Page 242 of 346 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I just ordered a gen 5. I pray the cut out doesn’t bother me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The cut out bothers me a lot - with my small/medium hands my pinky rests right inside it on the G19 - with the new G45 and Gen 5 MOS models it looks like Glock has made a "rolling update" and the newer Gen5 pistols should have the cutout deleted - I hope you get a new production model -

I'm glad I waited on the Gen5, first they beveled the frame to match the slide, and now they deleted the cutout, my 2 biggest gripes on the Gen5 pistols

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EJO View Post
    I've been told this as well, however I was told it's a ways out. Very much like when the 42 was released, then later the 43. My understanding is they'll make as much as they can prior to releasing the G45 MOS. I was told at least a year.
    I suspected something to this effect was happening.

Why else would you literally make almost every other Gen 5 Glock in 9mm MOS (one with the same frame and one with the same slide) and forget to make that mode in MOS?

You literally have to run a different production run of slides to accommodate this *unless* you’re building the SHOT 2020 or Fall of 2019 hype for it.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    The cut out bothers me a lot - with my small/medium hands my pinky rests right inside it on the G19 - with the new G45 and Gen 5 MOS models it looks like Glock has made a "rolling update" and the newer Gen5 pistols should have the cutout deleted - I hope you get a new production model -

I'm glad I waited on the Gen5, first they beveled the frame to match the slide, and now they deleted the cutout, my 2 biggest gripes on the Gen5 pistols
    I should have mine weds. May be able to shoot it right after. I do have really small hands. I’m guessing mine will be new construction but idk if they’re actually rolling out regular gen 5 19s with no cut out. Is that confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I should have mine weds. May be able to shoot it right after. I do have really small hands. I’m guessing mine will be new construction but idk if they’re actually rolling out regular gen 5 19s with no cut out. Is that confirmed?
    OK so this is a multi-faceted response.

With the Gen5 MOS models announced, along with the G45, we noticed that the G17 and G19 Gen5 MOS models had NO front strap cutout, it was not in the literature and Glock will not market it as a "feature", since they marketed the Gen5 cutout last year as a "new feature" which many people ended up hating and complaining about (myself included) - Similar to when the frame nose was not beveled to match the frame, which was silently updated about 6 months afterwards.

That being said, my proof that G17 Gen5 frame exist without the cutout is here:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ne...anges.1727178/

Now, similar to the slide beveling, I'm sure there are pistols in "old stock" which haven't sold yet, and they have an inventory of previously produced frames. For example, the Glock 19 outsells the Glock 17 by a very large margin, so that pistol will likely see the "filled moon" frames first - I remember when I was shopping for a Gen5 pistol a few months back (and I'm glad I held off), it was very easy to go to my LGS or call up a local shop and 8-9 times out of 10, the Glock 19's had the slide "nose" beveled to match the frame, while the 17's did not, because they were earlier production and had not sold yet.

You won't know until you pick it up, but if its new production (Serial should be somewhere around BH prefix? That is what a lot of Glock 45's I've seen have), there is a good chance you might get a new frame. Its going to be a few months before it silently trickles out to all Glock 19 and 17 Gen5 guns.

It makes zero financial sense for Glock to produce one frame for the "normal" pistols and one frame for the MOS pistols, when the only thing different is the moon cutout. The moon cutout is no longer hyped on updated marketing either, which means it only makes sense it is phased out.

A great example, IMO, of Glock actually listening to its customers, similar to when they sent out the early Gen5 guns that didn't have the frames beveled - and yes I understand those frames were leftover from the FBI pistol contract and the FBI could care less, but to the civilian consumer, it was something MANY of us noticed, and wanted Glock to fix, on a $500+ pistol, it looked very rushed and unfinished, when a pistol like the G26 had frame/slide matching beveling for years.

Could I be totally wrong and Glock is going to make 2 frames just on this moon cut-out feature? Sure, but I don't think I am. I said it for almost a year that once they matched the frame beveling and deleted the cutout I would buy the Gen5 pistols, as I do think they are quintessentially perfect otherwise. I'm just about ready to do so, a G45 and a G19 Gen5 are in my future. Being a lefty I appreciate the ambi-slide lock.

I’ll let everyone know Wednesday. Mine is with Bolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by ricky_bobby View Post
    OK so this is a multi-faceted response.

That being said, my proof that G17 Gen5 frame exist without the cutout is here:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/ne...anges.1727178/

Could I be totally wrong and Glock is going to make 2 frames just on this moon cut-out feature? Sure, but I don't think I am. I said it for almost a year that once they matched the frame beveling and deleted the cutout I would buy the Gen5 pistols, as I do think they are quintessentially perfect otherwise. I'm just about ready to do so, a G45 and a G19 Gen5 are in my future. Being a lefty I appreciate the ambi-slide lock.
    Isn’t the G45 and Gen5 G17 MOS proof that frame exists?

I’m pretty sure Glock will be producing both frames as long as they’re making the M models, unless FBI wants the change.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Isn’t the G45 and Gen5 G17 MOS proof that frame exists?

I’m pretty sure Glock will be producing both frames as long as they’re making the M models, unless FBI wants the change.
    *And the Gen5 19 MOS also has no cutout now too*

I would agree with your second sentence, however my only question in response is "Why would Glock make a second separate frame without the cutout?" for the MOS models only? Its not cost effective to mass produce, especially since its more of a "silent update" as its not mentioned in Glock's marketing materials on the MOS or G45 models. I could understand if they said its an updated feature, e.g. "Gen5 MOS models now feature non-cutout front strap for quicker reloads!" etc

You may very well be correct and we will continue to see the half moon for quite some time on the "normal" Gen5 pistols - my intuition is that it will be another rolling, silent update. And I hope I'm right.

I hope (and think) you’re right, too. I’ll buy another G19 if so.

I still think they’ll have to keep the other frame design, though, if for nothing else than the M guns.
    Last edited by TC215; 10-29-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Hey what's the deal with Some Gen 5 Glocks having a 'modified' breech face that I've read about but have not seen what they are talking about in pictures or even proof of it?
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Hey what's the deal with Some Gen 5 Glocks having a 'modified' breech face that I've read about but have not seen what they are talking about in pictures or even proof of it?
    After hearing that myself too I disassembled my 2006 build G26G3 and 2017 build G17G5 and couldn't see a noticeable change in the breech face and I'm a machinist/machine designer. I checked extractor tension on HST brass. The G3 has an Apex extractor and non LCI spring loaded bearing (increases extractor tension). These modifications are the typical ones which improve and sometimes cure brass-to-face on Gen 3 and 4s.

The stock Gen 5 has way more extractor tension on the brass than the modified Gen 3. By feel it's probably 40% more than the Gen 3. My guess, not corroborated, is the tolerances of, or distance between, the extractor slot and the breech face have changed.
    Last edited by STI; 10-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.

User Tag List