Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Air Force Adopts Magpul GEN M3 PMAG

Site Supporter

US Air Force Adopts Magpul GEN M3 PMAG

US Air Force Adopts Magpul GEN M3 PMAG

According to a document entitled, “USAF Authorized Small Arms and Light Weapons (SA/LW) Accessories (as of 28 July 17)”, the US Air Force has followed USSOCOM and the Marine Corps’ lead and adopted the 30rd Magpul GEN M3 PMAG in both Black and Tan. Specifically, they are authorized for use with the M4/M4A1 Carbine, GUU-5P (sic) Carbine, and M249 Automatic Rifle (sic).
    http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/29...edium=facebook

Very interesting. So this will be Air Force wide? PJ's, TACP, STS, Security Forces and all?

Whenever I see the PMag print ad touting adoption by the 'Corps, I question if that approval includes "PMags with Windows" as depicted in the ad, or is Magpul just embellishing... Do we have any active duty Marines here?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MontWyDaho View Post
    Whenever I see the PMag print ad touting adoption by the 'Corps, I question if that approval includes "PMags with Windows" as depicted in the ad, or is Magpul just embellishing... Do we have any active duty Marines here?
    The Marines adopted the Gen 3 with window in Black and Coyote (NSN 1005-01-659-7086 ) instead of the Army's tan GI mag with the blue follower.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Very interesting. So this will be Air Force wide? PJ's, TACP, STS, Security Forces and all?

Yes.

previously issued magazines are to be replaced by the GEN M3 PMAG through attrition.
    Push is to standardize all the services on M855A1 5.56mm ammunition which requires either the Army EPM mag of the Pmag Gen3.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-29-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MontWyDaho View Post
    No longer Active, but my son is. MagPul is not embellishing. USMC authorized magazines for deployment are the MagPul Gen 3 widow magazines in Black or MCT. if I had to guess, I would say they specified the window version so as to easily identify the gen3 version from earlier versions of the PMAG. The Gen3 version was specified as it works for the HK M27's when using M855A1 ammunition.

The Marine Corps is still the Marine Corps and a lack of funding is still the norm. My son is in a Fleet unit and there is a shortage of SLAP plates for plate carriers. My son's unit is in Hawaii and has been recently notified that if things kick off in N. Korea, the entire unit has 72 hours from notification to being operational within Korea. When he called to talk last week and happened to mention this, I used my LE account from Brownells. He received a care package this morning that contained 8 of the MCT Gen 3 windowed PMAGS.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Marines adopted the Gen 3 with window in Black and Coyote (NSN 1005-01-659-7086 ) instead of the Army's tan GI mag with the blue follower.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    No longer Active, but my son is. MagPul is not embellishing. USMC authorized magazines for deployment are the MagPul Gen 3 widow magazines in Black or MCT. if I had to guess, I would say they specified the window version so as to easily identify the gen3 version from earlier versions of the PMAG. The Gen3 version was specified as it works for the HK M27's when using M855A1 ammunition.

The Marine Corps is still the Marine Corps and a lack of funding is still the norm. My son is in a Fleet unit and there is a shortage of SLAP plates for plate carriers. My son's unit is in Hawaii and has been recently notified that if things kick off in N. Korea, the entire unit has 72 hours from notification to being operational within Korea. When he called to talk last week and happened to mention this, I used my LE account from Brownells. He received a care package this morning that contained 8 of the MCT Gen 3 windowed PMAGS.
    Thank you for your service, and to your young Marine for standing guard on our behalf.
    So PMag Gen3 WITH Windows- cool.

For the Army guys - they are available as a Class IX item.

Site Supporter
    So when the Army tested M855A1 mags the magpul gen 3 was actually the top performer.

The 158 page document lays out the evaluation in the first 50 pages and then includes additional information in a 100-page appendix section.

It’s not until page 38 that the report details findings, showing that vendor Foxtrot performed better in the test in the M4A1 and M27 than any other magazine evaluated.

Vendor Foxtrot is Magpul Industries Corp., according to the TheFirearmBlog. Military.com has reached out to Magpul, but the company has not responded.
    The Air Force recently told Military.com that it relied on the information in the 2015 test report to make its decision to replace Army magazines with Magpul’s Gen 3 PMAG, according to Air Force officials.

The test report appears to show that the Army knew that Magpul PMAGs was the top performer and still went out and developed its new Enhanced Performance Magazine, which the service introduced in 2016.

https://kitup.military.com/2017/09/a...gpul-pmag.html

User Tag List