Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heeling the shot!? and general 25yd suckyness.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think I understand you are shooting a Glock 34 -- if so, how much finger are you using? If you are using a Glock, and are using just the pad of your finger, perhaps try sinking to the first crease.
    Yes, G34. putting finger on trigger maybe 1/8" before 1st crease - pretty much right in front of it. I have played with more + less, this is best I've found so far.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Yes, G34. putting finger on trigger maybe 1/8" before 1st crease - pretty much right in front of it. I have played with more + less, this is best I've found so far.
    I use less finger with a gen 3, more with a bare gen 4, not sure which gen you shoot. Just for a quick check, if you are shooting a bare gen 4, maybe shoot a group or two at the crease.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gen 4's. Will do. Thinking back most, if not all my experimenting has been done in dry practice - will definitely give it a go next session.

Decided to come up with a (hopefully) practical and logical plan for working out my issues with the fundamentals.

Any of the awesome folks (or anybody else) who have already given advice in this thread, please throw me some pointers/thoughts/advice, etc. Post #275
    pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18899-Putting-in-the-work/page28

TIA

Hey guys, I did a google search for this topic, and, low and behold, I saw this. So, I'm reviving this threat from the realms of the (mostly) dead. It figures, I should have started searching here anyway.

I recently attended a Presscheck Consulting No Fail Pistol in which a large part of the course is shot at 25 bulls. Getting ready for the course, I started really focusing on shooting bulls with a mostly stock G19, I was somewhere in the high 70s to mid eights mostly. On occasion I'd be in the very low 90s. Shooting 10 round strings, I'd often have two to three rounds high to 10:30 in the 6 to 7 ring. I chocked it up to shooter error.

I also had been doing a lot dry fire with the Mantis-X and have no problem getting mid 90s taking my time with the trigger press.

During the course, Chuck really preached to call your shots. I began trying to do so. It was then that I realized that I wasn't seeing what I needed to see. As we were shooting drills, I really began to focus on seeing the front sight rise out of the rear during recoil. I was still getting two to four rounds out of ten going high and left. During one string of fire, really focused on seeing the front sight lift up, I saw the front sight lift right as I was pressing the trigger. It was then that I realized that I was heeling the pistol being so focused on the trigger press. I SAW it! Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't manifest itself during dry fire.

I purchased a set of Dawson adjustable and put them on a Glock 34 to try. Prior to the install, I shot a 77 and a 84. With the Dawsons, I shot a 92 as I was adjusting them with no high flyers. My next few scores were 88, 90, and 90. I had a couple rounds on each target high and left. So what I found was that the Dawsons gave me much more visual feedback but, i was still heeling and not realizing it when shooting. Prior to shooting, I double plugged hoping that the reduced noise would help me psychologically. Nope.

What I now realize is that I'm blinking during the shot (mentally and physically) and I'm not seeing the heeling problem. Since it only manifests 2 to 3 rounds per string, I'm not doing it every shot. That said, as I mentally tire from shooting B8s, it happens more and more.

Does anyone have any tips for #1, teaching myself to not blink (physically or mentally) and #2, what i can do to stop heeling?

What this proves to me is that heeling is real and it is not my focal shift racing to the target and back.

Chuck discussed minimizing the "blink" in order to see what was going on, ie seeing more before and after the shot to minimize the window of the blink. Any other tips? Anyone have any drills to do to work on it?
    Last edited by drummer; 01-28-2020 at 10:14 PM.

User Tag List