Page 291 of 346 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Is there any good reason to buy a G17 with the availability of a G45? I'm looking at picking up one or the other this week and am indecisive. The gun will be milled for a dot so sight radius isn't a concern. I currently have a pair of G19 MOSs and a G43X/Holosun that I really like.
    I still love my G17G4. It has functioned perfectly, was built on my birthday, and I think having a G17 in the stable as the "staple" Glock is its own reward.

That said, I love the G45 too. Starting from scratch you probably only need one or the other. I think it boils down to personal preference. Same reason I own a 4" M2.0 and 5" M2.0 and can't really justify the extra 400-500 for a 4.25" fullsize.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The 43x is my favorite polymer gun right now and I’m not ready to be a full time 1911 guy. I need a double stack something in my life. As much as I would like it to not be a Glock they seem to fit better with everything else I like.

For a non LEO starting from scratch does a G45 make sense as a do it all gun over the 17? By do it all I mean concealed carry (AIWB) occasional match gun (IDPA, steel challenge, run and gun sorta kinda USPSA), and take classes gun?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The 43x is my favorite polymer gun right now and I’m not ready to be a full time 1911 guy. I need a double stack something in my life. As much as I would like it to not be a Glock they seem to fit better with everything else I like.

For a non LEO starting from scratch does a G45 make sense as a do it all gun over the 17? By do it all I mean concealed carry (AIWB) occasional match gun (IDPA, steel challenge, run and gun sorta kinda USPSA), and take classes gun?
    I would say yes. I never bothered with a 17 all these years, and really do enjoy my 45. There’s not much you can do with a 19 or a 17 that can’t be done with a 45, IMO.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post

Not a 45. But damn close. I had a 19x and a gen 5 g17. That 19x for me was a better shooting gun. Something about that full grip and short slide is some secret sauce. A g45 has to be just as good plus fs. The g17 felt almost sluggish? I was not alone. I had a few guys who were well trained try them. Each one told me how good a g17 was until they tried the 19x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Not a 45. But damn close. I had a 19x and a gen 5 g17. That 19x for me was a better shooting gun. Something about that full grip and short slide is some secret sauce. A g45 has to be just as good plus fs. The g17 felt almost sluggish? I was not alone. I had a few guys who were well trained try them. Each one told me how good a g17 was until they tried the 19x.
    I’ve never found shorter slided guns to shoot better than they’re longer counterparts, G19 v G17, 229 v 226, commander v government, etc. That said, I’ve never tried a 19X or 45. I’ve seen enough now that is prompting me to do this comparison soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    Is there any good reason to buy a G17 with the availability of a G45?
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’ve never found shorter slided guns to shoot better than they’re longer counterparts, G19 v G17, 229 v 226, commander v government, etc. That said, I’ve never tried a 19X or 45. I’ve seen enough now that is prompting me to do this comparison soon.
    When demonstrating the effect of slide differences between G19X/G45 and G17 to folks, or G43X and G48, I found a cadence or AMRAP drill of some sort to work, followed by a dispersion measurement. 3-5 runs give you a good picture. Start first with the 17 or 48 for a baseline. Then, a few rounds to acclimate to the 19X/45 or 43X, then run for record. Almost without exception, groups will come in smaller with the shorter slide. I don't remember the number off the top of my head, but it is visible. Feedback received from average-ish shooters will include words like "quicker, snappier, smoother, weird, different but I like it".

The last several times I loaned out G45s or G43Xs, I only got them back when the borrower's new pistol(s) arrived.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-01-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I don't think so.

When demonstrating the effect of slide differences between G19X/G45 and G17 to folks, or G43X and G48, I found a cadence or AMRAP drill of some sort to work, followed by a dispersion measurement. 3-5 runs give you a good picture. Start first with the 17 or 48 for a baseline. Then, a few rounds to acclimate to the 19X/45 or 43X, then run for record. Almost without exception, groups will come in smaller with the shorter slide. I don't remember the number off the top of my head, but it is visible. Feedback received from average-ish shooters will include words like "quicker, snappier, smoother, weird, different but I like it".

The last several times I loaned out G45s or G43Xs, I only got them back when the borrower's new pistol(s) arrived.
    This was my experience when comparing the 48 and 43x. I originally bought a 48 because I just assumed it would be better. After a lot of side by side shooting it wasn’t even close. I bought the 43x and haven’t looked back. This is also why I’m really interested in the 45. Sounds like I need to go that direction.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've shot the 19,17,45,19X back to back on a couple of drills for comparison a few times. Most commonly on the Gabe White drills. I always expect the 45 form to do better than the 19 because the bigger grip suits me better. My 45 and 19 scores are generally identical or as near as dammit. My 17 scores are always a noticable step better. Just my observation.

Same when I do 43X and 48 back to back.
    Last edited by BigT; 01-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The G45 is like an updated G19X in Black. The G19X does not even have the breech face cut.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I've shot the 19,17,45,19X back to back on a couple of drills for comparison a few times. Most commonly on the Gabe White drills. I always expect the 45 form to do better than the 19 because the bigger grip suits me better. My 45 and 19 scores are generally identical or as near as dammit. My 17 scores are always a noticable step better. Just my observation.

Same when I do 43X and 48 back to back.

People who have learned to see fast enough to track sights will do better with the fullsize gun.

User Tag List