Page 314 of 346 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315316324 ... LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

For me a 13lb recoil spring tracks the best with a Kkm 4 port

Smooth slide travel, no nose dive in return to battery. 15lb feels softer but bounces more.

For what’s its worth - a draw one shot/slide lock reload/double is best way for me to assess how a gun really tracks in recoil.

You get the grip you get and it’s more consistent for me than shooting from the ready to watch muzzle rise.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Just a quick follow up from yesterday, I gave my sights a slight adjustment and they are now POA/POI @ 25 yards. The wind died down and it was much easier to shoot. I am thankful to be able to shoot outdoors as the weather keeps me on my toes and makes me a better shooter. My G45 now has about 600 rounds through it with zero problems. Ejection is greatly improved from my Gen3 guns and I am a believer in the BFC. Like my Gen5 17, the gun runs very smooth. At this point I have around 1200 rounds on the Gen5 system and feel it is a better gun than the Gen3 and worthy of the switch. After we finished with the G45, my son and I played around with our Ruger Toklat and an AR. It was a great day of shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Friend of mine brought his new Gen 5 G17 this weekend. I like it. I don't notice Glock knuckle as much with it as older Glocks. It's no better than my 3s and 4s with frame/trigger job. If I had one, I'd probably stipple it and undercut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're the only person I've seen mention this... Every Gen 3/4 I've had, whether full size or compact, I've had to work over with my dremel. I got my G17.5 about two weeks ago and have put a couple hundred live rounds thru it, daily dryfire and haven't had any issues with my knuckles.
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to run a beaver tail to avoid slide bite, but as usual I got cut up.

*Also posted in the Gen 5 Glock 40 thread*
    Spoiler alert...the 22.5 is a shooter

Got to hit the range this AM and do a quick eval. Ammo is tight so tried to make it count. Brought my 17.5, 22.5, USP 40 V3 and PX4 .40 to shoot. Shot 2 rounds of the Hackathorn Test (10 yards) Bill Drills (7 yards) and also shot a TRex Arms drill (5 yards) with the 17.5 and 22.5 (ran out of those targets so didn’t shoot them with the USP or PX4). Ammo used was Tula 115 for the 17.5 and WWB 165 for the .40s. Shot all drills from high ready as I only have a holster for the G17.5 and PX4.

First up, my early G17.5 with factory Ameriglo’s as a control. Gun is stippled and has the Kagwerks raised slide stop. Other than that it is bone stock. Disclaimer...haven’t shot any timed pistol drills in quite a while because of the ammo shortage and have been busy with non-shooting stuff so I was a little rusty with the 17.5. At any rate, here’s the target:

Name:  DA3CBC62-5A25-41D8-B597-275A7ABECB19.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  52.9 KB

Next up was the G22.5. It is 100% bone stock with the shitty Glock plastic sights. I fell into a groove with this gun pretty quickly...my second “The Test” is among the best I’ve ever shot considering my part time...especially with a gun I had a grand total of 10 rounds through. Bill Drill was right there with the G17. G22 performance:

Name:  AA0A172F-9422-4BF4-8495-9C3476ECB6E8.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  49.1 KB

Following the G22 was my HK USP 40 V3. It’s got Trijicon HDs and the USP Match trigger kit sans the adjustable overtravel trigger. Also has the decocker only variant plate. It’s not as flat shooting as the G22.5 but as long as you clamp down on the grip it can be shot pretty well. Gets a tad “bouncy” when shot at speed on things like a Bill Drill but not too terrible. Ran “The Test” twice and the Bill Drill once because I was out of TRex Arms targets at this point.

Name:  EFBA183D-0489-4AD6-9514-37DC953D9967.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  50.4 KB

Last up was my Beretta PX4 Inox .40. This gun has the Beretta Competition Trigger pack, Langdon 12# hammer spring, G conversion (decocker only) and Langdon Ameriglo sights. Inadvertently locked the gun open on the Bill Drill due to my grip hitting the slide stop upwards so I will be ordering the Stealth slide release soon. This gun also desperately needs a stipple job.

Name:  2A0A8C56-AD89-4C18-AE04-5AF1B1CFFD93.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  55.0 KB

After the “formal” targets I loaded each gun with 7 rounds and blindly shot into the berm to gauge each gun’s recoil impulse. The PX4 was sharper than both the USP 40 and G22.5. Not by much, but it was noticeable. Loaded the USP and G22 and did the same thing again and I couldn’t pick a clear winner between the USP 40 and G22.5. Both recoil about the same and feel very pleasant with 165s. 180s should be softer yet.

Had 36 rounds left at this point so loaded two full mags for the G22.5 and installed one of my TLR-1s to check function. Zero issues with the light mounted albeit this is a sample size of 1 gun and 36 rounds with the TLR-1. Will do more testing in the future with WMLs to see if any issues arise. Had 6 rounds left and decided to run one more Bill Drill with the 22.5/TLR-1:

Name:  C70BDA9E-DBE0-4111-B33A-6D8D6467EF8C.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  44.2 KB

All in all my initial 100 round impression with this 22.5 is very positive. I’m highly considering picking up a 23.5 before the end of the year. Ejection was 2-3’ in a nice rainbow arc at ~ 3 o’clock. The gun does have the breechface cut like newer Gen 5 9mms but did not launch them with near as much authority as my G45 does. I’m going to swap the sights, get it stippled/undercut and call it good. Hoping Kagwerks comes out with a raised slide stop for these new Gen 5 .40s because I did have a few failures to lock back due to my grip riding the factory slide stop. Hope this helps any prospective buyers.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 10-27-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Well here I am again with a Gen5 17 with a trigger that is totally going to shit at about 2K rounds.

My early Gen5 19s did it.

I am just not understanding what the hell I’m supposed to be doing with these things.

The gun has never been detail stripped, is not particularly dirty, has always been well lubed with Slip 2000 EWL, and has not been abused or even ran hard.

I let a guy that works for me use it to prep himself for a handgun license and I pulled my nearly new spare out of the safe to use. It has a delicious trigger. The other one is at probably 7lbs and has a distinctive, audible hitch before the break and gritty creep.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Well here I am again with a Gen5 17 with a trigger that is totally going to shit at about 2K rounds.

My early Gen5 19s did it.

I am just not understanding what the hell I’m supposed to be doing with these things.

The gun has never been detail stripped, is not particularly dirty, has always been well lubed with Slip 2000 EWL, and has not been abused or even ran hard.

I let a guy that works for me use it to prep himself for a handgun license and I pulled my nearly new spare out of the safe to use. It has a delicious trigger. The other one is at probably 7lbs and has a distinctive, audible hitch before the break and gritty creep.
    There’s a bunch of crap between the trigger bar and connector.

Clean it and lube that area

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    There’s a bunch of crap between the trigger bar and connector.

Clean it and lube that area

There’s nothing but oil between the trigger bar and connector.

The last two gun this happened to I went so far as to have everything but the slide NP3 plated and no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    There’s nothing but oil between the trigger bar and connector.

The last two gun this happened to I went so far as to have everything but the slide NP3 plated and no dice.
    Okay. Just reading that the gun had never been detail stripped made me wonder how we’d know what’s on the trigger bar.

Perhaps some gunk in the compression based trigger return spring adding poundage ?

Trigger bars are cheap enough to buy a few spares. I have changed one or two on new guns with around a thousand or so rounds due to crunch that can not be attributed to gunk build up. I think some are just nastier (more stamping defects or just not de burred enough) from the factory. Once changed the hitch or crunch usually stays gone. Not sure what the deal is possibly a tolerance stacking type issue. I don't get it but it seems to fix the problem triggers I have seen short of buying aftermarket parts. It may be a dirty striker channel as well.

I had a G19 that had the trigger get worse and worse. Finally found that somehow the striker channel liner had gotten a tiny tear in the plastic. Switched out and back to normal.

User Tag List