Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to get started

How to get started

So for a guy who has never shot competitively before and would like to try at an entry level with my carry gun, how would I go about getting started. My EDC is a G19 with and RMR. I think USPSA is where I want to try but I'm not sure. I've been to USPCA's website and read some. Assume I know absolutely nothing about competitive shooting and you'll be on point.
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 08-31-2017 at 07:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    USPSA is your game. Get your standard owb hip holster and a few mag pouches and you'll be shooting carry optics. I think you can load your G19 to capacity.

DO: make sure to let the match director (MD) and range officer know that you're new and they'll explain stuff.
    DO keep the gun unloaded and hammer down until they tell you to make ready. Most matches are run as a cold range.
    DO try to shoot all alphas. You're in minor power factor. Go as fast as you can safely shoot alphas.

DON'T try to catch the bullet when you are told to unload and show clear.
    DON'T break the 180 degree plane with your muzzle
    DON'T move or reload with your finger on the trigger.
    and finally DON'T try to match speed with the local GM.

Some other considerations:
    I'd join USPSA. The classifier system is a fairly accurate measure of skill, but it isn't entirely accurate.

Things like hit factor are basically just the total points of a stage, divided by it's time. High hit factors favor speed, lower ones favor accuracy.

Power factor won't be a consideration for you. Also, I believe major power factor is dumb.

And most importantly, just have fun. It's better than a day in a cubicle, even if you get dead last place. You may not shred for many years....or you may shred in a matter of months. You'll get out what you put in. And remember to be humble. People compare it a lot to golf and that you won't be tiger woods on your first match.

Also, after your first match, you'll quickly realize that a gun that runs is really almost all you need to do well. SFA,SAO,DA/SA, bore axis, caliber, TiN aftermarket barrels....none of that really matters much.

The USPSA website will list clubs. I suggest finding those club websites, seeing if your area Facebook page lists upcoming matches, and writing down when your local matches are.

Have fun man!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 08-31-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Good luck! I just signed up for my first USPSA event (tier 1). Old fart IDPA shooter waddling with the big boys. Watching some videos I think I'm gonna die!

In addition to USPSA as a starting point, I would suggest Steel Challenge type events.

Very little movement (if any) so you can concentrate on shooting well.

Courses of fire are simple to understand. (generally 5 steel plates that can be shot in any order with a designated Stop plate that is shot last)

Very little issue with breaking the 180 or other major safety violations.

Targets provide you real time feedback and you get to repeat each course of fire (stage) 5 times. This gives the new guy a chance to "figure things out".
    You get in more "Draw from Holster" practice than any other shooting sport. (we see 5 or more stages generally, so that means 25 draws)

As with nearly every shooting sport you will find friendly people that will be more than willing to help the new guy.

Steel Challenge by design is very "new guy" friendly, with 22's rifles and pistol being welcomed! I recommend Steel Challenge type events for all new action shooting
    competitors.

I am impressed that you are going to start...no matter where you start. Good luck, be safe and have fun!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

GSSF is also good for beginners....no drawing from the holsters....simple format, with both advanced and many new shooters.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    I shoot IDPA but USPSA can be fun. If you want something that isn't much running and just good for trigger pull and using sights, try Steel. It's relaxing.

My view as a FOG, like Zinc, compete against yourself for improvement and don't worry about winning. If you improve each time you shoot that is an accomplishment. In TX, you can find some nice intro courses to competition.

Just have fun. If you screw up, so what - you will learn. Even a DQ is a learning experience (assuming no one is bleeding).

Find a local club and see if they have a new shooter or safety training program. Also, many clubs host an informal "practice " session once a week with a monthly match. Everyone is willing to give advice, just be careful who you listen to!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I shoot IDPA but USPSA can be fun. If you want something that isn't much running and just good for trigger pull and using sights, try Steel. It's relaxing.

My view as a FOG, like Zinc, compete against yourself for improvement and don't worry about winning. If you improve each time you shoot that is an accomplishment. In TX, you can find some nice intro courses to competition.

Just have fun. If you screw up, so what - you will learn. Even a DQ is a learning experience (assuming no one is bleeding).
    Wisdom there. OT but hope you and yours did allright through Harvey.

Site Supporter
    Huge fan of steel matches here. Pat is right on. It's very beginner friendly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm looking into steel matches as you guys mentioned. I'm not finding anything remotely close to me. I'm looking on steel challenge dot com.

User Tag List