Thread: Gang activity moving into my town - revenue sources?

Gang activity moving into my town - revenue sources?

I live in a small town not far from Salinas, CA which is overrun with gang activity including a very high murder rate. My town has experienced an increase in gang activity, a couple of recent murders and two shootings in the last week. While I live outside of town I've become increasingly concerned about the increased chance of experiencing a break-in. I'm sure gangs exploit their in-town neighborhood for revenue in terms of drugs, extortion, strong armed robbery and other means, but to what extent do (Hispanic) gangs resort to home invasions seeking guns, money and other goods?

I realize this is a hypothetical and will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but would appreciate any insight the participants in this forum might offer. In any event I'm going to install an alarm system to supplement my trusty dog while I consider moving to Idaho.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    In your area? No idea. Locally, essentially none. Assuming you aren't involved in the gang/narcotics trade yourself, home invasion are rare. The ones that do happen are generally burglaries gone wrong. Burglary is the preferred method for a few reasons, including it being safer, less chance of witnesses, etc.

Something you may be interested in: http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/pr...home-invasion/

You don't have to have an invulnerable home, you just need to be a harder target than your neighbor. In no particular order, here is the low hanging fruit:
    - Lights around exterior
    - Deadbolts
    - Door hardening (I used these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_c_x_1_w)
    - Window film on ground floor
    - Security Cameras
    - Large dog
    - Alarm

It should go without saying that your locks should actually be locked and your alarm system turned on.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
    In any event I'm going to install an alarm system to supplement my trusty dog while I consider moving to Idaho.
    Get a second dog for added security, and to keep your dog company. :-)
    If you have friends/family in Idaho- go for it- the Northern Rockies are the greatest... If you're open to it, look at Wyoming, which ranks in the top three every year for best states to retire to, and it has low crime rates, partly because the demographics are so good.
    Montana is beautiful, but only mid-pack on retirement states because of taxes other than sales tax- which is one of the few taxes they don't have.
    Good luck.

EDIT - I'm not a cop and might be out of my lane. If that's the case, ignore everything below.

[QUOTE=rdtompki;644675]I live in a small town not far from Salinas, CA QUOTE]

I have a pretty good idea where you're located, I live about 90 miles south. I know folks who live in that area and the crime sounds really bad recently. I've been told it is a turf battle between the Norteņos and the Sureņos. I have no idea if this is accurate, but it makes sense since your area is in the middle of the state, between their respective turfs.

I think you've received some good advice already. I'll add a couple of other, fairly obvious points:

1) Don't have stickers on your vehicles that indicate you own guns, hunt, etc.
    2) Be discrete with your firearms. If you're heading the range, load the car in the garage, out of sight.
    3) Keep your guns in a solid safe. Bolt the safe to the floor.

Your idea about an alarm is good too. Put up signs advertising the fact. Consider cameras too.

Stay safe and good luck.
    Last edited by Mark D; 08-31-2017 at 10:31 PM.

I try to be very discreet. We do have agriculture right across the street so during certain months there is a great deal of activity. We go to the range 2x/week; I back the car up to the garage and try not to load the car when there are workers right across the street. A LEO lives about a 1/4 mile away and he had to boot a drug dealer out of the area; dealer was selling to the workers apparently. He works in a different county and his management takes a dim view of his getting involved off hours, but he draws the line when something is going down right across from his house.

There is also apparently activity up some dead end ranch roads with folks seeking peace and quiet for illegal doings; I bicycle on these roads but have a fanny pack for carry when doing so. And, the Sheriff notes that staffing levels are way down from 10 years ago with the population booming - not good. Something happens at night and you're on your own.

Definitely going with alarm and motion activation on the lighting.

Thanks, all, for the responses.

What a small world. I called the 831 home for several years.

Some good tips on here. I used to interview prisoners when I processed them and through casual conversation they would tell me various things they look for in various crimes they commit. Pretty interesting. One thing in particular is they don't like sounds coming from a home. I've left a radio on next to the back door for years and you can hear it with doors/windows shut.

User Tag List