Page 309 of 346 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Not to doubt your friend's abilities, but shooting an irons sighted pistol from prone would be the last thing I'd do for the accuracy checks. Between unnatural arms position, unnatural head position, aiming out of the top of their orbits, or having to twist their head sideways, I see people do their worst shooting from prone. If I shot something from prone from 30 yards, I wouldn't hold the results against the gun.
    He went prone out of exasperation from the lack of accuracy demonstrated prior.

And, just as I did when I ran into that problem with a friend's issued Gen3 22, he shot his usual pistol (A Gen3 19) from the same position and got radically better accuracy.

So I'm holding it against the gun.

He's the kind of friend who can summon a Glock rep, so hopefully he will get some useful input on what's going on.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-09-2020 at 10:12 AM.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    So, how much, if any at all, does the locking block contribute to the mechanical accuracy of the Glock pistol?
    I suspect that just as it was with the first gen M&P's, it won't be a universal phenomenon. Both of my Gen5 17's have significant movement of the barrel hood in lockup, but both are accurate.

I expect it will show up on some specimens/production runs and not others the same way the M&P issue did.

Some guns were like that out of the box. Some started doing it as they got some wear on them. Some never had a problem.
    3/15/2016

Hardly science, but I grabbed the Gen 5 I have with the most play, which happens to be a G45 with an Acro. I grabbed 15 rounds of Gold Dot 124+P and hope to shoot a few groups later today. Very curious as to what I get.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Update, my G45 has allot play and my G17 Gen 5 (new this year) has almost no play. I compared the barrel lugs and didn't see any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The old Glock "Tennifer" finish was pretty darn resistant to all forms of corrosion. It was also, as I understand it, incredibly toxic to produce with severe health ramifications to the workers.

I can understand if the corrosion resistance of the finish diminishes because they can no longer essentially kill people to produce it.

The QPQ-based nitrocarburizing processes that are used most in the US seem to be heavily dependent upon proper preparation of the parts that are subjected to it in batches, and sometimes that seems to not happen on some batches or on all parts in a batch. As best I know most companies are outsourcing that work to subcontractors.
    According to the instructor I had for the Armorer's Course last month, the byproduct for the Tenifer finish was cyanide gas. Not something you really want to be around.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Hardly science, but I grabbed the Gen 5 I have with the most play, which happens to be a G45 with an Acro. I grabbed 15 rounds of Gold Dot 124+P and hope to shoot a few groups later today. Very curious as to what I get.
    More anecdote than data, this is my one and only ten shot group at 25 yards with my “loose” Glock 45 and Gold Dot 124+P. I was shooting pretty fast.

Name:  1F424F26-6B89-4FAD-A218-787F31F83DFC.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  42.4 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

More anecdote than data . . .
    I'd say that was more like a potential "antidote" for a problematic situation.

Still, think what it'd be like if you didn't have a rattly gun

Site Supporter
    Is this going to be like that "ZOMG!!! Gen5 guns get hot and melt!!!" brouhaha?

Hammertime
    More anecdote than data, this is my one and only ten shot group at 25 yards with my “loose” Glock 45 and Gold Dot 124+P. I was shooting pretty fast.

Name:  1F424F26-6B89-4FAD-A218-787F31F83DFC.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  42.4 KB
    I guess your zero is dialed in!

They’re hard to find, like everything else right now, but the Gen5 17 and 19 can be had now in BFG, if you like to be different. @El Cid

I’ll be putting an RMR on mine.

User Tag List