Page 5 of 346 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Somebody get one of these to Enel so it can undergo "Hammertime".
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Any word on 10 round versions for us guys in NY?

I, like Tom also overpaid for the 19. Stood in line this morning at the Glock invite and shot both the 17 and the 19. Starting driving home but ended up turning around after I was able to make some sort of "justification" in my own mind of getting one now and not waiting. Anyway, once I purchased, I went to the range and put 150 rounds of speer lawman 124 grain and compared to my gen 4 19.

As far as felt recoil, I really couldn't tell any difference. At best it my be slightly better on the gen 5 but the recoil spring looks identical so probably in my head. But no discernable difference that I could tell. Trigger is pretty darn good out of the box. I have the apex trigger in both my 19 and 26 (flat trigger and gen 3 trigger bar only) and it felt almost identical to that. Right out of the box with my lyman it was 5.2lbs (10 pulls). When I got home I did they old .25c trigger job and it is a consistant 4.12, the hightest of 10 pulls was 5.3. They removed the bump on the trigger bar and the plunger is changed. Only thing I would even consider changing is maybe a flat trigger shoe, otherwise totally good to go for me.

This gun was incredible accurate for me. I always felt my 320 & PPQ were my most accurate sf pistols but the gen5 glock is as good if not better from an accuaracty standpoint for me. I was shooting at 15 yards with my 19 rmr and my gen 5 glock was about as accurate, changed at 25 yards but anything 15 yards in the gen 5 stayed with my rmr. For me that was very impressive. Really interested to hear from the really good shooters out there but it very accurate right out of the box.

From the ergos standpoint, I have had the dreaded glock knuckle and have all my glocks undercut. I'm not sure I need it for this, the lack of finger grooves seems to be not only a plus from a general feel, but the glock knuckle issue is greatly improved depending on the size of your mits. For those that were worried about the opening of the bottom of the magwell, it was not even noticable to me. My hands are med/large (I typically wear large gloves) so my pinky finger sat right on the opening, no pinch or anything, again not even notcable. The slightly flarred magwell is pretty good.

I did have one recurring issue that I am not happy about and that was I keep hitting the slide stop and the slide would lock open. I tend to have a pretty high purchase when shooting so all my glocks have the oem stock slide stop that is totally flush to the frame. I have never been able to use a 3rd party slide lock as others so if you do, it probably won't be a problem. The slide stop sticks out and is not flush and that's all it takes for me to have that problem. But because it's ambi, I can't change to a gen 4 slide stop lever, at least I don't think I can. I might be stuck changing my grip slightly which I don't really want to do when specifically shooting the gen5. This is is more of "my issue" problem so YMMV. Irratating issue so if anyone has suggestion, please let me know.

Overally I have a feeling these are going to be a winner and sell like hotcakes. Unfortunetly they didn't have any with the ameriglo sights so mine had the standard plastic sights, outside of that, the gen 5 is really pretty good to go right out of the box. Kind of suprised they didn't have the front serrations, on these. They are going to put a damper on some of the aftermarket folks. Fits perfect in my JMC wing 2.0.

Hopefully the gadge won't be far off. Just added more work for Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_O View Post
    I'm in the same boat. He has my name on one but cannot release it until the 30th.
    Even though the gun store down the road will sell them today, but for $600ish...lol
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Even though the gun store down the road will sell them today, but for $600ish...lol
    But- it's so close....and you'll need two.....lol
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    But- it's so close....and you'll need two.....lol
    I might buy a 17 just because.

Not that I need one, but its always good to have one...you know...for development purposes...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It looked like that could be a probably for some. Here's a comparison between the Gen4 and Gen5 slide stops:

Gen4:
    Attachment 19362

Gen5:
    Attachment 19363

I posted a few posts back that a Gen 4 slide stop appears to work. I'd suggest using a gen4 trigger pin also if I someone were to do that.
    Thats quite a noticeable difference.

I wish they would have modified the frame to cover some of the slide stop like the G43.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Exactly! There is literally a shop just a block or two down from him that did the midnight grand reveal and started selling them. I keep telling myself good things come to those who wait and I definitely will wait for my blue label price.

Site Supporter
    I'm very interested in the Glock 17.

Extended slide release, (it appears) mag release, more accurate barrel, better finish, brass to the face potentially gone, removal of pre-travel and reasonable weight trigger, undercut trigger guard and the sights I love on my Glock 26 as a factory option?

I'm interested to see the grip texture, but a mag well as well reminds me of my TRP.

Well done Glock. Short of a SCD; I don't need an aftermarket.

I'm excited to handle and shoot one. I may be fanboying out.

God Bless,

Brandon

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I posted a few posts back that a Gen 4 slide stop appears to work. I'd suggest using a gen4 trigger pin also if I someone were to do that.
    You mean the trigger housing pin that goes into the backstrap correct?
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 08-26-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: fixed quote

User Tag List