Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belly Band type holsters or holsters with integrated belts?

Belly Band type holsters or holsters with integrated belts?

Is there a ranking in terms of teirs of different belly band type holsters. Why you might prefer one over the other similar to the blog on AIWB holsters?

Ive been looking at different types and they all seem like a mixed bag of major compromises without serious considerations for the shooters.

Does anybody have good experience in hot weather or active gym use with SmartCarry, Thunderwear, 3speed, tactipac fusion or Pistolwear?

All of these options with perhaps exception to 3speed do not allow for a proper firing grip on the draw and while some work with heat and sweat well at the gym, they compromise by not having normal draw such as pistolwear where you have to fumble and get a pistol from inside of a bag.

Does anyone know of any rigs that allow for a normal draw, are comfortable, and can handle heat and sweat? Something like perhaps as simple as a kydex holster attached to a belt with a breathable backing?

I also thought of a simple solution which would be to simply wear my IWB kydex holster with a belt underneath my gym shorts. However, most belts weren't actually designed for this as they are meant to be used with belt loops.
    Last edited by Elbowtko; 08-26-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    SmartCarry, with a small and light gun, can be done for real running and gym use. Horseback riding is right out. I tried it once, don't go there unless the horse is ONLY going to be walking. I've never tried it on a bike, but assume that there would be some issues to overcome with that as well.

No, you don't get a normal firing grip. You get to wear athletic shorts and have a gun on that is not slapping your leg black and blue, isn't printing, etc. For hiking, backpacking, etc, you can wear a belt and a real holster, unless the social consequences of getting made are unacceptable. Then, you're back to bellybands, fanny packs, SmartCarry, pockets, and so forth.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    At my age, its marketed as a "tummy trimmer" with the ability to carry a weapon.

A Volund Gearworks Atlas Slim worked well under shorts with a holster attached. Not ideal but it's secure.

Smart Carry with an insert gets you a little closer to normal.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Smart Carry with an insert gets you a little closer to normal.
    What insert?

Dark Star Gear G19 shell Insert :

Note: the orientiatation of the holster is per YammyMonkey's recommendations over at TPI (I.e. left handed holster flipped over): Super Sneaky Smart Carry PSP.
    Last edited by Yute; 08-27-2017 at 06:03 PM.

I got one of these a couple weeks ago. It's very versatile and really comfortable, although a little expensive.
    http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/clutch-belt/
    Name:  IMG_0914.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  34.7 KB

I have no experience with them at all, but Runcible Works may be worth checking out for your needs. From what I see its basically a belt with and integrated holster, but I'm sure there's more to it than that. Just an FYI

I have carried in a smart carry for a long time. I find it my go to holster when I need to tuck my shirt which is most of the time these days. I find with practice the draw can be pretty smooth. I was hesitant at first but after trying everyday I could find to pull the trigger I feel very safe with it. Most commonly I carry my glock 26. I have carried up to a 17 but didn't find it comfortable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Dark Star Gear G19 shell Insert
    Thanks.

User Tag List