Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for another EDC

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    I would pick a carry gun that has the features that you like. Then I would buy a second version of your carry gun. Take the second gun and attempt to wear it out from training and practice of what you have learned from training.
    This. If you only own a few pistols, they should all function more or less identically in order to build proficiency and have backup copies of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by vilacr View Post
    I'm mainly looking for an extra carry firearm to change up from time to time.
    This is not really a good reason to change your carry pistol. The money would be better spent either buying another M&P9c or an M&P9 to go with it, or simply on ammunition and range time.

Carry pistols aren't talismans. They're tools designed to be used to save your life from an assailant. Here's a good read on the "carry rotation."
    Last edited by Nephrology; 08-29-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This. If you only own a few pistols, they should all function more or less identically in order to build proficiency and have backup copies of the same.

This is not really a good reason to change your carry pistol. The money would be better spent either buying another M&P9c or an M&P9 to go with it, or simply on ammunition and range time.

Carry pistols aren't talismans. They're tools designed to be used to save your life from an assailant. Here's a good read on the "carry rotation."
    Point taken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

I can't agree with this more. If the M&P9c is working for you as a carry gun, go buy another one or a full sized version of it and make sure it works. Buying something different just to have something different is why you have your range toys (I.e. 92, 1911, etc.).

Buy another M&P9c, then run a case of ammo through it, then run 50-100 rounds of your choice of defense loads through it. Then buy another case of ammo or two and shoot all that up through your carry guns. Then come back and see if you really want something new.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Please stay away from the p320.

Get a Glock and be happy.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

My recommendation would be based on your current skill level.

It could run the gamut from a M&P in .22lr for a beginner (simply to work on fundamentals with a similar action to your current carry piece) to a snub nose 442/642 for a more skilled shooter (for a BUG to your carry piece) to another M&P in .40 just to add variety to ammunition caliber. I know that when ammo was hard to find, having 9s, 40s, and .45s as well as .38/.357 made it possible to find ammo anywhere. If they were out of 9 I had other choices. My range trips were all based on what I could find to shoot so I would mix it up with revolver only days and 1911 only days.

I used to buy every pistol I could find (younger/single days) and I shot them a bunch before selling/trading them off.....so I "get" the desire to buy something new and exciting. I bet the majority of folks on this forum "get" that aspect.

I can tell you that the classes that I have been to and the cases of ammunition that I have shot.......as well as the steel target I bought, have all benefited me more than buying a new gun. I've got a ton of range toys that honestly, collect a lot of dust in the safe. My carry pieces (and now, my duty weapon) are all Glocks. I, like you, used to hate the grip angle and I swore I'd never buy one.

My first PD job I decided to try a Glock 27 as a BUG to my issued Beretta 96. Half a case of .40 later and I was sold on them.

Hopefully, you have a local range where you can try out different models. The G19 or 26 are hard to beat. I've heard good things about the P320 but I'd wait on that until Sig gets the drop safe thing worked out. Walther PPS gets great reviews too.

Good luck in it.
    Last edited by lwt16; 08-29-2017 at 07:46 AM.

I keep wanting to switch to something else other than a Glock 17 (17 cut to 19 actually) but I'll end up spending a lot of money better spent on a spare and more ammo. I wanted to go PX4 until I watched a video of detail stripping one. A monkey with a twig and take a Glock apart and put it back together, I like that and I'm an engineer. Cheap parts and Magpul even makes mags for the 9mm, my 21 round mags are so far so good. Also, on the grip thing, mine has been flattened, stippled, undercut and chopped....I want to go back to stock now. If I could only buy a Gen 4 stripped frame as cheap as a Gen 3.

PX4 Compact 9mm, G model for under 4 bills.

https://gun.deals/node/448781

Glock 19 Gen 4 for 469.99 with code GUN500.

https://gun.deals/node/472106

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 08-29-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_[ View Post
    I keep wanting to switch to something else other than a Glock 17 (17 cut to 19 actually) but I'll end up spending a lot of money better spent on a spare and more ammo. I wanted to go PX4 until I watched a video of detail stripping one. A monkey with a twig and take a Glock apart and put it back together, I like that and I'm an engineer. Cheap parts and Magpul even makes mags for the 9mm, my 21 round mags are so far so good. Also, on the grip thing, mine has been flattened, stippled, undercut and chopped....I want to go back to stock now. If I could only buy a Gen 4 stripped frame as cheap as a Gen 3.
    It seems as though many people love glocks. Are they really that good? I too am an engineer, I love tinkering
    I was leaning towards the beretta (I feel the trigger would be safer for holstering, just me), but the glock recommendations are causing me to re-examine and start looking into the G19

They are the Honda Civic of guns. They're not oerfect, everyone who has one hates it but it works, OEM and aftermarket parts are everywhere and cheap, they're well vetted. The list goes on. Yeah, there are issues here and there but by and large you can buy an stock Glock and know it will run. Want a holster and everyone makes holsters for it in any size, shape, color or configuration.

As far as safety, keep the trigger guard clear and holster cautiously. I've been carry a Glock AIWB for 6 or so years and my anatomy is intact.

I would suggest that if you buy one, take it to a local bullseye shooter or the likes and have them coach you while transitioning. Swallow the pride. I'm lucky in that a good buddy of mine has won a few championships and coaches me for free.

Quote Originally Posted by vilacr View Post
    It seems as though many people love glocks. Are they really that good? I too am an engineer, I love tinkering
    I was leaning towards the beretta (I feel the trigger would be safer for holstering, just me), but the glock recommendations are causing me to re-examine and start looking into the G19
    Define good.

They've been good enough for me since 1988 but I'm a more "practical" shooter and have no active interest in competitions and bullseye shooting per se.

While I appreciate all fine firearms, I'm not inclined to accumulate a houseful of them, and try instead to focus on the handguns, rifles and shotguns which I carried while employed in various arenas of federal law enforcement from the early 80's through the 2000's.
    Last edited by blues; 08-29-2017 at 09:03 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List