Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Evil military equipment in police hands results in citizen death....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I agree completely, I think the only downside to stuff like the MRAP's and the like is the maintenance cost associated with them. If the dept. is small, (I'm not saying that they don't need them because when you need something like and armored truck you NEED it) but I am sure funds would be better suited in being dropped into coms, newer vehicles, maintenance for older units, armor, regular firearms skills development etc. I am glad though that some of that stuff can get passed down. It is great to see stuff go to guys that can actually put it to use, I've seen way to much gear sit around and go to waste working for Uncle Sugar. 1033 was a win in my book for sure. Does anyone know if older NVG's like PVS7's or 14's are 1033, what about LAD's like the PAC4's or the PEQ-2's, etc? Just curious.
    I am the 1033 guy for my agency. Yes, lots of NVGs are out there on 1033. In the last 5-10 years they have been sparse because they were needed overseas and the previous administration was frowny about those items going out. Same with body armor. The talk is that things will start flowing again soon with the new President and with the war somewhat slowing down.

We have a pile of PEQ2's that are waiting to be destroyed. I'm about to retire our Atilla-200's as well since we were able to acquire PEQ15's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    I am the 1033 guy for my agency. Yes, lots of NVGs are out there on 1033. In the last 5-10 years they have been sparse because they were needed overseas and the previous administration was frowny about those items going out. Same with body armor. The talk is that things will start flowing again soon with the new President and with the war somewhat slowing down.

We have a pile of PEQ2's that are waiting to be destroyed. I'm about to retire our Atilla-200's as well since we were able to acquire PEQ15's.
    Body armor?

I'm very much pro-DRMO/1033, but I do want to ask what sort of body armor are/were they sending out? PASGT and interceptor vests with broken ceramic plates?

Also, how are PDs typically using this body armor? I would guess that most PDs already have more suitable body armor between budgets, private purchase, charities and grants.

I'm not trying to diss the program, just curious. Thanks for sharing your inside knowledge on the program.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-31-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Body armor?

I'm very much pro-DRMO/1033, but I do want to ask what sort of body armor are/were they sending out? PASGT and interceptor vests with broken ceramic plates?

Also, how are PDs typically using this body armor? I would guess that most PDs already have more suitable body armor between budgets, private purchase, charities and grants.

I'm not trying to diss the program, just curious. Thanks for sharing your inside knowledge on the program.
    Mostly OLD rifle plates. The ones I saw were from the early 2000's. We have some old school stuff from the 80's. No soft armor that I know of. Lots of helmets, that sort of thing.

Soft body armor is very common in LE. Rifle plates are common in SWAT circles and some more progressive agencies. Most cops do not have any. The agency around here that had a bunch issued a set of plates to every officer in a plate carrier. They weren't used very often and mostly sat in the trunk, but it was a nice thought.

I personally would never issue guys expired (and non x-rayed used) plates. I actually took all our old plates we had on the team and had them destroyed so I couldn't be ordered to issue them out since they were "better than nothing".

DOD actually discontinued releasing any body armor due to fear of liability. "What if someone got shot with a 1033 plate and sued the DOD". Ridiculous, right? Well that's how it starts.

User Tag List