Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non emergency reloads......

I'm fine with that so long as everyone on my team gets to perform an in-battery "speed" reload, because if time is a factor that is what I would teach and what I would do. Retaining the magazine is a very low order priority for me, and even moreso if I've got yet another full spare magazine on my belt even after reloading the gun.
    I don't disagree with this at all, but the OP framed the question around retention versus tac reloads and not speed reloads. If a gun fight has gotten to the point that I am having to reload, the gun fight isn't going well...

Conversely, I'd say if you can remember to retrieve the magazine from whichever pocket you put it in, in whichever orientation it's sitting, under stress, great.

The difference is that presumably I'm only performing the mag stowage when I'm in control and feel like I have the time/safety to do so, whereas I may need that spare magazine (wherever it is) under immediate life-or-death circumstances and the stress that goes with it.
    That is a very reasonable statement when taken in that context. If the question is which is the fastest way to complete the initial reload, I think the timer would show going to a pocket is faster. If the question is having to retrieve the partial mag and perform a reload with it, that adds to the dynamic some. Would the faster storage method be negated by a slower secondary retrieval? Clothing styles and pocket contents would also have an impact on that as well.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jlweems View Post
    I don't disagree with this at all, but the OP framed the question around retention versus tac reloads and not speed reloads.
    Understood. And my original comment was that worrying about the time factor for either was a red herring. You continued to focus on the time factor, so I'm saying that if time is a factor I'm going to do it the fast way, not the medium-slow way. Debating whether it takes more time to put a mag in a pouch or a pocket seems like splitting hairs when obviously both options are far slower than a speed reload. Either time matters or it doesn't.

Would the faster storage method be negated by a slower secondary retrieval?
    This might matter in a game context where (a) both the stowage and retrieval are equally "on the clock" and (b) both steps will be undertaken with the same level of stress. Outside of that limited context, though, there is a difference in the likelihood of both time requirements and stress between the two steps. If you have the time and wherewithal to perform any kind of retention reload, odds are you are less stressed and less pressed for time than if your gun goes dry while something evil is still standing. As such, I'd put more weight on having a fast reload from the stowed mag than a fast stowage of that mag.

I'm an IPSC guy so for me all my reloads are dump the mag and go. However I get to participate in force on force training a fair bit. My first time (and I was badguy) I was given an extra mag. During the scenario I barricaded myself in a room and reloaded. My natural instinct, having never practiced this, was remove mag, put in pocket and grab new mag and insert. To me it made sense, didn't require handling two mags and was fast. All the things I prefer. Is it right? I don't know. But I've done it that way almost overtime since.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List