Page 49 of 346 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Cool beans. Was your friend LE? Either way, $398, or $425, sounds like a good price.
    GSSF Members and GSSF match winners get to buy Glocks at Blue Label (LE/MIL) pricing.

Participants in GSSF matches can win certificates both by winning their class / event and via random drawings from amongst all participants.

Well...

Before I handled one I went from curious to excited to skeptical to a naysayer.

I talked to a Glock rep and handled one today and got curious enough to buy it.

288 rounds later and I really like it.

In the store the trigger felt heavy, mushy, and vague. After a drop of oil, a few dry fires, and now 288 rounds of live fire, it's sweet. I found myself getting on the trigger on the press-out like a double action and never getting out of time with it. With the Gen3 I've been shooting I've been having a helluva time with the wall before the break. This one? Feels very natural for me, I'm a long time Sig TDA shooter. This really doesn't feel or handle anything like a TDA, but the trigger is much more manageable and predictable for me. With the 19.5 I was easily shooting as well and better than my 34.3.

I'm officially a fan.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 09-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If I recall correctly, SLG intimated that was the likely cause a while back and a bunch of people freaked out -- since they had ejection problems and didn't like the idea that they might have less than adequate recoil control/technique.
    I guess i'm going to have to call around and get back my 150 dollars i had to spend to get my G3 17 to not hit me in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidbattlecry View Post
    I guess i'm going to have to call around and get back my 150 dollars i had to spend to get my G3 17 to not hit me in the face.
    I hope you are just coming off as being snarky vs actually trying to be funny about that.

Thing is that a lot of btf can be contributed to shooter error. It can also be caused by faulty equipment. I do not believe anyone who spoke on this was saying every btf from a Glock is shooter induced. Simply that sometimes your junk can run just fine as long as properly gripped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gen5 I just picked up ejects as well or better than any Glock I've ever seen. I let a very inexperienced shooter put 20 rounds through it with a horrid grip and they all ejected just fine.

The two Gen3 34s I have all needed some tuning to get going. I've been around Glocks for a long time and they've always been mediocre to bad, but they have had some difficult years as of the last 7 or 8.

The only negative I can see is the notch for the right side slide stop is right through the way in the slide under the ejection port. That looks to pretty significantly weaken that area. I cracked a Gen 2 17 through the ejection port, ridiculous high round count.

I'm still curious about higher round counts. IIRC, didn't many more guns start the BTF after several hundred to one or two thousand rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'm still curious about higher round counts. IIRC, didn't many more guns start the BTF after several hundred to one or two thousand rounds?

My Gen5 19 started with its first (and only) box of 124 grain AE. The G17 that I purchased with it made it through a box without issue. Work has been crushing me, but I'm hoping to get 200 rounds through both this weekend.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I wonder how much recoil control/technique plays in erratic ejection?
    I think a majority of the shooters grip and control of recoil determines what the erratic ejection will be. I also believe in certain cases no amount of proper grip and recoil control will fix some Glocks that give you BTF. I had a 17Gen4 early model that ran well until about 1500 rounds. The gun started throwing brass back at my face and having periodic stove pipes. I sent it to glock and they "fixed it". I got it back and ran about 300 rounds through it and it started acting up again. I sent it back to glock and they actually called me and said they could not fix it and they replaced the 17 with a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I cannot quantify the HRED but... I immediately installed an APEX TACTICAL FAILURE RESISTANT EXTRACTOR and the larger, plastic spring loaded bearing (from the pistols that did not have a loaded chamber indicator) which provides more preload.

Ejects like every P226 I've ever shot or witnessed being shot.

It's what I do to ALL Glocks that come into my possession. It simply works. The additional Extractor tension is one part and the geometry and construction of the extractor is the other, obviously.

Awesome thank you, I was wondering about the Apex as well. I will order the Apex extractor and be comparing the ejection patterns/distances on both of these parts against the factory. The Gen5 17 I picked up the other day does exhibit erratic ejection, it does seem strong but erratic. Out of curiosity I tried firing a round without the mag inserted into the gun and every time the gun stove pipes the spent casing. I would like to see if things can be cleaned up via APEX and/or H.R.E.D. parts. I think that Wayne Dobbs made an excellent assessment/observation about how shitty the extractor works on Glocks and that they are relying upon magazine/next round to aid in the extraction and ejection process, (poor job paraphrasing sorry). I do find it disturbing that knowing they've had issues in the past and Glock made appropriate modifications to the factory one, obviously just my opinion. Glock has a well deserved reputation for extraction/ejection issues despite that the guns do run. This aside not going to lie though, I still dig the gun a lot and I am not a Glock fanboy. It will be interesting to see how this gun shakes out and if I screws with my ability to run a LEM gun in the process.

User Tag List