Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HK45c Hammer Follow

HK45c Hammer Follow

My HK45c has hammer follow when, with an unloaded gun, the trigger is held to the rear and the slide is sent forward via racking the slide.

I sent it to HK. They said it was mechanically fine, but when I got it back it was doing the same thing. I talked to the head gun smith (ex 112).

He said it was a "Resonance Issue" of which they were aware that only happens on an empty chamber (snap caps or live fire it shouldn't happen) & that Germany was aware of it, but they don't consider it a safety issues.

My gun does it with a snap cap.

So...

Now what?

Go LEM?
    Sell it?
    Just accept what they say?

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet (life is being...life...) but I'm not eager to do so as, quite frankly, the guy isn't doing what it is supposed to do or what HK says it will do.

Go LEM.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If they said it's not supposed to do it with a snap cap, and it does, tell them that and see what they say the next step is. Even if you accept that the issue HK Germany is aware of isn't a safety issue, the issue you're having is demonstrably different and certainly is a safety issue.

Don't compromise!

When the heck would that ever be a problem ever? Just go shoot it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    My HK45c has hammer follow when, with an unloaded gun, the trigger is held to the rear and the slide is sent forward via racking the slide.

I sent it to HK. They said it was mechanically fine, but when I got it back it was doing the same thing. I talked to the head gun smith (ex 112).

He said it was a "Resonance Issue" of which they were aware that only happens on an empty chamber (snap caps or live fire it shouldn't happen) & that Germany was aware of it, but they don't consider it a safety issues.

My gun does it with a snap cap.

So...

Now what?

Go LEM?
    Sell it?
    Just accept what they say?

I haven't gotten to shoot it yet (life is being...life...) but I'm not eager to do so as, quite frankly, the guy isn't doing what it is supposed to do or what HK says it will do.
    If you can dry fire the gun in da, rack the slide and have the hammer follow the slide forward again and must go through a da pull again as in this video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ABY...m-upload_owner) then you have issues and I would definitely be concerned. I've never seen or had happen what you are describing with any of the 45c's I've owned but I never pinned the trigger when I was loading the weapon or running the slide forward. What variant of the gun do you have? Is it new or was it used? I have seen posts on the Pro Forum that some of these guns that were worked on by Bill Springfield had reported issues with hammer follow. There were also a few other issues/posts that reported a, "false reset" with the 45c's but that was with SA and a dead trigger. I would call back and ask if the entire gun was stripped down and get some clarification. TYR are you certified on the P series? I thought I've seen a post from one of the members here who was. If you are TYR could it be a broken flat sear spring?

Lastly I would concur with Erik, I would tell HK that this issue is occurring with a snap cap and you have major reservations about checking it in live fire I would insist they check the gun over and fire it to ensure the functional safety of the gun. Don't take no for an answer. I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-31-2017 at 07:03 PM.

I did send it to HK. They sent it back saying they test fired it and examined it finding no mechanical issues .

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    I did send it to HK. They sent it back saying they test fired it and examined it finding no mechanical issues .
    Gotcha, do you only have follow when pinning the trigger from slide lock and letting the slide forward or also like described in the video I posted above? I honestly couldn't diagnose your problem but I am genuinely curious. I would trust HK if they test fired it, I would test fire it myself and see what happens. I hope you get sorted, at the end of the day if you don't trust the firearm just get rid of it with full disclosure.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-31-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    I can get mine to do it occasionally. Had no idea, shot it exclusively for a year and it has thousands of rounds through (my guess is close to 5k). Never seen it on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    If you can dry fire the gun in da, rack the slide and have the hammer follow the slide forward again and must go through a da pull again as in this video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ABY...m-upload_owner) then you have issues and I would definitely be concerned. I've never seen or had happen what you are describing with any of the 45c's I've owned but I never pinned the trigger when I was loading the weapon or running the slide forward. What variant of the gun do you have? Is it new or was it used? I have seen posts on the Pro Forum that some of these guns that were worked on by Bill Springfield had reported issues with hammer follow. There were also a few other issues/posts that reported a, "false reset" with the 45c's but that was with SA and a dead trigger. I would call back and ask if the entire gun was stripped down and get some clarification. TYR are you certified on the P series? I thought I've seen a post from one of the members here who was. If you are TYR could it be a broken flat sear spring?

Lastly I would concur with Erik, I would tell HK that this issue is occurring with a snap cap and you have major reservations about checking it in live fire I would insist they check the gun over and fire it to ensure the functional safety of the gun. Don't take no for an answer. I sure as hell wouldn't.
    Not an HK armorer, but I love the LEM trigger, and woukd, in this instance, have it converted if I wished to keep the pistol.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List