Thread: Bobbing the Hammer of an HK P30LS V3?

How to Bob the Hammer of an HK P30LS V3?

The spur portion of the hammer on my P30LS V3 that I carry AIWB hits me uncomfortably when I bend at the waist. If memory serves, the spur is just plastic and can be removed, but my Google-Fu is weak and I could not find any instructions on how to remove the spur when searching the site.

Is it just a matter of grabbing the plastic with pliers and ripping it off? Or is there a more elegant way to remove the spur?
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 01-07-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    The spur portion of the hammer on my P30LS V3 that I carry AIWB hits me uncomfortably when I bend at the waist. If memory serves, the spur is just plastic and can be removed, but my Google-Fu is weak and I could not find any instructions on how to remove the spur when searching the site.

Is it just a matter of grabbing the plastic with pliers and ripping it off? Or is there a more elegant way to remove the spur?
    I am interested in this post and learning about HKs. I could not find any bobbed hammer options for a P30, like the HK45s have. I tested my P30sk v3 (which might be different) with a magnet and found the spur to be metal and the same one piece. Curious... did you check with a magnet?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I could not find any bobbed hammer options for a P30, like the HK45s have. I tested my P30sk v3 (which might be different) with a magnet and found the spur to be metal and the same one piece. Curious... did you check with a magnet?
    No bobbed hammer options exist for the P30. The spur is indeed metal, but a good bit of the portion that is the "spur" and really protrudes is just plastic or har rubber. I've seen pics of someone who removed theirs, but just can't find the thread, since it was from a few years back (and maybe on HKPro). I just can't remember how they removed it; whether they used a solvent or just pulled it off with blunt force.

If memory serves, it's not the cleanest look, but it should serve my purposes for comfort.

I'm also debating trying LEM out, but I've already got two P30LS pistols, so it's probably the smarter route to just try and make what I have work.

Site Supporter
    There is one bobbed, non-LEM hammer option if you can find it. It doesn’t require the cocking piece of the LEM and apparently works with P30 and P2000. I don’t have direct experience with it.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/207036?

There is also a thread in the archives where a few of us went over some details in 2016. I believe one of the members at the time bobbed a V3 hammer to try it out, but it will take some searching.

The P30 spurred hammer is a total gut hatchet when you lean forward. If you go to HandgunHero and compare the P30 to just about any other TDA pistol, you'll see that the position of the hammer relative to the top of the front strap is further back than on a P226, P07, or 92. Consequently, because the slide starts further back, it also works better for me as an optics platform because I can let the holster ride lower in AIWB/IWB without the optic getting under my belt line.

Searches here and on other forums have led me to conclude that there is no readily available DA/SA bobbed hammer for the P30. The link to MGW in the last post appears to be for a true DAO V5/V6 hammer. Other people suggested using an LEM hammer, but that requires a cocking piece and is not compatible with DA/SA V3.

After finding my new LTT P30L RDO too uncomfortable for me to carry due to the hammer spur, I figured I needed some practice with my Dremel before taking the beavertails off a few of my Sig P226 and P229 Legions (don't try this at home). The spur is some type of hard rubber or polymer, but there is a steel underneath it. About 1/8" in from the end of the hammer spur, the steel became exposed. The exposed steel was obnoxiously shiny, so I cold blued it and then coated with flat Super Black.

Name:  20240223_170656.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  68.7 KB

User Tag List