Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get started

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I'm looking into steel matches as you guys mentioned. I'm not finding anything remotely close to me. I'm looking on steel challenge dot com.
    Dave also just look for groups that do USPSA and IDPA that hold steel type matches. I know of two groups (Central "Our Scorpions think your Spiders and pansees" Texas) here that hold different types of steel matches, but may not be listed on "steel match" sites. local gun websites may have more information as well. I would think NC would have good access to such. Are you near the border with other states? If so check those as well.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-31-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Dave also just look for groups that do USPSA and IDPA that hold steel type matches. I know of two groups (Central "Our Scorpions think your Spiders and pansees" Texas) here that hold different types of steel matches, but may not be listed on "steel match" sites. local gun websites may have more information as well. I would think NC would have good access to such. Are you near the border with other states? If so check those as well.
    Thanks! You just gave me an idea.

Beginner here also. Some random thoughts after 1 Steel and 3 USPSA matches so far for me.

Focus first on being safe and enjoying the experience. If there is an "Introduction to Action Pistol" course near you, take that.

Your equipment will probably work fine. Just get some mag pouches plus a decent OWB holster. I recently bought a Ghost pouch to try and really like it. Make sure your gun runs (is lubed) and use decent ammo.

You need to draw safely and smoothly, but don't need to go nuts on practice.

Steel is a great way to start. Just draw and shoot. For some reason hearing the ping! is a lot of fun.

Don't ignore one handed shooting. Both classifiers I've shot had one handed elements.

You lose more points hitting no shoots, misses and leaving Steel standing. Don't get too worked up on stage planning. My spirit guide @Mr_White told me "shoot the right number of holes in the right number of targets." Keep it simple. Shoot the stage methodically.

Avoid slide lock reloads. If you shoot Production, load from 11 round mags at the Make Ready. Count 10 rounds, then reload on a chambered round.

Don't go nuts on accuracy, as in, waiting to Drill a 1" group. You don't always need 2A. Get hits at the center of the target but be ok with 1A and 1C scoring sometimes, if it is as fast as you can.

Member @GJM has said shoot the close targets carefully and the far targets quickly. Point being MAKE SURE you get the points you can, but don't bust a gut trying to hit 20 yd targets.

Don't leave Steel standing. If you can practice things like Texas Stars though, do so.

Don't be afraid to shoot a Level 2 match, like a Regional Championship. The match is likely longer and more challenging, but will be well organized, likely.

Good luck and have fun!

Lots of good advice in this thread.

https://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs.php. Link to find USPSA club near you.

KISS

For my first USPSA match, hell for my first year, my only goals:

Be safe. Meaning for me, I never ran, consciously kept finger off trigger until I had a sight picture, gun always pointed down range.
    Shut up and listen. (This might only apply to me)
    Pitch in and help at matches
    Have fun

Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I'm looking into steel matches as you guys mentioned. I'm not finding anything remotely close to me. I'm looking on steel challenge dot com.
    Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol Club has 22 steel challenge.

Google your location.
    Search "nearby" for gun Ranges.
    Peruse the website of those gun ranges.

Last edited by P.E. Kelley; 08-31-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Watauga Gun Club in Boone puts on a good IDPA match and the folks up there are new shooter friendly:

http://www.wgc-idpa.org/

There is also Foothills Defensive Shooters in Wilkesboro:

http://www.foothillsidpa.com/

Following with interest. I am on the edge waiting to jump in I just havent done it yet I really want to start shooting steel challenge. I imagin it will be alot like starting jiu-jitsu showing up for the first time was that hardest everyone was supper welcoming and just wanted to help the new guy. Now I'm there 2 to 3 nights a week just starting the journey is the hard part. Now I just have to get myself to a steel match.

Quote Originally Posted by The Apprentice View Post
    Following with interest. I am on the edge waiting to jump in I just havent done it yet I really want to start shooting steel challenge. I imagin it will be alot like starting jiu-jitsu showing up for the first time was that hardest everyone was supper welcoming and just wanted to help the new guy. Now I'm there 2 to 3 nights a week just starting the journey is the hard part. Now I just have to get myself to a steel match.
    I think the gun community is probably like the Jits community (except for Paul Sharp): Welcoming...

BTW, Joliet? Come shoot IDPA this weekend: Oak Park Sportsmen's Club is in Plainfield...

Very tempting

Site Supporter
    Shooting steel with a 22 LR is a very nonstressful start to competition. Some folks are fancy pants guns. I shoot a Buckmark with a fiber optic front sight and just have fun. Yes, I have friends with space guns with the Hubble telescope mounted on them. Not me. Just ping, ping!

User Tag List