Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ Shadow 2- USPSA Production Gun

I lot of love going around for the Shadow 2. Seems like a great gun. I picked one up a couple months back, and I just can't warm up to it. Trying to decide if I'm going to try it in a match, or just get a Tanfo, which feels much better in my hands.

I will say, I've yet to clean it, and after multiple range trips it's worked 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I lot of love going around for the Shadow 2. Seems like a great gun. I picked one up a couple months back, and I just can't warm up to it. Trying to decide if I'm going to try it in a match, or just get a Tanfo, which feels much better in my hands.

I will say, I've yet to clean it, and after multiple range trips it's worked 100%.
    I owned a CZ 75 for a bit and played with a Shadow, I much prefer my Tanfoglio .38 Super. It just fits better.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

The *only* thing I don't like about my Shadow 2 is the dogleg hump on the back of the grip. I wish CZ would have rounded that angle a little bit more. I don't notice it too much when firing but I do really notice it when dry firing and when drawing.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

I recently purchased 2 Stock II Extreme's and it was the best decision I've made. Both run like a top, SUPER accurate, and huge magwell for production. My CZs were great, but were somewhat ammo sensitive (they preferred a longer OAL - could have just been the guns). The Tanfos feed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Running only half joke with my friends -- when shooting a Shadow in Production, since I didn't wrench on them, I had five. One for dry fire, one for practice, one for matches, and two to go back and forth to Matt Mink. That assured I always had two that worked.
    LOL!!! That is THE BEST way to run custom CZs. It's like having a high end foreign car, you will spend the price of the gun throughout the years on maintenance.
    Last edited by Kirk; 08-29-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    The *only* thing I don't like about my Shadow 2 is the dogleg hump on the back of the grip. I wish CZ would have rounded that angle a little bit more. I don't notice it too much when firing but I do really notice it when dry firing and when drawing.
    Man, I love that hump. I feel like it helps me wedge the web of my hand up into the beavertail. But, I love the Glock grip angle too...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    I have been using CZs as my Production and carry guns for over 2 years. This summer I have switched to Shadow 2s. As of today, my practice gun - 13K, my match gun - 2500K. Plus daily dry fire. I have not seen any issues at all. Considering that I clean my practice gun at around 3-4k rounds, I am pretty happy. I shot over 60K through my old practice shadow and used to replace the TRS every 3-5K as a preventive measure. (When I cleaned it). They cost $2. This time I am running my practice gun to see if anything breaks. So far - nothing.
    I used to shoot Glocks, messed with Tanfos, and other guns. IMO, CZs have absolutely best DA/SA triggers available even without doing anything to them. Durability and reliability are on par or better than any modern pistols these days.
    Shooters like Cheby can and will wear out/break any pistol. Any pistol that gets a good review from a high volume shooter is probably a good bet. CZs are gaining popularity in competition circles. I have a '91 CZ 75 I bought used that I've put at least 15000 round through. It was converted to SAO by Angus Hobdell in 2005 I think. I have a spare slide stop but never needed it, I've worn out a sear and many springs plus a few mag bodies. It rattles now and seems a little less accurate than it used to be but just keeps working.

1. Weight - It is a desirable feature. The gun shoots flat and the followup shots are easier. This is one of the reasons why some people went with Stock 2 in the past when Shadow 2 was not available - Stock 2 is heavier than Shadow. The target transitions are a little more difficult with a heavier gun but it can be addressed with focused practice.
    2. Hump - awesome. It helps to get the grip consistently. CZ uses the same grip on their Limited and Open guns (Tactical Sport Orange and Czechmate)
    3. Reliability. I would personally trust CZ over any striker fired pistols including Glocks. There are two parts in CZ that need to be replaced regularly - a TRS and Slide stop due to the way the gun works. It takes 5 min to replace the TRS and it costs nothing. Looks like the quality of the parts in Shadow 2 is way better . One thing that I would ditch as soon as possible is CZ's original magazines though. They do not last. The good thing, Mecgar mags are around $22 and they are bulletproof. Shadow 2s come with the Mecgar mags now.
    4. Ammo sensitivity. All factory ammo I tried in my CZs worked just fine. Some reloads need to be shorter depending on the bullet profile because the rifling starts right at the end of the CZ chamber unlike Glocks, for example. As I know Clusterfrack is loading his RN bullets to the same OAL as before though.
    5. Trigger. A few people around me bought Stock 2s in the past. By now ALL of them either sold them or are in process of selling. I am yet to see a Stock 2 with as good trigger as CZs even with all the aftermarket parts available now. I am not saying the worked Stock 2 triggers are bad. They are just different. It also takes more to get them running reliably. Ask YVK about that. The best thing about Shadow 2 - you do not need to do anything to it. Just replace the main spring along with FP (Just in case) and you are good to go.
    6. Sights and safety- totally awesome. The gun comes with adjustable rear sights. Also it includes two sets of safety - the thin and large ones so you can switch between DA/SA and SA Only if you want to shoot a steel or 3gun match with the same gun.
    Last edited by cheby; 08-29-2017 at 01:52 PM.

I'm getting a sub-8# DA with a 13# hammer spring. It is actually the lightest DA pull of any gun I have in my safe, and that's with zero polishing or anything. I considered going to a 11.5# hammer spring and an extended firing pin but for now I'm just gonna run the 13#. Sights track super flat and the recoil with ~130-132Pf loads is a joke. I've got ~1K rounds through mine. Don't shoot it a ton but it's going to be my primary competition gun when I resume shooting competitions this fall.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 08-29-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I'm getting a sub-8# DA with a 13# hammer spring. It is actually the lightest DA pull of any gun I have in my safe, and that's with zero polishing or anything. I considered going to a 11.5# hammer spring and an extended firing pin but for now I'm just gonna run the 13#. Sights track super flat and the recoil with ~130-132Pf loads is a joke. I've got ~1K rounds through mine. Don't shoot it a ton but it's going to be my primary competition gun when I resume shooting competitions this fall.
    With 13# spring you do not need an extended FP at all. With 11# you may need it. I actually did not try it without the extended FP. Maybe it works just fine. Both my Shadow 2s work with any primers I tried. Some people who are running two guns would use 13# for practice and 11# (Or even 8.5#) for matches. With 8.5# you need to stick to Federal primers. I used to do that with my old Shadows. Now I just run 11#main springs in both guns and they work fine.

User Tag List