Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNX 9mm Kaboom

FNX 9mm Kaboom

A customer brought this in for return to FN. he was not forthcoming about what the ammo was other than it was old. When asked if it was reloaded he sort of balked at an answer. Damage to the FNX was limited to the safety/decocker - both wings blown off and the axel is no longer installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

The condition of the back of the case (breech face side) leads me to believe that's a reload.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I agree. The lack of following info from the customer reinforces it.

"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    A customer brought this in for return to FN. he was not forthcoming about what the ammo was other than it was old. When asked if it was reloaded he sort of balked at an answer.
    Following one particular failure, the ammo manufacturer emailed me a list of questions. It's obviously useful for troubleshooting and resolving the problem. It's less obviously useful for nailing the customer down to a story in the event of a suspect claim. It's readily adaptable, and may be handy to you or others in the future.

Detail the exact issue you are having:
    How much ammunition is left over?
    What is the date of incident?
    Where did the incident take place?
    What is your current address and phone number?
    What is the order #?
    What is the lot # (will be on a sticker on the end of the box above the bar code or below the bar code number)?
    What is the head stamp information?
    What type of ammunition (ex. 9mm 115 gr)
    Is the ammunition new or remanufactured?
    For the weapon used I will need the following:
    Please include a copy of your driver’s license
    What is the make and model of the firearm?
    What is the firearm serial number?
    Where and when was the firearm purchased?
    Do you have a receipt of purchase for the firearm if so please include on file
    Please include any photos of firearm damage.
    What part of the firearm is damaged and needing replaced?
    Please include any documentation from a gunsmith for damage.

Please include the following information:
    Was there powder residue in the chamber or barrel after the “failure”?
    Was there an audible noise when the trigger was pulled on the subsequent “failure”?
    Did you observe any push-ins?
    Were any of the components from the “failure” retained?
    Were there any function problems immediately preceding the “failure”? (F T Feed, FTF, FTC, FTE)
    Was there recoil variation or sound variation in the lot being fired?
    How far did the bullet travel into the barrel how many inches?
    What was the barrel length?
    Last edited by ST911; 08-30-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Are there multiple marks around the extractor grove? Could indicate it was chambered multiple times resulting in setback.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Are there multiple marks around the extractor grove? Could indicate it was chambered multiple times resulting in setback.
    Nothing obvious to the naked eye

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The condition of the back of the case (breech face side) leads me to believe that's a reload.
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    I agree. The lack of following info from the customer reinforces it.
    +1

That headstamp looks pretty worn. That's usually an indication that a case has been reloaded more than a few times. I have nothing against reloading; most of the ammo I shoot is reloads. However, it's going to be difficult to assign blame for this one to something other than the ammo unless it can somehow be proven that it was an out of battery discharge.

I explained to the customer that he was pretty much SOL for warranty coverage.

Site Supporter
    The condition of the case:
    1. Breach face side of case
    2. Rim of case
    3. Marks on side of case

all indicate multiple chambering/reloaded ammo.

I suspect a double charge in a gun whose chamber is not quite as supported as others yielded that result. I base this on a very similar looking casing I had in .45 ACP while at Gunsite in 06/07 w my Series 1 Kimber which had a fairly generous throat job from the factory based on my gun and two other examples of Stock Series 1 Kimbers in the class.

If the guy was completely forthcoming, it might be worth it to FN to replace the pistol for free or at cost as a goodwill gesture in an effort to claw out market share etc/establish a rep for superalative CS while perhaps gaining a few valuable data points.

Absent a full and complete disclosure from the owner, If I were a LGS, I would given him a decent deal on a new pistol and advise him that it was highly likely he was SOL and that I would be honest/candid w the manufacture if contacted/asked re what I think happened in this particular case.

Site Supporter
    I noted that the primer does not look "that bad". Back in the days of USPSA we ran 9mm and 9x21 very hot and I would expect that primer to be flat. The casing definitely looks like a reload. Pure conjecture but looks like a "warm" reload, in a weak case, in a less than perfect supported barrel. The case may have been bulged previously by an unsupported barrel, resized, reloaded and that made a weak spot.

User Tag List