Page 85 of 346 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    Can anybody explain what engineering steps Glock used to increase accuracy in the Gen 5? Of course barrel lock up at muzzle and breech ends would be a main reason. I'm perplexed how they achieved such in products known for generous tolerances. I wonder if dwell time was altered.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Total noob here but I shot a G19G5 the other day with the Ameriglo sights and it was shooting really low (6"-12" at 15 yds ish) for me.

That was with a 'shoot the dot' hold.

@GJM commented in the sight-specific thread about the .200 front needing to be .165:

Ameriglo FBI Glock Contract Sights

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

I'm still using my fingers and toes for math , but a shorter front sight would raise POI, right?

Have any of you with the Ameriglo stock sights seen a similar 'shooting low' effect of these sights with the G19G5 or G17G5?
    So I've been dipping in the Gen 5 pond the past month or so.

I pre ordered a blue label G19.5 with the Ameribold sights. It shoots POA/ POI with a "#3" / drive the dot hold and 115 and 124 grain ammo. No issues with reliability or the mag cut out on the front strap.

While picking up the 19.5 I had a moment of weakness and picked up a blue label 17.5 with plastic Glock sights aka "dovetail protectors" since they were what was in stock. At the time, I failed to notice the rear sight was all the way to the right on the 17.5.
    I was worried this was necessary to zero the gun but it actually shot to the right. After centering the rear sight it was dead on POA/POI.

Apparently many Gen 5's with the plastic sights are coming from the factory with the rear sights off center / not zeroed, enough that there is a thread over on M4C regarding this issue.

Continuing the Gen 5 fervor, I picked up a Used 19.5 with plastic sights from another LGS. They advised a customer bought it new and traded it in soon after. I soon found out why. The gun shoots quite low. About 2"-3" low at 7 yards with POI getting progressively lower as distance increases - similar to what Rich reported.

I am debating sending it back to Glock or just throwing a set of Dawson adjustables or an RDS in a dovetail type mount on it.

17.5. as it came out of the box.

Name:  IMG_2029.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  48.3 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 10-14-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Site Supporter
    HCM, My Blue label 17 Gen 5 rear sight looked exactly like yours out of the box. I replaced it with an ameriglo blacked out rear and it shoots fine. My 19 Gen 5 was centered out of the box.

Any thoughts on how the Gen 5 does as a candidate for a 17 to 19 grip chop? I am assuming that it's just like any of the previous generations, just checking. I was holding off on the Gen 3 I have because it would still have the finger grooves, perhaps this solves my problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    What weight bullet were you shooting? The Feds use 147gr duty rounds which impact higher than 115gr. I've seen a difference of 5 or 6 inches in elevation at 25 yards.
    For what it's worth, my GEN 19.5 with .200 Ameriglos appear appropriately regulated for 147 grain at 25 yards with a 'split the bull' hold. Ammo was Speer G2.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Can anybody explain what engineering steps Glock used to increase accuracy in the Gen 5? Of course barrel lock up at muzzle and breech ends would be a main reason. I'm perplexed how they achieved such in products known for generous tolerances. I wonder if dwell time was altered.
    I think the barrel lock up enhancements haven't really changed from GEN4 to GEN5. The introduction of the dual spring RSA to the GEN4 had already produced accuracy improvements when comparing the GEN4 to the GEN3. I don't think the G19 RSA has changed from GEN4/GEN5, though the 17.5 RSA is a touch longer due to the common locking block. The GEN5 'Marksman' barrel with the recessed target crown and revised rifling appears most responsible for the increase in accuracy. The improved trigger is another factor to consider from a practical vice mechanical standpoint.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    For what it's worth, my GEN 19.5 with .200 Ameriglos appear appropriately regulated for 147 grain at 25 yards with a 'split the bull' hold. Ammo was Speer G2.

I think the barrel lock up enhancements haven't really changed from GEN4 to GEN5. The introduction of the dual spring RSA to the GEN4 had already produced accuracy improvements when comparing the GEN4 to the GEN3. I don't think the G19 RSA has changed from GEN4/GEN5, though the 17.5 RSA is a touch longer due to the common locking block. The GEN5 'Marksman' barrel with the recessed target crown and revised rifling appears most responsible for the increase in accuracy. The improved trigger is another factor to consider from a practical vice mechanical standpoint.
    The new coil spring for the slide lock seems stronger than the old flat spring and may contribute to the lock up on the Gen5's as well. Definitely requires a bit more force during field stripping.

*THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Alright here is my initial review on her. Have been waiting on sights to shoot her.

I really like the gun. Recoil is soft and she seems accurate. It was raining like a motha. So this was not the best conditions. Ejection was good. I shot with the factory mags and magpul mags. No failures. Ejection did seem different between magazines. Magpul were harder to load 15 rounds. Brand new out of box. For those that care. Magpul mags were also taller.

Installed sights. Semi px4cc sights picture.
    .120 front and .150 rear

Shot her mostly at 7 yards. 100 rounds 147 grain speer lawman tmj.

First 45 rounds

Next 30 rounds

This was 4-5 shot groups at 7 yards in order of shooting

This was at 15 yards. I barely shoot past ten. I totally pulled one bad. For reference. 4 inch circle 1/2 inch square inside.

Coming from a p-10c and a px4cc I am very happy. Best I have shot a Glock. The rolling trigger is money for me. Very clean and a good reset. Sights hit poa/poi. They were standard height ameriglos. I really liked the sights on the px4cc so I tried to somewhat copy them. I know that is only 100 rounds sorry. Shooting was done out of a safariland 7737 lightbearing holster with tlr-1

Last edited by Trukinjp13; 10-14-2017 at 02:29 PM.

The FBI Contract sight has a U-notch rear that is 0.165" wide.

Shot my Gen 5 G19 yesterday for the first time. Federal American Eagle 147gr and 147gr HST. No BTF but I noticed a good number of the rounds went straight up.

All my other Glocks are Gen 3 except for the 43. The Gen 5 stays pretty flat in recoil, I guess due to the dual recoil spring. Very nice.

Trigger is different from what I'm used to with the Gen 3. I'd say slightly heavier but more predictable.

Just went out and put close to 150 S&B 115gr (on why not 150 later) rounds through my 17.5. Ejection was good. I had one fly up and bounce off the right side of my cap. It seemed fairly accurate. Almost as accurate as my 17.3 with a Wilson barrel. I did a 25 cent trigger job and i couldn't feel very much of a difference. I have a 3.5 connector on order to see if it does anything. If it doesn't it won't bother me. I also have a HRED from White sound incoming. I put that in all my Glocks anyways.

Current upgrades are: Trijicon HDs Orange outline. Pearce Grip plug and Grip force adaptor. A note on the Grip force Adaptors. The Longer GFA will only fit one the small grip size. The shorter one will only fit on the grip with the medium backstrap. I also have a Plain jane G-code holster that works great for it. Order time was like 1 week from order placed to front door.

Also if you happen to notice that your gun is shooting low after installing new sights. Make sure you didn't happen to forget to put thread locker on the screw. I after seeing my sight flipping around i thought it was a good time to call it a day.

User Tag List