Page 76 of 346 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    How does the cutout feel to you on the bottom of the grip? It felt awkward to me in handling. Curious to see if it is a non issue while firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It has been non noticeable to me so far while firing!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As I recall it is from the ready. Doing it from the holster makes it an "advanced" test / super test.
    Copy. Thanks HCM

I handled a 19 and a 17 in a shop yesterday. I liked both quite a lot, and once the rush to buy them settles down and pricing comes down, I can see myself with one of each. The lack of finger grooves is very good, and I felt like they both had slightly better triggers than I'm used to seeing on brand new Glocks.

Took out the 19 Gen5 and compared it to my LAV 19 Gen3.

Yeah, the 5 feels better in the hand and, yes, the trigger pulls are markedly different.

What I noticed is that the mag cutout DOES impact my little finger so I did some careful re-profiling to rid the relatively sharp edge I thought I had removed.

Also, the recoil impulse is more subdued with the 5.

I know the latter to be true as I have acute tendinitis from continually hitting my elbow on just about every darned thing. Hard. So gripping a pistol requires a conscious effort.

I did not have a 4 on hand to compare it to. Next time.

Also, the pistol shoots to the left about an inch at 10 yds - which pisses me the Hell off. I'll place it on a Ransom Rest next visit to confirm is it me with my dominant firearm or the mechanical lockup, crown, locking block, whatever with the pistol. I'll also further radius the corners of the mag cutout as well. I think it's just about right; they should have. Wen on either side and less pronounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

My question for those that handled one, particularly the 19, is the front U mag cutout noticeable while gripping the gun? Is it uncomfortable, or do you even notice it?
    Nothing that a bit of careful filing/sanding will not cure. The first couple of times I did not notice. Today I did so I did some more remedial action with 400 and 800 grit wet/dry paper. It is the CORNER that nips me. It's now more radiused and less pointy/edgy so it appears to be fine. They should modify that mold but that ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post

Also, the recoil impulse is more subdued with the 5.

Mjolnir and anybody,

Is it my imagination or is the G17 Gen 5's RSA "lighter" than Gen 4's? (as in weight, retracting the slide) I know it feels much lighter than the original Gen 4 RSA's but even current production? Seemed like it sure was. Which is very interesting vis a vis published info about the M model G17's having a new RSA for improved recoil characteristics.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

So i happen to pick up a 19.5 a couple of days ago. And if anyone is worried about the cut out, go handle one and make sure you are ok with it. I could tell right away it wasn't for me. The corners are sharp and i couldn't get a comfortable grip. I do have big hands though. My hand almost reaches the bottom of a glock 17 grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    So i happen to pick up a 19.5 a couple of days ago. And if anyone is worried about the cut out, go handle one and make sure you are ok with it. I could tell right away it wasn't for me. The corners are sharp and i couldn't get a comfortable grip. I do have big hands though. My hand almost reaches the bottom of a glock 17 grip.
    I have a Gen3 G17 with a cutout that I filed the finger grooves off of and sanded an undercut with 5/8" round bar. My grip covers half the cut out.

The G19.5's cut out doesn't bother me dry firing. Haven't live fired yet. So if you have large hands I wouldn't immediately discount the Gen5 just because you have large hands.

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Ran 150 more rounds through the 17.5 today which brings the total to 1450. I continue to shoot it well and I'm scoring decent (for me) times on "The Test"
    Here is a 95 / 9.47

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    Ran 150 more rounds through the 17.5 today which brings the total to 1450. I continue to shoot it well and I'm scoring decent (for me) times on "The Test"
    Here is a 95 / 9.47

Well done.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List