Page 13 of 346 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

I went to the local gun store/range for the Reveal Day for the new gen. 5 Glock 19 and 17. I shot both pistols, as did my wife, then I shot just the 19 a second time. Here's a summary of our range time:

Pros:

-probably irrelevant, but we both liked the new finish

-I liked not having the finger grooves

-the best factory trigger Glock has ever put on a pistol. We both preferred it to our gen. 4 19's that have (-) connectors and a $0.25 trigger job. The gen. 5's felt smoother, lighter, and seemed to have slightly shorter resets.

-most, but not all, of the lateral wobble is gone. It's at least a 75% improvement, maybe more.

-both pistols were accurate, though not any better than my old gen. 3 or my best gen. 4.

-we both liked the beveling on the muzzle end of the slide. It may make bolstering a tad easier, and, subjectively, we thought it was aesthetically pleasing.

Cons:

-it does not pass the extraction test. I tried it four times on the 19 and it failed three times.

-it still has plastic sights

-while the flared magazine well looks good, I could tell no difference in performance from other generations. Glocks are pretty easy to make fast speed reloads.

-it still points high, so no changes in the grip angle.

-while accurate, my P10c's are more accurate, as is my wife's 2.0

-the trigger is terrific for an out-of-the-box Glock (VERY useable), but it's not as good as a host of competitor pistols such as the VP9, PPQ, P10c, P-07, etc. We came away thinking Glock was competing with its previous generations, rather than market competitors.

-while the follower and floor plate have both been changed, the magazine tube length is the same, so downloading one round will still probably be wise.

-maybe it's the way the new front strap is changed by the trigger guard, but the bone on the middle finger of my shooting hand was really pounded (Glock knuckle). I had no desire to shoot it any longer. The area being pounded hurt worse than some recent surgery (not joking!). The RSO told me he had the same issues with the new pistol. Due to the new design, I'm not sure this will be as easy to rectify as on my gen. 4 19's. For whatever reason, this did not happen to me on the 17.

We're it not for the "Glock knuckle", or whatever term you want to use, I thought the new pistols were a significant improvement over the previous generations. Neither of us had any issues with the cutout on the front strap, as others have noted, but as of now, I will not be getting one. I never got the Glock knuckle on any previous Glock pistols I've shot/owned, so this issue was somewhat surprising, so when I combine that with the failure to pass the extraction test, I'll pass for now on the gen. 5's. I went in to the store wanting to walk out with a new 19, so I think I was as objective as possible in my evaluation.

I'm sure it's here somewhere but can someone tell me how wide the front sight and rear notch is on the Ameriglos? I'm going to get on the waiting list for a blue label 17. Not sure if I want the Ameriglos or not. I really like the T-Cap front.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post
    We came away thinking Glock was competing with its previous generations, rather than market competitors.
    This is the most insightful comment I've read in this thread. I've shot a lot of Glocks over the years and still have a pile of them, but, to me, this is still all about the grip angle. You may love it, tolerate it or hate it, but you no longer have to settle for it; there is a lot of quality competition in this market niche. It isn't 1985 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    This is the most insightful comment I've read in this thread. I've shot a lot of Glocks over the years and still have a pile of them, but, to me, this is still all about the grip angle. You may love it, tolerate it or hate it, but you no longer have to settle for it; there is a lot of quality competition in this market niche. It isn't 1985 anymore.
    Exactly and that's what shooters should do. Go to the grip angle that floats your boat. If you are seeking a 1911 type trigger, pick a pistol built to have one, and don't bugger up a Glock with spring kits like the one referred to in another active thread that may have defeated the drop safety of the pistol.

My quibble over the insightfulness of Glock competing with itself vs fully tensioned SFA gun is the Glock trigger and fire control design probably shouldn't compete with the lighter, shorter, "easier" to shoot SFA guns.

All the reasons why not having been hashed out in EL's thread. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-consequences
    Last edited by JHC; 08-28-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I don't think they do try to compete against others. I've shot the PpQ and own VP9's. The stock Glock trigger and their safety system are much better than either for me. I like the VP9 but the trigger is so light it makes me a bit worried. IMO after 500 rounds- the new Gen 5 G19 is the best option on the market. I still have a thousand or so rounds to confirm but I'm thrilled with the Gen 5.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Cons:

-it does not pass the extraction test. I tried it four times on the 19 and it failed three times.
    This is a test for 1911s. A non-1911's inability to pass it has no bearing.

-it still has plastic sights
    Maybe the guns YOU shot, but it comes in other configurations. Most of us will be changing them anyway. Dovetail fillers is an apt description.

-it still points high, so no changes in the grip angle.
    Guns point where they point. If it points high for you or low for you, you need to adjust your aim. There is no such thing as a gun that point right where 100% of shooters THINK it should with a neutral grip.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post

I respectfully disagree. The gen.4's we had that failed this test all ended up giving us btf, but when the Apex extractor and non-loci spring loaded bearing were installed, btf went away AND the pistols passed the test every time. A relative and a good friend, all active shooters, have experienced the same improvements noted above after installing the Apex extractor, and I believe a lot of us here were hoping this would be the number one issue Glock would have addressed.

Maybe the guns YOU shot, but it comes in other configurations. Most of us will be changing them anyway. Dovetail fillers is an apt description.

My point is that all the models available to shoot had plastic sights, whereas we had been lead to believe they would have steel sights. Not a big issue for us, merely an observation of what was available on Reveal Day.

Guns point where they point. If it points high for you or low for you, you need to adjust your aim. There is no such thing as a gun that point right where 100% of shooters THINK it should with a neutral grip.
    You are absolutely correct, but when your wife has rheumatoid arthritis in her fingers and wrists, adjusting your aim, or more appropriately, your grip, may not be an option available to you any longer. Something for healthy shooters to consider when dealing with shooters with disabilities they wish they didn't have.

The gen.4's we had that failed this test all ended up giving us btf, but when the Apex extractor and non-loci spring loaded bearing were installed, btf went away AND the pistols passed the test every time. A relative and a good friend, all active shooters, have experienced the same improvements noted above after installing the Apex extractor, and I believe a lot of us here were hoping this would be the number one issue Glock would have addressed..
    Maybe I'm just lucky but we've never had the BTF issue with about 1000 rounds on my wife's stock 19.4 and 100+ on mine. The only time I've ever seen it was on the range rental P320 my wife tried out in February; three out of three to the face and she was done.

Also, what's behind the widespread hate for the stock plastic sights? Do they just get chewed up after a while, and that's what people don't like?

I might be looking at a Gen 5 when we go shopping for a 17 around Christmas but we'll see. I don't have a problem with our Gen 4 19s right now and I don't need to spend any more cash at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I guess you are right, but it'd be interesting to see some Gen 5 samples tested.

From what I understand, the extractor design is basically the same as previous models.

A SCD-equipped G5G19 is definitely on my short list of future 'one size fits all' pistols for both CCW and USPSA use.

The extractor is redesigned and looks closer to the Apex FRE extractor from what I've seen online so far.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List