Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to get started

Site Supporter
    That's why the Power Pistol mang...hard for them to see the bullet holes when the cardboard lights on fire

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    LOL, I'm scared the oohs and aahs behind me would be from people discovering that I really do shoot that bad!
    Literally every single person I've run into in a match has been friendly and supportive.

I was a bit nervous shooting a Level 2 match at the Columbia Cascade regional. Heck I was squadded with @Mr_White. Talk about pressure. (Kidding. Everybody in my squad was great).

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    LOL, I'm scared the oohs and aahs behind me would be from people discovering that I really do shoot that bad!
    Just remember, even if you are last, the person that actually steps into the arena is ahead of the person that is home on the couch watching people shooting on TV!

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Just remember, even if you are last, the person that actually steps into the arena is ahead of the person that is home on the couch watching people shooting on TV!
    This.

I was 'almost' last in my most recent match, but hell, I was out there.

Tip: if there is any way to have someone video you, it is invaluable.

Look upon my suckage, and be heartened:

https://youtu.be/5UBMmlNbqVg

Also remember, even if last, your still out there going pew pew with your bang stick. The worst day shooting is still better than the best day sitting on your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Also, if indoors, load up some power pistol under your 115s...really gets the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd
    What I heard most during my dalliance with Power Pistol was "What have you got in that thing?" The blast and flash will make you feel manly.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Literally every single person I've run into in a match has been friendly and supportive.
    Yup. Tell everyone -- ESPECIALLY the range officers -- that you're a new shooter. They appreciate it, and will make an extra effort to make sure you understand the procedures.

Going to find out Sunday afternoon.
    I went to the air conditioned indoor range to adjust sights for new load that I will be using for at least the next 3500 rounds and an employee told me that he and a couple of others from the rental range staff will be at the Practical Match. We will be as helpful as they will let us.

I would advise against shooting competition. Sure, it's fun. Sure, it makes you a better, safer shooter.

But you start doing stupid things. Like getting up out of a nice warm bed at 3AM to make a match that starts at 7AM on a windy, rainy, cool Sunday morning.

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    But you start doing stupid things. Like getting up out of a nice warm bed at 3AM to make a match that starts at 7AM on a windy, rainy, cool Sunday morning.
    Got that coming up next weekend, Mississippi State IDPA. In the past, I have overnighted but this time will be doing it all in one foop to accommodate frugal friends who do not think it worth $73 to get a couple more hours of sleep. Also the restaurant that added a lot to the trip blew away in a tornado.

User Tag List