Thread: J Frame Drills and Qualifications

J Frame Drills and Qualifications

Whatever you have that is J Frame specific.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter

As Claude has referenced several times, I've also found that the snubby can be tough to use for extended practice sessions unless you're using light enough loads to prevent fatigue from recoil. My 642 is one of my "never sell" guns (except maybe for a different j-frame), so I've been doing shorter, more frequent practice sessions. Any time I go to the range, I'll fire 25-50rds in a focused set of drills, like Claude's Revolver Ball/Dummy, B8s at 10y, reloads with speed strips or loaders (load 2 fire 2), or drills focused on the Press Out (draw, fire 2 on a timer).

It's kind of discouraging that so many loads do not hit even close to my point of aim with snubbies, I'll be honest.

Site Supporter
    Shoot Bill Wilson's 5 x 5 drill that IDPA now uses as an alternate classifier.

5 rnds fired with both hands
    5 rnds fired strong hand only
    5 rnds, mandatory reload, 5 rnds
    4 rnds and 1 headshot

Total of 25 rounds, all fired at 10 yards on an IDPA target

(I shot this drill a bunch of times last week with the S&W 36 3 inch I used to use as my primary off duty gun.)

I occasionally like Vermont's back-up/off-duty qualification as a howdy do and to see where I need work with pocket sized guns. The official scoring zone is huge so I personally use a B-8 repair center and try to keep a passing score in the black:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nEUxgqbgd8FF2X

Also like shooting Ohio's joke of a police qual. It adds time, retention shooting, has a reload stage with time enough to use a speed strip partial load, and goes a couple yard further out. Again, I like to use a B-8 repair center as a scoring zone plus a 3x5 card for the headbox:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Hqis80JYbPa0eS

As said, the snubby Super Test and wilson 5x5 are good. I also like the the Hayes/Werner 5^5, Ken Hackathorn's Wizard Drill, Karl Rehn's Three Seconds or Less, the Five-Yard Roundup, DTI's Defensive Handgun Proficiency Test, Ed Head's CHL Practice Drill, and occasionally Todd Green's Drill of the Week# 27. Claude Werner's Personal Protection Practice Drill leading into Dot Torture are both also great. Oh, the Kansas CPOST qual is another good one.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 07-21-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Hardwired Tactical 2 Second Standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I had not connected those particular dots, thank you Glenn.

Musing on the fact that Atlanta is but a days drive from me...hmmm...

Another thought is to check and see if a snubby class is on the plot for next years Tactical Conference in NO...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I had not connected those particular dots, thank you Glenn.

Musing on the fact that Atlanta is but a days drive from me...hmmm...

Another thought is to check and see if a snubby class is on the plot for next years Tactical Conference in NO...
    Claude mentioned a while back that he would no longer be teaching the snubby class. Thankfully he shared a written version.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Claude mentioned a while back that he would no longer be teaching the snubby class. Thankfully he shared a written version.
    As well, his DVD on the snubby is an excellent resource.

https://www.armedresponsetraining.co...p/artvs018.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List