Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43: Your Thoughts After Owning & Carrying for Awhile ?

I've had mine for about 1.5 years, about 500 flawless rounds through it. I carry it when I don't feel like carrying a gun/have trouble concealing my g19, which is probably about 5% of the time. It is very accurate, but harder for me to shoot to the same level of accuracy that I normally produce with a 19/26 (large glove size hands). It still has factory sights on it, mostly because I tell myself that I don't use it enough to justify upgrading.

All around, its a great little gun, but I just shoot/handle the double stacks so much better. It does have its place in my safe and I don't see it going anywhere any time soon.

I've had my G43 since they were released - pretty early adopter. My thoughts are it's a decent, flat small pistol for IWB/AIWB carry, but pretty large and heavy if you want a pocket carry option. I think it would excel as a BUG strapped to soft armor under a uniform shirt - more shootable than a J-Frame, more capacity, better sights, faster reloads - what's not to love?

The pistol is accurate, but as many have pointed out, the grip is SMALL and "slick" - so I really struggle with being able to run the pistol at any kind of speed.

The grip is longish for ankle carry - longer than a G26 by a noticeable margin, but should be workable with a decent holster.

As many others have stated, it's a good option for around the house or out and about with the lightest covering garments.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for years before acquiring the G43. The PM9 is smaller and lighter, it is, in fact, carry-able in normal pants pockets while maintaining similar capacity. The PM9 has a lot fewer sight options, more expensive base price and magazine cost, though, and the trigger takes some getting used to.

Were I in the market right now for a subcompact 9mm single stack, it would come back to if I wanted to be able to carry in pants pockets. If yes, then I think the PM9 is a better choice. If not, the G43 makes more sense.
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 08-28-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I've had my G43 since they were released - pretty early adopter. My thoughts are it's a decent, flat small pistol for IWB/AIWB carry, but pretty large and heavy if you want a pocket carry option. I think it would excel as a BUG strapped to soft armor under a uniform shirt - more shootable than a J-Frame, more capacity, better sights, faster reloads - what's not to love?

The pistol is accurate, but as many have pointed out, the grip is SMALL and "slick" - so I really struggle with being able to run the pistol at any kind of speed.

The grip is longish for ankle carry - longer than a G26 by a noticeable margin, but should be workable with a decent holster.

As many others have stated, it's a good option for around the house or out and about with the lightest covering garments.

I carried a Kahr PM9 for years before acquiring the G43. The PM9 is smaller and lighter, it is, in fact, carry-able in normal pants pockets while maintaining similar capacity. The PM9 has a lot fewer sight options, more expensive base price and magazine cost, though, and the trigger takes some getting used to.

Were I in the market right now for a subcompact 9mm single stack, it would come back to if I wanted to be able to carry in pants pockets. If yes, then I think the PM9 is a better choice. If not, the G43 makes more sense.
    PM9s seem to be hit or miss with reliability, especially with the 7 round mags.

Mine seems to work fine including the 7 round mags, so I have no intention of replacing it....but for a new buyer, I'd think the G43 to be a safer purchase.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    I have ran the following......

Speer Gold dot 124 +P
    Federal HST 124, 147, and 147 +P
    Remington Golden Sabers
    Hornady Critical Defense
    Some old Black Talons
    Federal Hydra shoks

as well as FMJ loads....

WWB
    Remington
    American Eagle
    Perfecta
    Federal aluminum
    etc.

I'm probably at the 1000 round mark with no stoppages (other than the aforementioned fat thumbs pushing the slide lock up during a magazine). Ejection is pretty uniform for a Glock with 4 o'clock piles to my right. Mine passes the "magazine less" single shot test with ease.

If I remember right, our range officer here at work said they issued out a little over one hundred of them and he saw no stoppages that weren't shooter related. He's a Sig fan and hates Glocks but even he was pleased with our recent G17/G43 rollout to replace our first gen M&Ps.

Forgot to mention I rock mine in a Galco belly band sometimes. It disappears underneath shorts and a tee shirt and is a comfortable companion on walks.
    To add to lwt16's list I've ran the following: Speer Gold Dot standard pressure and +P 124gr, standard pressure 147gr, Federal HST in 124gr standard pressure, HST 147gr standard pressure and +P, Federal Tactical Bonded 135gr +P, and Corbon DPX 115gr +P all without issue. Factory ball has been Aguila 124gr and Winchester Nato 124gr stuff though I prefer my reloads as they mimic my carry load pretty closely. Literally zero stoppages in both my guns despite the variety of ammo, I clean them after use but it still boggles the mind that they run so well.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Mine seems to work fine including the 7 round mags, so I have no intention of replacing it....but for a new buyer, I'd think the G43 to be a safer purchase.
    Couldn't agree more, I had several PM9's some ran like raped apes, other were absolute garbage. A G43 is a pretty safe bet I think, both of mine are just missing a Gadget and better sights.
    Last edited by Mike C; 08-28-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Mine is still impressing me for what it is. I replaced the sights with Dawson's. Once my holsters get here, the G43 will replace the j frame for most of what the j frame was ever used for, and maybe all of it, time will tell.

When I got mine, I went in thinking Shield or G43. 5 minutes of dry fire in the store sold me on the Glock, and the possibility of future Gadget availability was a major plus as well. I think it is possible that the G43 is the best of the single stack mini 9mms, and if it isn't, it's a solid choice.

FWIW, my father was impressed enough with mine that he bought a G43 as his first Glock

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I've heard all the complaints about the PM9, but I'm on my third or fourth right now, and none have given me any problems. But, you're correct, for the price of the PM9, if it doesn't work, it's a kick in the nuts.

On the flip side, the times I've reached out to Kahr for any kind of help, they've been prompt, courteous, and easy to work with. Most recently, after hearing they've released a new magazine catch and spring, I e-mailed them about it. Within 5 working days, I had both parts mailed to my door step, free of charge. They offered to send a label to ship the pistol in to have the parts installed, but anyone with a small screw driver can pull this job off...

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    I don't know if a comparison to a G26 is fair. The 26 is a good primary gun if your unable to conceal a 19 sized gun, plus it can take full size mags.
    That's how I employ my G-26. It's not a backup gun, it's a second primary.

The G-43 serves another purpose.

Mine was initially bought as a gym gun for use in a clip on holster from Dark Star Gear. It served this purpose well. Eventually the holster stopped concealing well for me (it was just an exact size holster with no claw) and I stopped carrying at the gym. Now I have the 19 length Hitchhiker for it and it's great again.

For me it's a gun now when I'm being lazy or can't print at all ever. It's so small that it's perfect. It's like a casual carry gun. I know timmies and gun guys are all "Gotta carry at least a 19, 2 reloads, a flash light, and an IFAK" but I'm not about that life. Most dangerous places I go it's a felony to carry, but that should be changing soon. Haven't experimented with carrying in those places yet, but I bet I could get away with it. Even then, there's cops with ARs and full rifle plates, so...

I still haven't gotten the TTI +2s. I tried Tom's when I got my Hitchhiker and I could conceal it well in a tight shirt. Made getting a grip faster. Currently I only have the flat base plates. My hand fits on it completely. Master grip is harder to get than the 17/34 or 19L.

Shooting at speed is difficult. I think it's a mental thing though. Both of my 43s (I've had 2 after someone ruined the frame attempting to stipple it) are very accurate. I have a Dawson black adjustable rear and .100 red fiber front.

I think it's a good gun if you're casual about carrying a gun and not worried about being tier 1 sheep dog or some other nonsense. If you're fat or wear really baggy clothes I don't see the point in owning one.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Not to derail too much, but for those of you who have experience with the G43 and the Shield, what do you feel are the big pros/cons of each?

I don't use my late model 43 as a primary often but for a tux or slim fitted suit, it's pretty righteous. Mine has THEE finest, cleanest trigger of any Glock I own now or ever owned. It weights 5 lbs on the nose at a third of the way up from the bottom tip of the trigger. If I find a Gen 5 17 or 34 someday with that trigger, I might get weak in the knees.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List