Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evil military equipment in police hands results in citizen death....

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I think his point is that's the only real weapon being given out, the rest is armor or other defensive things.

My rifle and optic are both DRMO sourced.
    Yeah reading comprehension is not one of my strong points.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Yeah reading comprehension is not one of my strong points.

In fairness, I had to think about how to word the response. My initial response was "it's the only one that's offensive" and then realized that "offensive" has at least two applicable meanings.

I've had a Colt DRMO rifle for probably 7-ish years now. They are pinned to Semi only. It's a great rifle, and I'll have a sad when I have to turn it back in. The "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" rule is kind of 'tarded, IMO, but that's the current reality.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    I don't get the outrage by some sectors about LE getting some military surplus stuff. Other than M16s every military surplus item I have seen in LE hands is neutral or defensive in nature with no offensive or weapons being sent to LE agencies. MRAPs, old 113 APCs,HMMWVs and other vehicles, and any safety gear like NVGs,Chemical suits and the like do nothing to harm any citizen in any way. Most items are already available to LE agencies and since both LE and Military are tax payer funded does anyone want surplus equipment just sitting somewhere and rotting? Sure some radical leftists and cop haters may but no one I know with half a reasonable thought wants a field full of MRAPs or wharehouse full of gear just sitting and going to waste.
    I agree completely, I think the only downside to stuff like the MRAP's and the like is the maintenance cost associated with them. If the dept. is small, (I'm not saying that they don't need them because when you need something like and armored truck you NEED it) but I am sure funds would be better suited in being dropped into coms, newer vehicles, maintenance for older units, armor, regular firearms skills development etc. I am glad though that some of that stuff can get passed down. It is great to see stuff go to guys that can actually put it to use, I've seen way to much gear sit around and go to waste working for Uncle Sugar. 1033 was a win in my book for sure. Does anyone know if older NVG's like PVS7's or 14's are 1033, what about LAD's like the PAC4's or the PEQ-2's, etc? Just curious.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-31-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I agree completely, I think the only downside to stuff like the MRAP's and the like is the maintenance cost associated with them. If the dept. is small, (I'm not saying that they don't need them because when you need something like and armored truck you NEED it) but I am sure funds would be better suited in being dropped into coms, newer vehicles, maintenance for older units, armor, regular firearms skills development etc. I am glad though that some of that stuff can get passed down. It is great to see stuff go to guys that can actually put it to use, I've seen way to much gear sit around and go to waste working for Uncle Sugar. 1033 was a win in my book for sure. Does anyone know if older NVG's like PVS7's or 14's are 1033, what about LAD's like the PAC4's or the PEQ-2's, etc? Just curious.
    America seems to need a fleet of water cannons too. Like I see in vids from Europe and Latin America flushing the streets of riff raff.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We should ask the journalists whom took cover behind the APC in Ferguson how they feel about police using military equipment.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I agree completely, I think the only downside to stuff like the MRAP's and the like is the maintenance cost associated with them.
    How much is the maintenance cost associated with them?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How much is the maintenance cost associated with them?
    I can't give you an exact figure but DOD has spent between 60-100k a year maintaining them overseas. Use would obviously be much less but shit breaks more when it sits that when it gets used in my experience. When I just think about fuel, tires, standard maintenance and keeping the auxiliary systems maintained so things like your air assisted doors will work I don't think it will come cheap. I am sure maintenance costs vary by model but finding someone who can do the work will probably also be a challenge. I don't know how many grants or if there are any to keep the things running once a dept. takes ownership. This is just speculation on my part knowing the little I was exposed to while deployed using them. The maintenance contractors that started to fill in for some of the green suiter mechanics did not come cheap. So I know the figures I have are inflated due to that.

edited to add: I would think that the maintenance costs would be much lower here in the states as the vehicles aren't being driven in the worst possible conditions or having explosives used against them causing rebuilds but I would still imagine the cost to be high for a dept. on a budget. I am not advocating for the departments not to have them as I think based on the threats we are seeing these days they are a good idea. For that matter I'd gladly pay more in taxes to see all units have armor, or we can trim a little fat off of some politicians salaries. I was just wanting to point out that there is a cost associated with MRAP's. I do hope I am wrong though and they don't cost that kind of money I think officers need the best possible tools we can afford them, without question we owe it to them. When you ask someone to sign away and put their life at risk you owe it to them to equip them with the best possible training and equipment.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-31-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    What's wrong with the m16s? Before rifles we had to work a perimeters with pistols and shotguns, and they got worked at pistol and shotgun distances. I don't have a magic crystal ball that tells me that rifles solve every problem, but we've had several shootings that could have possibly been resolved without violence if we had a little more room to work with.
    Zero problem with rifles and I was a big supporter of our patrol rifle program including suggesting we sell our 2 sequential serial number tommy guns to buy more. They were ARs equipped similarly to M4s currently in use. My only issue with M16s is LE has almost no need ever for full auto. More particularly for patrol use where M16s are likely to be deployed. That isn't me suggesting no full auto capable weapons for any LE as in some specialized units and circumstances it is reasonable. However if M16s are to be offered to LE agencies I hope they convert them to semi auto trigger groups or are deployed carefully to those who should have them. Just to make it 100% clear I am not against M16s being in the program or going out to LE agencies for use. My only issue is the full auto capability and it's reasonableness for LEOs.

ETA after reading more posts I meant offensive as it relates to offense vs defense not the alternate meaning of offending delicate sensibilities.
    Last edited by octagon; 08-31-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Zero problem with rifles and I was a big supporter of our patrol rifle program including suggesting we sell our 2 sequential serial number tommy guns to buy more. They were ARs equipped similarly to M4s currently in use. My only issue with M16s is LE has almost no need ever for full auto. More particularly for patrol use where M16s are likely to be deployed. That isn't me suggesting no full auto capable weapons for any LE as in some specialized units and circumstances it is reasonable. However if M16s are to be offered to LE agencies I hope they convert them to semi auto trigger groups or are deployed carefully to those who should have them. Just to make it 100% clear I am not against M16s being in the program or going out to LE agencies for use. My only issue is the full auto capability and it's reasonableness for LEOs.

ETA after reading more posts I meant offensive as it relates to offense vs defense not the alternate meaning of offending delicate sensibilities.
    In Texas many PD have AR/M16/M4 carbines in their vehciles as standard. I know the sheriffs where I grew up had ARs in their vehicles and that was decades ago. I don't believe they were select fire. Personally I'd be leery of select fire unless trained and and well practice in their use, but thats just me.

As a nonPD person, I am not leery of equipment-except for increased cost for maintenance on equipment rarely used as budgets are always tight. The OP's reference to night vision equipment, while that may be problematic with lots of lights about, I think its could be a great tool.

Question: the surplus equipment already acquired, has it been decent or was it worn out? I'd be leery of getting clunkers pawned off. Is that a concern?
    (to those helping in Harvey-stay safe guys!)
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-31-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Question: the surplus equipment already acquired, has it been decent or was it worn out?
    Some of each.

User Tag List