJ loaded with Vihtavuori match powder for competition level accuracy(about $.19 per shot). Otherwise I carry 230gr HSTs.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    I’ve found Federal XM9001, a 115 classic JHP, shoots tight groups (sub 2”) and POA/POI in several of my guns. Allegedly an RCMP over run and supposedly +p but not marked as such. Velocity is 1225 fps, about midway between 9bp (1180 fps) and 9pble +p+ (1300 fps). Seems more accurate in my guns than those loads. All I can find now is case quantities, running about $15/box. Don’t wait if you want to try it. IMI 115 gr Di-Cut and Ex-Star JHPs are pretty good in the accuracy department, but youtube gel tests haven’t wowed me. Better than ball, but otherwise marginal IMHO. I’d carry the Di-Cut if that was the only JHP I could get. Pricing is a little higher than the XM9001.
    I bought a case of this about a year ago and chronographed it through my old G19. 1221 fps and 1258 fps for 9BPLE. I would carry either one with confidence for off duty/self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    So, when the ammo crunch was going pretty hard I was having some difficulty finding HSTs or Gold Dots at my regular source. When things started to improve in availability I noticed more of the "Bargain stuff" starting to return to shelves. Examples would be the Remington 115 GR JHP at WalMart, Winchester USA 115 gr and 147 Gr Personal Defense ammo, Federal Classic, Hornaday Custom, and their newer line of American Gunner which use XTP bullets that were "the rage" a couple decades ago.

Any of these that have any decent data from the good doctor?
    If I were forced to use bargain ammunition, I would pick whatever shot the softest and most accurately in the "heavy for caliber" arena. I would also pick a JHP or FP if possible. Reason being, accuracy with a handgun is the deciding factor, so long as it penetrates well enough, regardless of how sexy the bullet is.

Win white box 147 gr was at one time (not sure now, out of the loop) was the same bullet as the 147 OSM that started the 147 gr thing. LSP used the original Win 147 OSM and put a few people in the dirt with it without any horror stories.
    Last edited by LSP552; 09-07-2017 at 05:41 PM.

I'm perfectly content with carrying the white box loads from Winchester and Federal as well as the less popular UMC/Express line from Remington, if/when I run out of HST and Golden Saber. Federal's 9MS is my favorite, followed by the infamous 9BPLE. I have a stock of both of them, along with the Canadian XM9001.

I also purchased a case of Magtech's First Defense Bonded 147 JHP's along with a case of Federal 124 gr Hydra Shock, both for a great sale price from SG Ammo earlier this year. I have no idea how the Magtech stuff performs in gel. I imagine 18" or so of penetration with limited expansion. It does feed in everything I've tried it in, FWIW.
    Last edited by Clay; 09-07-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Here's one guy's opinion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQtmbW4uGMY

He tests the Winchester white box 147 gr. JHP loading and finds it works reasonably well
    Last edited by Velo Dog; 09-10-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Not sure if it's worth carrying or not but sometimes, for a variety of reasons, people carry the cheap stuff. Here is a test I did on the WWB 115gr JHP.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List