Thread: update on 147gr HST skiving

update on 147gr HST skiving

I'm not sure if this merits its own thread or if it should be tacked onto the end of the existing thread, but I figured I'd start fresh. Mods - move it if you wish.

I was at the NRA Carry Guard expo in Milwaukee, WI this past weekend. All in all, very well done. I was there for several days, so if anyone wants details (good, bad, and ugly), let me know. However, on to the purpose of this thread...

I stopped at the Federal Ammunition display and spoke with several reps. I asked about the reported change in the skiving and the performance of the newest batches of P9HST2. I was told the engineers were trying to improve performance through auto glass, as this was the hardest barrier they faced. They reported more jacket separation in auto glass encounters (tests or OIS - I don't know which), and the solution they came up with was a 2nd canilure below the original canilure. This second canilure required a change in the skiving. Expansion and penetration should remain essentially unchanged.

I have no idea if this is what was actually done (I have not pulled a bullet out of my newer HSTs to check). I don't know if it even make ballistic sense, but it is what was told to me by the reps at Federal.

Interesting. The two tests that mean anything at least to LE now days in the heavy clothing/denim test and the auto glass test. HST always did well in the denim, but not so hot in the auto glass test. BTW, awesome avatar.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

I don't see how expansion and penetration wouldn't change with shorter skives. And pics of water shot bullets comparing the old and new design definitely suggest a difference in expansion. Yes, I know water isn't analogous to gel, but as an apples to apples comparison of expansion, it should show if there is a difference.

I also don't see how a second lower cannelure would necessitate shorter skives when the bullets are seated to the same depth with the same upper cannelure position.

Like I said - I don't know if the newer 147gr rounds actually have the 2nd canilure, nor do I know if the information I was given even makes sense. They were sales reps, not engineers.

I'm not a ballistics expert, and they don't pay me to beta test. I'm just repeating what I was told.

User Tag List