Page 71 of 346 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post

HCM not trying to make anything it is not. My experiences with Glocks and their shitty extraction and ejection do cause me to be skeptical. I've had a shit load of samples that all develop BTF which started out with weak ass ejection. Absolutely relevant, personally I would prefer a system that has all of its components preforming their individual function at their peak and not rely upon a multitude of components to preform one function. If I can do something to factually increase reliability then I will. If others are in the same camp thats fine, if their in opposing camps thats fine too but in my experience shit works until it doesn't. Typically at the most inopportune time.
    I'm with you on weak Glock extraction and ejection but relying on the synergy of multiple components for those functions is part of the price for a minimalistic system which functions with a minimal number of parts i.e. a Glock.

My duty Gen 4 17 ran fine for the first 7k rounds then started BTF and FTE. It took a HRED and a new ejector to get it 100% again. Regardless that does not make the 10-8 test relevant to Glocks. They just are not designed to function that way.

Having carried and observed multiple examples of both Glocks and HK USP Compacts, peak function of individual components = HK :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Fair enough. And I certainly like my HKs also, but they come with a set of potential concern as well (particularly, God help me if I ever have sufficient/necessary cause to detail disassemble and then reassemble without Hans The HK Engineer at my right hand, and a coherent step-by-step photo procedure and connectivity to YouTube all present). And a bright, well-lit administrative workshop area to perform in....

Best, Jon
    There are "manuals" out there. I don't find them too difficult but I don't just dive in like I would with a Glock.

Hey, why can't we have a place here for .pdf manuals???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm with you on weak Glock extraction and ejection but relying on the synergy of multiple components for those functions is part of the price for a minimalistic system which functions with a minimal number of parts i.e. a Glock.

My duty Gen 4 17 ran fine for the first 7k rounds then started BTF and FTE. It took a HRED and a new ejector to get it 100% again. Regardless that does not make the 10-8 test relevant to Glocks. They just are not designed to function that way.

Having carried and observed multiple examples of both Glocks and HK USP Compacts, peak function of individual components = HK :-)
    Spoken like an HK junkie, takes one to know one I guess. :-) I think you have a solid point though as everything comes at a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Fair enough. And I certainly like my HKs also, but they come with a set of potential concern as well (particularly, God help me if I ever have sufficient/necessary cause to detail disassemble and then reassemble without Hans The HK Engineer at my right hand, and a coherent step-by-step photo procedure and connectivity to YouTube all present). And a bright, well-lit administrative workshop area to perform in....

Best, Jon
    HKs are fairly simple to break down and reassemble compared to a lot guns that will require a hammer and blunt force to disassemble. Smith and Wesson at one time thought every part needed to be held in place with a plunger and spring, that shit is real crazy. Deep disassembly of a firearm in the field seems crazy unlikely, way more unlikely than ever using the firearm, that it seems irrelevant outside of heavy military type situations. The more I tear guns apart the more I appreciate hammer, pin, punch, cause done right, that shit ain't going anywhere.

Delta Busta Kappa fratboy Hot Sauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Picked up my G5s today from the stippling dude I use. Same texture that's on my PX4s. The G4s/G5s aren't bad in the texture department but anything can be improved. Had him do a full stipple, radius/slight undercut on the trigger guard (no more Glock knuckle) and I also had him radius the sides of the trigger guard/stipple underneath. I pinch the trigger guard hard with my support hand index finger and over several hundred rounds the 90 degree angle of the trigger guard beats up my index finger knuckle. No more! Also had him stipple the frame bump all the way to where the slide rides. I apply a lot of downward pressure with my support hand thumb when shooting to fight muzzle rise. Some stipple jobs only stipple the sides which doesn't do me any good because I press down on the angled portion on top of the frame bump. Not doing anything else to these particular G5s aside from the future SCD. They are good to go for me as-is, which is really saying something. I'm impressed.
    Who's your guy? That undercut and radius is REALLY nice work, especially the added angles/curves of the radius. Looks really functional.
    Gaming will get you killed in the streets. Dueling will get you killed in the fields.
    -Alexander Hamilton

Thanks! He's my go-to polymer guy. Really fast turnarounds and top notch service. 35 minute drive for me but he also accepts firearm shipments. Alex @ Gun Grip Customs in Jacksonville, NC. I'll be taking my G4 19 & 17 to him next month.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    I put ~200 more rounds through the Gen 5 19 at the farm today. It was a mix of Speer Lawman 147 grain and MBI remanufactured 124 grain. I was shooting steel at 10 yards and 15 yards. I had my timer with me so I had a chance to measure some performance.

I also had my regular carry Gen 4 19 with me and I put ~225 rounds through it.

All magazines were Glock factory G19 and G17 magazines which included 3 Gen 5 G19 magazines.

A few observations:

* No malfunctions with the Gen 5.

* No problems with my pinky and the Gen 5 cutout.

* The Gen 5 will still not pass the 10-8 extractor test.

* It feels like the Gen 5 squirms a more in my hand than my Gen 4. On my Gen 4 the sights track vertical whereas the Gen 5 seems to move vertical and to the right.

* This is probably completely in my imagination but the Gen 5 seems to slightly recoil more than my Gen 4.

* I ran some simple draw from AWIB concealment two shots on the same target drills. My splits with the Gen 5 were consistently 0.10 slower than the Gen 4. I assume this is due to the gun moving more in my hand but it could be due to the difference in sights (factory Ameriglo BOLD on the Gen 5 and Fiberoptic front/blacked out rear on the Gen 4)

*The Gen 5 first shot was 0.20 - 0.30 slower than the Gen 4. I attribute this to the holster being more snug with the Gen 5.

*Slow fire accuracy between the two guns was so similar as to not notice a difference. However, speeding things up I had much fewer misses with the Gen 4. Once again I assume it was due the gun moving more in my hand. I hope to go to the indoor range in the next week and see how the two compare on paper.

I also put a few rounds through my Gen 4 G17 and I was once again reminded that I much prefer the G19....but I can't really explain why.
    I had a chance to run 170 rounds through my Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glock 19s at the indoor range with paper targets. No failures in this session. This was shot mostly with Speer 147 grain TMJ but a little 124 MBI remanufactured ammo.

A few more thoughts/data points:

*In slow fire, in my hands, the Gen 5 appears to be slightly more accurate than my Gen 4. However, I had noticeably more fliers with the Gen 5 versus the Gen 4.

*My Gen 5 G19 came with the factory Ameriglo BOLD sights. With these factory sights the gun is hitting ~1.5" low at 7 yards with 147 grain. It also shoots ~1" left at 7 yards

*In faster strings of fire, in my hands, the Gen 5 groups opened up significantly more than my Gen 4 groups. This confirms with what I saw when shooting steel under time pressure this past weekend.

For me it seems that the difference between these guns is that the Gen 4 grip works better for me. I could probably overcome this with more training. I am going to contact Glock and see if I can get a shorter front sight.

Coal Train, You may want to contact Ameriglo about your sights because you need a front .025 lower or a rear .025 taller.
    I do not think Glock is in the sight exchange business. Are you lining up the top of your front and rear sights?

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Coal Train, You may want to contact Ameriglo about your sights because you need a front .025 lower or a rear .025 taller.
    I do not think Glock is in the sight exchange business. Are you lining up the top of your front and rear sights?
    Thanks JBP55. Yes, I am lining up the top of the front and rear sight.

I would hope that Glock would exchange a sight but I'm afraid you are probably correct.

Saw this tonight at my local ZSA match...guy I know from the matches is shooting it and said said it's the HRT version of the 19M? It's got extended slide releases, Ameriglo's and a FDE frame. Never seen one of these!

Attachment 20243
    Last edited by MSparks909; 09-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List