Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old School Cool Holster, New Twist Milt Sparks Style!

Old School Cool Holster, New Twist Milt Sparks Style!

Friends,

For those who know me, it is no secret that I am a very big aficionado of the .44 Magnum/long range handgunning, Elmer Keith writings, Western history, cool gunleather, and Old School cowboy stuff. Over on the 24 hour campfire (which we have a few members here) I started a thread entitled 44 Magnum Pics and discussion thread. That thread has been going on since 2008, and has had over 700K views! Apparently there are more than a few people who truly appreciate the fine .44 magnum!

One great part of that thread we have all shared is discussion of great gun leather. For those who have viewed or participated, it is again no secret that I am a big fan of Milt Sparks leather. I will just say this. I am Scottish. I learned a long time ago, that paying too little is a false economy, and in the long run, you end up quite often paying twice. If you are a guy who uses your gear a lot or go in harms way (or bear country), you are better off to buy high quality gear that is built to last a lifetime. I am still using Milt Sparks rigs that have seen 2+ decades of service and are still going strong. Even a Scotsman can see that this is a smart move!

Over the course of time I have become good friends with the guys at the shop. Solid, straight forward guys, and serious shooters. They are also well aware of my love of the .44, and the associated history. Knowing this they informed me of a project they had in mind and wanted to discuss it with me.

The 200AW is one of the most famous holsters known in regards to the .44 Magnum/N Frames. Elmer Keith wore one for years. He had suggested the addition of a piece of leather over the hammer, so as to prevent the hammer spur on the big Smiths from shredding the linings on jackets.

This addition over previous iterations of the holster proved to be outstanding and I can personally attest to the fact that the holster works extremely well as a field rig, as well as a concealed rig for wintertime carry under a jacket.

Also the adjustable welt was added, which meant that there was no longer a need for a safety strap over the top. The tension could be adjusted by the user.

The holster has been a standard by which others have been judged for decades, in my opinion. Now a friend at the shop informed me of a new project..

In the true tradition of the region, a craftsman was found who could do something truly unique with the 200AW. He has quite a unique background. A true Cowboy. Having worked for both ranches, as well as outfitter and guide services for decades, while also perfecting his saddle/tack making skill set, he is a true artist with leather. I had called him to talk with him for a few minutes, and ended up talking with the man for over an hour. It ended up he was in Jordan Valley Oregon (the very heart of ranch country in the West). I told him that it was a small world, as I met my bride at the "Big Loop", which was at the time a buckaroo rodeo where the main event was where you roped wild mustangs that they brought in off of the range.

It was like talking to an old friend. While we had never met, it was interesting, as we had been over many of the same very remote places, just at different points in time. Great guy, and cut from a cloth you just don't get to see much of these days.

Back on track. The Milt Sparks guys, seeing a rare opportunity, and finding just the right person, have commissioned Tom to carve 200 AWs in the "Sheridan" style, one at a time. These take a considerable amount of time to do each one, and I do not know how long this run of holsters will go on for. Tom (the saddle maker) is the only guy doing them.

They will only be for 4" N Frames, and right handed.

The shop sent me out one for T&E, and to play with for a while. To say that I am both excited (and humbled) is more than a bit of an understatement! :grin: This is one heavy duty holster!

This is the type of rig that you pass down to the next generation, and I can easily see a grandkid looking at a picture, while holding the holster and saying "This is the gun and holster that my grandpa carried!". It is flat out beautiful.

BTW, the grips it is wearing are from another great Idaho outfit, Herretts stocks of Twin Falls. These pics don't do the grips (or stocks in Herretts lingo) justice). When you move around in the sun, they shine at different angles.

Amazing grips, and they are perfect for the heirloom quality leather.

More to follow!

I stopped by the Herretts shop the other day and spoke with the owner Rod Herrett, as I had not spoken with him for a very long time. Rod took over the business from his dad Steve in 1985, who started the business in 1955. I figured I needed to get some grips (or stocks as Herretts calls them) to really show off the leather and the gun. Rod serious hooked me up!

Obviously I am just a shooter/not a photographer and was just using a little instant camera, but is hard not to see the beauty in these:

Troopers:

Ropers:

My pictures really don't do them justice, but when you move in the sunlight, they change colors a bit. It is hard not to smile when you handle the gun/leather/grips combo!

Now I need a fixed blade knife for the belt to complete a rig! I keep thinking it would be pretty badass to pop a Mule Deer this winter using this rig!

Number one on the list.....repeat.....Dagga boy is number one on the list. One of my favorites, and I NEED this!
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

BTW,

This holster has not been offered or announced yet

I just got to play with this pre production piece.

If you have questions, ask to talk to Jim (The VP) at the Sparks shop. He is the driving force behind the project.

I don't know squat about prices, delivery times, how many the saddle maker will do, etc. He is in his 70s, and he told me he has arthritis in his hands, so I know he only works X amount of hours a day, and calls it a day.

Bottom line is that I am a long time customer, turned friend, who got sent this one to play with!

I guess some people actually do pay attention to my online ramblings!!

BTW, Jim was telling me a bit about how these are built. Old School style, dried in the sun, all very traditional. I may have to drive over one of these days and spend a day in the shop watching. I would love to see the process!

Speaking of the shop, I was telling him that from an outsider's perspective, the shop is such a cool place, he does not realize it. The smells, the knives, the guns used to block the holsters, etc. I was telling him a coffee table book, with some of the stuff from Tony Kanaley's and Milt Sparks' era up to today would be super cool. Lots of very neat stuff. They just see it as day to day tools of the trade. But for long time customers and guys who appreciate the craftsmanship of it all, it is an opportunity to get a glimpse into a world that few ever do, and truly appreciate all the work that goes into building a fine holster, as compared to a mass produced, soulless piece of plastic.

I'd love to convince those guys to do a coffee table book!

I see it as part of our shooting history.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Number one on the list.....repeat.....Dagga boy is number one on the list. One of my favorites, and I NEED this!

It gets better!

Trust me! there is something else you are REALLY going to LOVE!

I am already saving my pennies!

Damn! I LOVE threads like this.

Site Supporter
    I really need one. I'm at that stage in life where this holster makes sense.

It makes me flat out smile when I handle it!

I think it is the whole package though.

The gun, the grips. the leather combined has a synergy that when together is too powerful to resist for a guy like me.

Other guys can have their "look at me" crap they show off to the neighbors. Even if nobody ever saw this rig, just wearing it under my grandpa's old Filson while out in the mountains would make me a very happy man!

That said, I hang with the kind of guys who actually DO appreciate this kind of stuff!

I swapped the grips around to show off the Herretts Troopers on the 4" gun and the fancy new Milt Sparks carved 200AW!

I can't stop grinning, it is the nicest holster I have ever played with.

I need to find a social event where this would be proper attire!

Speaking of those Ropers, how do you like them? I spoke with the shop and the nice lady said based on our conversation, she could get them small enough for me, *(small hands , size 8 glove)and to send in a tracing. She seemed pretty confident that I would have a better fit than the Magna's and t-Grip I am using now.

And, she seemed really nice. Seemed like really good people.

Going on a 4" Mod 57

User Tag List