Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions: One holster for CC, Training, and IDPA/USPSA?

Opinions: One holster for CC, Training, and IDPA/USPSA?

Ideally, because it seems to make the most sense from a training perspective, I'd like to use the same Kydex/Holstex holster setup for training classes, concealed carry, IDPA, and USPSA (newbie to comp)... I currently have BladeTech OWB, and CompTac International holsters- the BT with their TekLok, and the CT with their Belt mount... A BT double mag holder, and I also own two CR Speed nylon velcro belts, and a Wilderness Instructor belt... (Sig P320c)

Questions:
    1) Is that even the smartest way to go- using the same exact gun/holster/belt combo for Training classes, Concealed Carry, and Practical Competition?
    2) If yes to question 1, would it be feasible to do all of it with an IWB holster, or only an OWB? (I've never even looked at IWB holster options, but I'd want Kydex/Holstex)
    3) If "OWB only" is your recommendation, would you use a pancake style Kydex holster with the two belt slots, or a Taco style? Belt mount or TekLok? (I really like the convenience of CR Speed velcro belt and TekLok for just throwing it on for dry firing, CC, training, etc.)

I'm no longer in the dry WY/Mont region- I'm in hot and humid Florida, where I'm almost always sweating in a golf shirt or Tee...

My goal is to essentially optimize my defensive pistol skills, and not to get hooked on practical shooting to the point of equipping for the game factor.

Thanks.

In theory of course this is best applied generally as you cannot literally train like you fight with regards to a pistol, but the gear can in fact be the same as when you walk around in your every day life.

IF, however, you are trying to get really good at the game, then you need a gamer setup and that is directly opposite of training like you fight, as you won't be walking around with a gamer rig all the time.

As you said you are looking to optimize your pistol skill and not get hooked on gaming.

Get a comfortable holster you always carry in. Train in this holster, game in this holster, always have this holster on you, with the same gun. Carry a spare mag the same way all the time and train with it, game with it, etc. You will see issues and you'll need to correct them via training first, then equipment second if you hit a plateau. If you find yourself looking to "Gamerize" your carry setup, quit for a few months and train exclusively non-gaming EDC-type drills.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

You can. I did for years. I still use AIWB for outlaw IDPA matches.

You're only drawing a few times in a match. It doesn't really matter. I'd get a BOSS'd bladetech and a double alpha belt and some pouches for USPSA production.

Shooting is shooting. The draw on a gamer rig isn't difficult. You don't really even need to practice it. It's right by your hand and only has gravity as retension.

I got a lot of versatility out of my RCS Phantoms for training, competition, and carry for many years.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It's definitely possible to run IWB with two mag pouches in IDPA. That's how I usually roll with the local club matches.

USPSA production is also be possible but I don't like having to thread so many mag pouches on my belt. I would shoot limited division and load extended mags all the way and run the same setup as IDPA (two mag pouches).

It would probably be faster and more comfortable to use a pancake kydex OWB, but in Florida you might not be able to get away with that with just a polo

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I carry IWB, but Steel Challenge doesn't allow IWB which may also be the case for USPSA. OWB carry would be nice, but just too hard to reliably conceal. I'm in California so I'm justifiably paranoid.

If I could run steel challenge IWB I'd shoot both my 9mm 1911 (SS) and HK P2000 (PROD).

I shot USPSA all over TX with a Milt Sparks VMII and never had anyone say anything, some places are more particular than others.

I don't feel like I have enough range time to stay as proficient as I'd like with a bunch of different handgun setups, so I usually shoot matches with my carry stuff that I have for my full size pistol.

I did have a couple of seasons when I was pretty serious about competing, so I had a Comp-Tac holster and it was an easier holster to deal with. I used to use it for long training classes too because it was a lot easier to manage than an IWB which always has a t-shirt and a cover shirt getting all in the way and clogging everything up.

You just have to decide what you want o to prioritize. Performance on Sunday, or proficiency with your carry stuff. They're not exclusive, it's just a matter of how much time you have to dedicate to it.

I can't speak for Steel Challenge, but IWB is definitely legal in USPSA. However, rule 5.2.7.3 may be relevant, depending on the specific holster design - it prohibits holsters which cause the muzzle of the gun to be pointed at a point on the ground more than 3 feet from the competitor's feet. Basically, you can't have a holster with an extreme cant to it.

I have four different holster setups due to my daily work requirements and activities:

-OWB strong side for wearing with a suit at work
    -AIWB for casual wear at work and off work hours
    -Safariland drop offset mount with an ALS holster
    -USPSA production or limited gamer rig with drop offset kydex holster and DAA racer mag pouches

I have never reached for my gun somewhere other than where I'm carrying it in that moment and have no issues drawing quickly from any of these setups. Everyone may have a different goal, but my personal goal with shooting competition is to have fun and win, and I don't want to handicap myself because I am trying to practice with my carry gear. If your goal is to reach a certain classification using your carry gear like @Mr_White, that's one thing, but you will never be able to do that and be competitive against an equally skilled shooter who has more optimized equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    IF, however, you are trying to get really good at the game, then you need a gamer setup and that is directly opposite of training like you fight, as you won't be walking around with a gamer rig all the time.
    Or get to work channeling your inner Gabe White and make it happen!

I have not yet shot USPSA myself, but am told I should as it is far more competitive than my current sport (which is still pretty much regional-- www.GADPA.com ). That said, I shoot what I carry in the rig I carry it in, and do decently, depending on who all shows up. When the likes of Sal Luna show up, everyone can just sit back and take what's left when he's done, lol.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

User Tag List