Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Punisher Skull on a Self Defense Firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Steak & Red wine. Sells itself.
    You just put that shit out there and people eat it.

If you need to do mental contortions or take people down a twisted path of “Because…well…” to explain why something was done…
    Roast cat.
    You can package that as “Authentic Chinese Food!” all you want.
    I’m not paying for it. If given it, I won’t eat it. Sell it – yeah, not on commission.
    From your keyboard to babe's eyes...

Some of the best analogy for not being a fuckup I've ever read.

In fact, I'm gonna just start implementing this into my lexicon. Next time someone comes to me and asks for advice on not being a fuckup, I'll respond, "Would you rather sell roasted cat masquerading as "authentic Chinese food", or steak and red wine?"

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I feel so moved to weigh in here for a sec, just to thank the experts who chimed in on this—the attorneys, and the folks with the blue lines above their profile pics. You know who you are, and so do we, as it's not the first time y'all have chimed in with the voice of experience in the middle of a useful thread.

I especially want to thank Mitchell, noting:

Jesus, dude... you dropped some epic long-term strategic knowledge bombs here.

I remained uncharacteristically silent while folowing this thread, because I knew nothing of the subject... at least until good people started piling on the info.

Learning has occurred.

Probably enough that I could go make a convincing ass of myself in a lesser-quality forum, should I desire.

Yeah, let's pin/sticky this one for posterity. Awesome.
    I can honestly say that about 90% of the reason I made a joking post in this thread is that I actually thought it was finished. Like I literally actually read it, thought, "Okay, this is over. We have actually seen the maximum level of quality informational input that can be achieved in a thread on this subject on the internet."

So I was like "what the hell, make a joke, all the good info has been laid out and handled anyway"

But actually...it just kept going, approaching some kind of informational singularity.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    As for dropping some more...

Think about how you would explain what alterations you made to your car if you were in a fatal accident.

You could easily explain why you chose to have tires that were better than the original equipment manufacturer. It would not be hard to explain why you chose upgraded headlights which better vision at night. Why was the steering and suspension system works over by a professional mechanics to make the car handle that much more smoothly and precisely? Because control while you are on the road is appropriate and eminently reasonable.

Conversely if you are driving a car that is poorly maintained are on tires that are not acceptable for a speed rating for your vehicle then it is not hard to paint you as someone who caused the death of another person through your own disregard of other people's safety.
    An appropriate analogy,given the planeloads of people who die weekly driving a car.

As a car guy with the keys to a Camaro on his nightstand, I find it equal parts sad and ironic that it's harder to buy a gun then it is a 400 HP sports car: even though the latter exponentially more likely to kill someone.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    So, I should take my "I can't drive 55" sticker" off my truck"? Show me the case law where a I can't drive 55 sticker was the issue in a conviction for a speed relatated injury/fatal collision.......I have rights��.
    Just because one has rights does not mean that exercising those rights is always without consequence.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    From your keyboard to babe's eyes...

Some of the best analogy for not being a fuckup I've ever read.

In fact, I'm gonna just start implementing this into my lexicon. Next time someone comes to me and asks for advice on not being a fuckup, I'll respond, "Would you rather sell roasted cat masquerading as "authentic Chinese food", or steak and red wine?"
    A guy whose name you might recognize, Mike Kojima, expressed it simply, "Do you want to go fast, or do you want to suck?"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

"I can't drive 55" sticker"
    You sure dated yourself with that one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    So, I should take my "I can't drive 55" sticker" off my truck"? Show me the case law where a I can't drive 55 sticker was the issue in a conviction for a speed relatated injury/fatal collision.......I have rights��.
    Speaking of dating yourself ..., ;-)

Last edited by HCM; 09-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Here's some pictures of prosecutors displaying weapons at trials in
    San Antonio:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years...in-6018414.php

There is a car bumper for Darryl.
    A gun pointed at the prosecutor's head.
    A machete
    Some ARs and AKs. Particularly fun is the use of an AK as a pointer.
    A piece of junk 25 ACP, looks like.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    If a Shit Mod doesn't make this a sticky, I will throw an Internet conniption.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Dude; the Clinch Pick is a great blade for gardening and fruit/veggie eating. Seriously, peel an apple or something with it and you will get it.

The example is explanation. If you have an easily articulable explanation that can be so obvious it's hard to argue with, the item or mod is not worth worrying about. I use my Clinch Pick regularly, in front of friends, family and coworkers, to do everyday stuff like eat or sharpen my kids pencils.
    Okay, I get this, but I don't really get this. What's wrong with carrying something that's specifically intended for self-defense (and I realize this will vary widely based on jurisdiction, so let's play "worst case scenario")?

The SOB Puncher recently became legal in Texas (the "dagger/dirk" provision was repealed... I think). I've never bought one because it was, "specifically for self-defense." When I asked how that accusation could be addressed in court, I received the reply, "Nonsense. It's a plastic gardening implement."

Why is it somehow more credible to claim that you just happen to carry around a "plastic gardening implement" at all times, rather than to say, "I have it for self-defense"? I don't understand why we have to be seen using a knife for "common tasks" to explain the fact that we carry it all the time.

<And this isn't directed specifically at you, Mr. O&D, just a question in general.>
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If a Shit Mod doesn't make this a sticky, I will throw an Internet conniption.

Okay, I get this, but I don't really get this. What's wrong with carrying something that's specifically intended for self-defense (and I realize this will vary widely based on jurisdiction, so let's play "worst case scenario")?

The SOB Puncher recently became legal in Texas (the "dagger/dirk" provision was repealed... I think). I've never bought one because it was, "specifically for self-defense." When I asked how that accusation could be addressed in court, I received the reply, "Nonsense. It's a plastic gardening implement."

Why is it somehow more credible to claim that you just happen to carry around a "plastic gardening implement" at all times, rather than to say, "I have it for self-defense"? I don't understand why we have to be seen using a knife for "common tasks" to explain the fact that we carry it all the time.

<And this isn't directed specifically at you, Mr. O&D, just a question in general.>
    And I agree with you that it shouldn't be an issue and in many places it may not be.

I am very aware of the fact that we as Americans are a gun culture far more than we are a knife culture. Shooting someone in self defense is a scenario that many, if not most, Americans could imagine themselves in given the right setup. It is far more impersonal than stabbing the shit out of a guy on a concrete floor because he slammed your head into it. Speaking psychologically, regarding the ability of random American to empathize with the circumstances.

I really don't want to ever be the bloody horror show picture of a guy that just prevailed in a knife fight to the death. But if I do, I want a dozen friends and coworkers that can help paint the other picture of a friendly bud that peeled their apple once because he always has that funny knife that he picks his tomatoes with. I'd rather have to use flying in a Craig Douglas to testify on my behalf as a 3rd line of defense than my first if possible.

User Tag List