Page 308 of 346 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I worked 17 years in Miami in hot, humid and swampy / marine environments and my Gen2 and 2.5 guns never exhibited any issues. I'll be very disappointed if my Gen5 G26 does not give satisfactory performance after all the hoopla.

(I will say that the other Gen5 features, thus far, have not disappointed.)
    The old Glock "Tennifer" finish was pretty darn resistant to all forms of corrosion. It was also, as I understand it, incredibly toxic to produce with severe health ramifications to the workers.

I can understand if the corrosion resistance of the finish diminishes because they can no longer essentially kill people to produce it.

The QPQ-based nitrocarburizing processes that are used most in the US seem to be heavily dependent upon proper preparation of the parts that are subjected to it in batches, and sometimes that seems to not happen on some batches or on all parts in a batch. As best I know most companies are outsourcing that work to subcontractors.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The old Glock "Tennifer" finish was pretty darn resistant to all forms of corrosion. It was also, as I understand it, incredibly toxic to produce with severe health ramifications to the workers.

I can understand if the corrosion resistance of the finish diminishes because they can no longer essentially kill people to produce it.

The QPQ-based nitrocarburizing processes that are used most in the US seem to be heavily dependent upon proper preparation of the parts that are subjected to it in batches, and sometimes that seems to not happen on some batches or on all parts in a batch. As best I know most companies are outsourcing that work to subcontractors.
    Thanks, for that.

I can certainly forgive not putting the workers lives at risk. And now that you mention it, I believe I'd heard that somewhere in the distant past.

I'm not overly concerned with the cosmetics...but I do hope not much function is sacrificed prematurely.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

This is regarding the posts on Glock accuracy and finish.

On finish, I checked and Glock did switch because of health concerns with to the old finish. Glock did and does their finish work in house, in an area of their facility in Georgia and Austria. Did the PVD finish on the 19X in house as well.

I have had really good luck in the accuracy department with numerous Gen 5 pistols, including multiple specimens of the 26, 19, 19X, 45, 17 and 34. Shot a number of them in USPSA CO, which resulted in relatively high round counts. Have not noted any deterioration in accuracy with use. I pushed on a number of my Gen 4 and 5 pistols, and they all have play. Not detecting a difference between Gen 4 and 5 in movement.

I am very interested in more detail on the locking block issue — is this some number of new problem pistols, something that happens with increasing round counts? I inquired about a revised locking block and could find no information. Also, and I am not a gunsmith, was led to believe that the slide lock has more interaction with the barrel than the locking block as regards accuracy. Apparently some OCD types have switched slide locks playing the tolerance stacking game trying to squeeze more accuracy out of their Glocks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM if buying a new 34 is the Gen 5 worth seeking out over previous generations?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    @GJM if buying a new 34 is the Gen 5 worth seeking out over previous generations?
    Gio thinks so, based on the recoil impulse and better magwell. I saw an accuracy improvement compared to Gen 3/4 34 pistols. My wife finds them more tolerant of a wider power factor range of ammo than previous gens.

I just checked my G45 and allot of movement when pushing down on the barrel hood. I don't have many rounds through it (less than a 1,000). I'll head out to the 25yd line and check the accuracy this week.

The lockup on most Gen5 guns I've encountered in the wild is sub-optimal. If you press down on the barrel hood of a typical model you'll see that it drops relatively easily. Moreso on some specimens than others, and more as the gun gets some wear in it.
    How do we assess and discuss this in a common way? I have an idea what "relatively easy" is, but it may vary.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    How do we assess and discuss this in a common way? I have an idea what "relatively easy" is, but it may vary.
    And the related question, is whether that movement on a Glock relates to accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    And the related question, is whether that movement on a Glock relates to accuracy?
    This is THE question in my opinion.

I own four Gen5 Glock 9mm’s. Upon reading this topic, I pushed down on all four barrel hoods and notice a bit more movement than on my one remaining Gen3 G19.

Yet each of my four Gen5 guns is noticeably more accurate than my Gen3 Guns were. The Gen5 guns were slightly more accurate than a pair of Gen4 G19’s, but without the random brass to face.

So, how much, if any at all, does the locking block contribute to the mechanical accuracy of the Glock pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I'll take "I don't think so for $400, Alex".

Since everyone is now pushing on their Glock's barrel hoods, I wanted to be like everyone. I have this one Gen4 G19 that I run two different slides on, a Gen4 and a Gen5. I don't see people here describing this practice too often but I learned that it works if slide back plate on Gen5 19 slide is replaced with that from Gen4. So I went and pushed on barrel hoods. With Gen4 slide rock solid, with Gen5 slide some movement. Those two are hard to compare in accuracy because Gen5 has RDS but that Gen5 is about "upper A zone at 25 yards" slide. Also, this was on the same Gen4 locking block so I have my sincere doubts that movement or locking blocks. Sample of 2 etc applies.

A friend just sent me a target he shot from prone at 30 yards with his newly acquired Gen5 Glock 17 and he can't reliably hit an 8.5x11" piece of paper with the pistol. (He's an excellent shot, so it's not him).

Not to doubt your friend's abilities, but shooting an irons sighted pistol from prone would be the last thing I'd do for the accuracy checks. Between unnatural arms position, unnatural head position, aiming out of the top of their orbits, or having to twist their head sideways, I see people do their worst shooting from prone. If I shot something from prone from 30 yards, I wouldn't hold the results against the gun.
    Last edited by YVK; 09-09-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List