Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43: Your Thoughts After Owning & Carrying for Awhile ?

Glock 43: Your Thoughts After Owning & Carrying for Awhile ?

Hello everyone- - Guns tend to get a lot of attention when they first come out. Often there's a lot of buzz around a new model (often hard to obtain when first released because of high demand). People post reviews outlining their impressions. But that tends to decline after awhile. Attention shifts to something else.

For those who own and carry the Glock 43 - - What observations and advice would you give to someone considering one now ? What role did you have in mind for it originally? Does it fill that role ? What has been your experience with higher capacity mags ? What about holsters, mag carriers, sights, etc ? You can't have everything- - is the compromise in capacity and shootability of the 43 worth what you gain in concealability & ease of carry ?

If someone offered you every last penny that you spent on the 43 and all the gear & accessories you've purchased if you turned it in,- - would you take them up on it ? Would you buy something different based on your experience? If you own a Glock 26, how does it compare (in terms of your personal use) to the 43 ?

Anything else you'd like to add about the Glock 43 ?

Thank you

Hammertime
    I bought one and pretty much hated it. I had a lot of rounds through a G42 and used the G42 in the "clip on, no belt" gun role.

I found the G43 to be too heavy to carry belt less running, harder to shoot, and harsher than a G42, and not much of a size difference from a G26 for belted carry.

I sold it. I missed it. I bought it back and gave it another chance.

Once I figured out a belted carry system for the 43, it has supplanted the G42. Specifically I use it only for running, belted, or for padding around the house with a clip on Vanguard trigger guard.

I tried to run with a G19, and 26 belted up, and while it could done, they weight was annoying enough to go with the G43 instead.

Reliability has been good but I only have about 500 rounds through it.

Accuracy is well above my ability. Kyle Defoor is hitting 90+ regularly at 25 yards with it. I have done so rarely.

Have two with over 1,000 rounds through each. No complaints and the G43 fits in my pocket where my G26 won't. It replaced my J-frame and I've no regrets. I've had good results with TTI mag extensions and the ETS extended mags. The only thing I'd like to change is the slotted/grooved trigger for a smooth one. That's purely personal preference and I can and do live with the grooved trigger.

I've owned and carried a G43 for about a year as a backup mainly, sometimes (very seldom) as a primary off-duty. I have a set of ameriglo hackathorn sights on it, with a Taran +1 extension, and +2 on my spare magazines.

I absolutely love it for my particular purposes. I find it far more shootable than a Shield. Which I currently own 2, 1 of them for several years.

I don't know if a comparison to a G26 is fair. The 26 is a good primary gun if your unable to conceal a 19 sized gun, plus it can take full size mags.

The better comparison is to other single stack 9's. I prefer it over the other ones currently available.

Would I sell it? No, because I would just end up buying another one.

If your looking for a single stack 9, the G43 would be an excellent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    So, I Had a 43. I purchased it with the intention of giving it a run against my J frame as an on duty BUG, It was also considered as an off duty carry for places that have misguided restrictions on magazine capacities. I have a variety of other 9mm glocks that the 43 was going to augment rather than totally replace. Mine was an early one and did not have the cleanest trigger. It was heavier and had some grit that my other glocks did not have. I installed Trijicon HD sights. I only ever used standard/flat base plate magazines. I purchased the Vickers slide stop but did not install it. The gun was carried IWB in a Blade Tech Klipt holster in the 2:30 position. Mag pouches were the double RCS OWB pouch or a BFG double 10 speed. They all concealed well either IWB/OWB but it was a total no go as a pocket gun. That is how I carry the J frame so right from the get go the 43 failed as BUG.

The gun was very accurate but a little more than I wanted recoil wise. The real problem came when attempting to attain a master grip at speed. I have big mitts and was just not able to get that all important grip "first time, every time" at speed. The J frame just falls into place naturally. No so the little glock. For me, the G26 is waaaaay more shootable in more respects than just ability to get the right grip at speed. Plus, full size reloads, better recoil manners, compatibility with fulll size gun holsters..... etc. There was not enough juice to warrant the squeeze of the 43.

If you have big hands, I would look elsewhere. Same same if you are recoil averse. While the gun is small, it did not find it easier to conceal than a 26.

While the 43 is a well made gun and there are a lot of good points to it, it did not work for me. Assuming that there no changes in my pistol needs, I would not seek another one.

As always, guns are to a great degree, a subjective thing. YMMV.

I bought my G43 as a backup gun, usually worn on my body armor. Alternatively, I've got an ankle holster and a pocket holster for the G43. I currently have 5650 rounds through it.

The gun it has mostly replaced was my S&W 642-1. The G43 is still a bigger package with the pocket holster I use for it compared to the S&W 642-1. Therefore, the J-frame revolver still occasionally gets carried.

Now retired as a cop, I'll only carry the 642-1 or G43 when I go bare minimum, which is not often. I'm usually carrying a larger Glock or 1911, as I like and am most proficient with both platforms compared to other guns I own. I will carry one of my G26 models more than my G43.

I will keep my G43 as one of a dozen Glocks I own. No other Glock I own works as well as a backup gun (yes, even retired I'll still carry two guns depending on my attire).

The G26 and G43, although they might overlap for your purposes, don't replace each other for my purposes.

Advice, ensure you're getting a G43 with the latest #33564 connector. Glock will send this connector to Glock Armorer for free if the G43 serial number used shows it came with the old connector. If you're not a Glock Armorer, then you'll either need to buy one from a 3rd party (glockparts.com) or find a Glock Armorer to order one for you. This is assuming you'll install it yourself.

I generally don't answer these made-up dilemmas as the answer is to buy both, especially when the OP has zero info in his/her profile; but I'm retired now, and had some time.
    Last edited by L-2; 08-28-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Originally, I bought one to use as a BUG at work and carried it in my front left trouser pocket. I previously carried a PPK and then a 442 while the PPK was recalled by Smith and Wesson. The G43 worked well for such a role and I added Talon grips, Ameriglo Hackathorn front trit sight with an Ameriglo claw rear blacked out sight, and a Magguts kit to afford me 8 total rounds with a flush fit magazine.

My agency added Tasers to our belts and after riding the lighting and placing said Taser on the belt where the department insisted it go, I could no longer smoothly draw the G43 out of that same left pocket. I switched it down to my left cargo pocket and it flopped around too much for my liking. I reluctantly shelved it and replaced it with a G42 that I bought from a coworker for 275.00. The lighter weight G42 rides well in that cargo pocket after getting a similar sight set up and grips/Magguts.

My G43 comes out to daylight on the weekends and it rides in an IWB Foxx holster. When belt carried, I switch over to the magazine with the Pearce plus 1 base plate to afford my pinky a place to hang on to. Great set up for around the house, mowing, running errands, etc.

I wouldn't trade it for what I have in it. I get blue label pricing so I'm already sitting at a pretty good dollar figure for the entire set up. The piece is uber reliable and very accurate.......I do have to really concentrate my trigger finger to keep from pushing shots left......something I don't have to do nearly as much with double stack Glocks.

My agency actually issues G43s to those of us that want them and even though I already had one, I chose to get one issued to me. I may opt for it instead of the G17 at retirement.....assuming that we haven't moved to some other platform. We get to keep our sidearm at the 25 year mark if we choose to.

Regards.

On edit: The one thing I don't like (and it's not the gun's fault) is the slide lock I induce with a thumbs forward grip........If I point my thumbs down, I never have the issue so I know it's me and not the gun.
    Last edited by lwt16; 08-28-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Forgot something and glaring punctuation errors

While I have not had an exorbitant amount of time with the 43, I will say that I conceals exceedingly well with tighter clothing/formal clothing like a suit/etc.

The shoots fine with the Ameriglo UC sights (green front) and groups well enough at 25 yards.

The only role I see it filling for me, personally, is to allow me I carry a small framed pistol in a place I would otherwise not be able to. Especially places like NYC or somewhere I'd need to go in formal clothing and carry a firearm. For that it works great.

Everywhere else a glock 19 works perfectly.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Mine came with TALO sights. I stippled it, added the clip-carry thing, and shot it a bunch. No other mods. I rarely carry it, but when I need it, nothing else will do. It's remarkably accurate, especially with 147-grain American Eagle FMJ, and it's not that hard to shoot well quickly. On reloads, the magazine sometimes hangs up on my hand, so I plan to rip the magazine free on EVERY reload.

The first thing that Larry Vickers says in his video review of it is that the G43 a good piece, but that you should carry a G19 or bigger if at all possible. Based on my experience, I concur 100%.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

It's the bomb for suit carry.

I don't currently own a magazine carrier so I opt for my G19 or 17 for suit carry. But I will admit that I got lazy and carried the 43 while wearing a suit and it was nice.

My draw from concealment suffers enough on the timer with fuller sized guns but I am noticeably slower with the 43. I have fairly large hands and find I can draw the 19 and 17 out much faster. Feels more secure too.

The 43 is still a great carry gun.....I'm fond of it in it's limited role in my lineup.

User Tag List