Page 311 of 346 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Is this going to be like that "ZOMG!!! Gen5 guns get hot and melt!!!" brouhaha?
    Gen5's do get hot. Considerably hotter than other pistols. And after I put out my experience, multiple people came along and shared theirs. Then JodyH threw some science at it and confirmed that yes, they do in fact heat up significantly. When the heat from shooting gets combined with a hot day and some sunshine, the gun can literally burn you through a holster:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....t-issues/page5

I never said they melted.

I actually have what I think will probably be permanent scars on my pelvis from the fucking thing.

The accuracy issue is not as universal, or at least it certainly doesn't seem that way at this point. I've heard from individuals that their guns had issues, but when I heard from some folks responsible for a large contract purchase that they had to have guns retrofitted to fix the issue, I paid more attention and I mentioned it here...because one of PF's selling points is usually being well ahead of the curve thanks to people who shoot more, train more, and who know a whole lot more about what's going on in the market and in institutions than just about any group on any other gun-related resource on the web.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-10-2020 at 02:26 PM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    More anecdote than data, this is my one and only ten shot group at 25 yards with my “loose” Glock 45 and Gold Dot 124+P. I was shooting pretty fast.

Attachment 60140
    All four of my Gen 5 pistols (G45, 19X, two 43X) are solid from the barrel hood. But that's not been where I looked for precision Glock fit. The pattern I found over years with Gen 3, Gen 4 and now Gen 5's is checking side to side slide to frame solidity.

With the trigger reset I grip the pistol in my firing hand and with my other thumb and forefinger I pinch the rear of the slide at the rear sight/rear slide serrations area and attempt to rock the slide side to side. If there is any play, I don't buy that pistol.

Once I got tipped to this, in checking all the Glocks in my battery I found a 100% correlation. If my Glock had some rock, I'd never seen better than like ~4" level 25 yard groups for 5. If the gun had no perceptible play it could go to the 2" level.

Back when I picked out my G19X my patient LGS buddy stacked up 6 of them for me to sort out which one I wanted. They were nearly identical in all respects but I felt a little better about the smoothness of one trigger. However all six were identically tight in my slide pinch test. That day they had a new Gen 5 G26 and it was solid in my side to side test. I don't recall finding a Gen 5 loose in this area.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    A walk back to 45 yards.

Attachment 56604

a couple weeks later two walkbacks, one SHO one freestyle

Attachment 56605
    Had similar results with the G45
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Gen5's do get hot. Considerably hotter than other pistols.
    I definitely notice this. I appreciate you bringing the accuracy issue to light and hope it does not represent some change in the Gen 5 line because to me they are everything I could want in a pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    They have (I bought one of the FDE 19’s when they first came out), but Lipsey’s just released Gray/FDE Gen5’s with the front serrations and no half-moon cutout, in standard and MOS versions.
    Does anyone know where to find one of these beauts? Or one of the BFG models?

Quote Originally Posted by thatguybryan View Post
    Does anyone know where to find one of these beauts? Or one of the BFG models?
    They’re on Gunbroker, but they’re expensive.

Lipsey’s has the “rights” to the gray and FDE models, so you can check with any dealer that uses Lipsey’s as a distributor.

I got my BFG 19 through Palmetto State Armory. They were only in stock for a few minutes.

I finally fondled my first 5th generation a few weeks back--a 43x. Best trigger I've felt on a Glock. 43x is high on my list for a 9mm carry gun, since it is very close in size to my Kahr .45.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Well I’m about 6 or 7 years late to the party.....

But there’s something to this Roland special stuff.

Zev gen 5 duty slide has the lowest cut in the industry. Cowitness with regular sights

Name:  1FFA1CE1-9F61-46AC-9EB4-54E60E3407FF.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  103.2 KB

Name:  98A57E83-AF95-4B7F-B0DF-39EC7E3258CC.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  51.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Well I’m about 6 or 7 years late to the party.....

But there’s something to this Roland special stuff.

Zev gen 5 duty slide has the lowest cut in the industry. Cowitness with regular sights
    Thoughts on the Zev slide, such as quality and reliability?
    I'm building a Gen3 Roland and seriously considering the Zev Duty Slide but I'm nervous about the threaded posts because they use smaller screws and if the post breaks the slide is ruined.
    Also, does it also have front bosses milled in? Pics look like it does but it's not mentioned. That would make me feel a bit better about the threaded posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Thoughts on the Zev slide, such as quality and reliability?
    I'm building a Gen3 Roland and seriously considering the Zev Duty Slide but I'm nervous about the threaded posts because they use smaller screws and if the post breaks the slide is ruined.
    Also, does it also have front bosses milled in? Pics look like it does but it's not mentioned. That would make me feel a bit better about the threaded posts.
    I’ve got 850 trouble free rounds through this set up since new (2 weeks ago)

The threaded posts are legit. The take the recoil so the screws don’t need to be big, nor do they need more than 9 inch lbs of torque. Recoil bosses are there. Slide cut is super deep.

Stock Gen 5 Slide internals (save for reduce power striker spring and Taran tactical 15lb recoil spring)

Ameriglo Defoor sighs just peek Over the RMR - good enough for use if the dot goes down

If you break a post it could be milled off and re threaded to 6/32 so no worries.

CHPWs has the rights to cut Zev posts in an RMR slide - which I’d do if milling one

As it is I bought 2 of these gen 5 duty slides and I’m quite pleased.

Also you can use a gen 5 slide on a gen 4 gun with a gen 4 slide cover plate if you’re so inclined.

Also if you have an Overwatch precision trigger and gen 4 trigger housing that will work in a gen 5 gun also - which is what I’ve done here on a G45 frame.

Trigger rolls are 3lbs 11oz.

User Tag List