Page 211 of 346 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221261311 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Glad you and your son are enjoying your Glocks. I do also. However, it’s natural to shoot better with something you have had instruction on and time behind the trigger with. You might be surprised what you could do with a P226 with training from someone who knows how to teach that system, and a few hundred rounds through it.
    Roger that.

I accept that he preferred the Glock platform and was not fond of the Sig. Call it unfamiliarity perhaps. However my son did give me a number of reasons why he didn't like the Sig 226. He came right out and commented on slide height and the height of the bore axis on the 226. He preferred the recoil impulse of the G17 over the 226 and said he could get his sights back on target quicker. He said that he preferred how the G17 felt in his hand over the 226. Now that could easily be attributed to his familiarity with Glock.

One big turnoff he described was the de-cocker on the Sig. Not that it was a problem but that the range commands during the competition were not uniform across the firing line on who and when competitors were required to de-cock. Obviously an administrative problem but my son put partial blame on the gun because it had that function. Since this was a live fire competition of Police Cadets ranging in age from 14 to 21 (In my son's Post they range from kids to active duty military) there was a police officer shadowing every cadet on the firing line. They were on the State Police Academy range and about 15 cadets were on the firing line at a time. It sounded like the commands echoed by individual assigned RSOs were inconsistent across the line.

As a side note my son experienced a double feed malfunction while competing. He knows how to clear it but the RSO took over. His RSO struggled for a while then got another RSO to help her. The two RSOs continued to struggle and finally they cleared it with one holding the frame and the other working the slide. I can't quite find the words to describe how I felt listening to my son tell me about this incident. He recognized and acknowledged how screwed these individuals would have been if this ever happened to them in real life and he described to me what they were doing wrong. He said, "dad neither one knew enough to lock the slide open then the magazine will come out". I timed him yesterday doing double feed malfunction clearances and he was consistently between 4 & 4.5 seconds to get the gun back up and at the point. He is a respectful young man and followed the rules but I bet he wanted to say, give me that thing and I'll show you how to do it!
    Last edited by JohnO; 05-28-2018 at 10:00 AM.

I can make strong for and against arguments for the 1911, Da/SA, LEM and striker pistols. I am guessing the instructors were not fond of the Sig and DA/SA pistols and these were not loved on DA/SA specimens like many of us have. If Ernest Langdon or another enthusiast was there, I bet he would feel differently.

I shoot all types enough that the distinctions blurr and I think of them more as with or without a dot and what technique I use to safely holster them.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can make strong for and against arguments for the 1911, Da/SA, LEM and striker pistols. I am guessing the instructors were not fond of the Sig and DA/SA pistols and these were not loved on DA/SA specimens like many of us have. If Ernest Langdon or another enthusiast was there, I bet he would feel differently.

I shoot all types enough that the distinctions blurr and I think of them more as with or without a dot and what technique I use to safely holster them.
    I make no apologizes for my love of the 1911. I carry and train with a 1911 exclusively and have been doing so since before CT limited magazine capacity to 10 rounds. About a month ago I trained with Kyle Defoor again. Kyle gave the 1911 a little jazz saying it was archaic. This comment came out when Kyle was demonstrating contact shots on a target backer. In a nutshell Kyle referred to the superiority of the Glock design because he could thumb the back of his Glock slide and press into the backer and fire a shot because his thumb was preventing the slide from coming out of battery. Kyle said something like, no offence to anyone here but the 1911 in an archaic design and you can't do what I just did.

I cleared my throat and said, "excuse me, watch this". I proceeded to jam my 1911 into a backer with my strong hand and pull the backer into the gun with my support hand. The backer was well bent around my 1911 and there was obviously significantly more pressure on the muzzle of my gun than Kyle had used in his demo. I proceeded to blow a good size hole in the backer. I commented that I could put my entire body weight behind the gun while the muzzle is in contact and still fire a shot. Finger pressing on the trigger, drop the safety when you want the shot to fire. Can your thumb support your body weight? Kyle commented something like; it sure helps to know how to use what you carry. I earned a little respect there, perhaps for an archaic gun too!

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That's a lot of money for a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    That's a lot of money for a Glock.
    Bragging rights. Nothing more! There was a guy at my recent Defoor pistol class with a tricked out Glock. I don't want to name names but it was one of those $1000+ packages added to a Glock. Kyle Defoor took a look at the gun due to some issues the owner was having and Kyle instructed the owner to make sure he was always loading and unloading into a berm.

I just can't understand this need to dress up a Glock. Good sights are a must have, everything else is lipstick on a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Bragging rights. Nothing more! There was a guy at my recent Defoor pistol class with a tricked out Glock. I don't want to name names but it was one of those $1000+ packages added to a Glock. Kyle Defoor took a look at the gun due to some issues the owner was having and Kyle instructed the owner to make sure he was always loading and unloading into a berm.

I just can't understand this need to dress up a Glock. Good sights are a must have, everything else is lipstick on a pig.
    Some people try to purchase skill in lieu of putting in the required work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s actually not near as much as I thought they’d when I saw Larry do a video about them a couple days ago. However, I’d take a stock gen 5 over that even if it was $550 or whatever. The stippling is ugly, I don’t want to pay to put people’s logos on my gun, I don’t like the milking on the top of the slide, and yea that’s all they did to the gun it looks like. If I was a collector then sure but nah I’m good on that.

Ive got 2 gen5 19's was contemplating getting a G-17 Gen5 for IDPA, now Im thinking maybe a 19X, thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    Ive got 2 gen5 19's was contemplating getting a G-17 Gen5 for IDPA, now Im thinking maybe a 19X, thoughts?
    What do you think the 19X would do that the Gen 5 17 would not? For competition the flared magwell on the Gen 5 is an advantage over previous generations and the 19X. I have never shot a 19X, so take that opionion for what it’s worth.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List