Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to get started

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match.
    Maybe ask yourself, "what is the consequence of failure?" and if you are honest with yourself, the answer will be "nuthin". You should, and I suspect you do, have no expectation of winning. So if you have an ammo problem, you will not win. If you do not have an ammo problem, you will not win. Your reloads are proven, I recently bought a Ruger 9mm 1911 and probably am 1k rounds in, and I think the only FTF/FTE type issue was with WBW from Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Lots of good advice, I can only add one thing. The only way to get started is to get started.
    Yup, and like I said, you are not going to win your first match, so the sooner you get that behind you the better

So now for the dumb question of the month.

I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match. I also don't think I should shoot Federal Hyda Shok Tactical either. So what should I shoot?

BTW I got an email from Denver Defense in Denver NC yesterday saying they were starting USPCA matches on Monday nights. While it's not close to me , it's not that far away either so here's my opportunity I guess.

I appreciate all of the info you guys have provided.
    David
    What's wrong with shooting the reloads? If they are moderately accurate there you go.
    Also is the range indoor or outdoor?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Maybe ask yourself, "what is the consequence of failure?" and if you are honest with yourself, the answer will be "nuthin". You should, and I suspect you do, have no expectation of winning. So if you have an ammo problem, you will not win. If you do not have an ammo problem, you will not win. Your reloads are proven, I recently bought a Ruger 9mm 1911 and probably am 1k rounds in, and I think the only FTF/FTE type issue was with WBW from Walmart.

Yup, and like I said, you are not going to win your first match, so the sooner you get that behind you the better
    Lol, for the record. No, I have no delusions of winning.........

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    What's wrong with shooting the reloads? If they are moderately accurate there you go.
    Also is the range indoor or outdoor?

I guess nothing is wrong with shooting reloads but having not shot in a match before I wasn't sure if it was advisable or even allowed.

It's indoor.

I grew up in Denver and actually drove past that range a few weeks ago when visiting my parents. I didn't go in...

I am new to handguns and shooting in general, but have been to a few matches where I live and think they are a lot of fun and regardless of what some people will say about the 'realism' of the scenarios and way you move and shoot at any given organization's events, I am of the mind that any situation that makes you do different things while shooting than standing square in front of a target on the range will make you a better gun handler. Ammo won't matter as you get started. If you get a failure you can practice your tap - racks.

Go have fun!
    Last edited by DC_P; 09-06-2017 at 08:52 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Most of us shoot reloads for economy and gun fit. I like subsonics and while loading them is not a LOT cheaper than econoball, it is a lot cheaper than factory subsonics.
    I know people who load differently to suit their pistol and their PCC, which seems to go against the concept, but if it improves their scores, they do it.
    There is certainly nothing against it in IDPA, IPSC, or USPSA.

HOWEVER, indoor ranges have their own rules. The only limitation I see for Denver Defense on their site is: "Acceptable ammunition is determined by the Chief RSO. Steel core, tracers, or armor piercing cartridges are NOT allowed on the range." so you should be OK.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    So now for the dumb question of the month.

I practice weekly, using reloads. 115gr FMJ RN. While my reloads are consistently reliable I'm not sure I should be shooting them in a match. I also don't think I should shoot Federal Hyda Shok Tactical either. So what should I shoot?

BTW I got an email from Denver Defense in Denver NC yesterday saying they were starting USPCA matches on Monday nights. While it's not close to me , it's not that far away either so here's my opportunity I guess.

I appreciate all of the info you guys have provided.
    David
    I use reloads to practice, whatever factory 124gr option is on Targetsports USA for cheap when it's match day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I guess nothing is wrong with shooting reloads but having not shot in a match before I wasn't sure if it was advisable or even allowed.

It's indoor.
    Reloads are common in shooting events. While new to USPSA, I have played in IDPA for several years. Most of the time that was at an indoor range. Indoor competition s are fun. Be sure to bring a flashlight as they may do some night time scenarios.

Site Supporter
    Also, if indoors, load up some power pistol under your 115s...really gets the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Also, if indoors, load up some power pistol under your 115s...really gets the "oohs" and "aahs" from the crowd

LOL, I'm scared the oohs and aahs behind me would be from people discovering that I really do shoot that bad!

User Tag List