Page 315 of 346 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    The trigger pull on my practice 19.5 has started to degrade. I need to detail strip it and see if the cause is obvious. The coating on the first trigger bar was defective, so that was an easy fix at just ~2K rounds. That was ~4K rounds ago. Hopefully it's just gunk this time.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I had a G19 that had the trigger get worse and worse. Finally found that somehow the striker channel liner had gotten a tiny tear in the plastic. Switched out and back to normal.
    Definitely worth checking on the fire control parts carefully if the trigger pull starts changing...and the sooner the better.

That way you avoid the fate of a couple of folks in my last concealed carry class that had serious issues. One's gun went full auto, the other's stopped working altogether. Zev's legendary quality control struck again.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Definitely worth checking on the fire control parts carefully if the trigger pull starts changing...and the sooner the better.

That way you avoid the fate of a couple of folks in my last concealed carry class that had serious issues. One's gun went full auto, the other's stopped working altogether. Zev's legendary quality control struck again.
    I don’t think I’ve heard of a Glock pattern pistol failing FA before. That had to be fun...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t think I’ve heard of a Glock pattern pistol failing FA before. That had to be fun...

I wonder how often it happens with stock Glocks vs modified Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Well here I am again with a Gen5 17 with a trigger that is totally going to shit at about 2K rounds.

My early Gen5 19s did it.

I am just not understanding what the hell I’m supposed to be doing with these things.

The gun has never been detail stripped, is not particularly dirty, has always been well lubed with Slip 2000 EWL, and has not been abused or even ran hard.

I let a guy that works for me use it to prep himself for a handgun license and I pulled my nearly new spare out of the safe to use. It has a delicious trigger. The other one is at probably 7lbs and has a distinctive, audible hitch before the break and gritty creep.
    I’ve had this happen with two 17.5 non MOS guns. The trigger bar seems to be the culprit but I can’t figure out why. My 45 MOS is starting to do the same thing. I’m going to put an Apex trigger and connector in it that I have sitting around and run it for awhile. I’m not a big fan of the wide Apex trigger shoe but I want to see if the trigger bar holds up.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    For me a 13lb recoil spring tracks the best with a Kkm 4 port

Smooth slide travel, no nose dive in return to battery. 15lb feels softer but bounces more.

For what’s its worth - a draw one shot/slide lock reload/double is best way for me to assess how a gun really tracks in recoil.

You get the grip you get and it’s more consistent for me than shooting from the ready to watch muzzle rise.

I didn’t see this post until now. Are you running a lighter striker spring with that?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I’ve had this happen with two 17.5 non MOS guns. The trigger bar seems to be the culprit but I can’t figure out why. My 45 MOS is starting to do the same thing. I’m going to put an Apex trigger and connector in it that I have sitting around and run it for awhile. I’m not a big fan of the wide Apex trigger shoe but I want to see if the trigger bar holds up.
    I’ve been suspicious of the Gen 5 slide stop lever - if the U is bent even slightly narrow, it seems to interfere with the side of the trigger bar. I’ve been trying to keep that area clean and lightly lubed, but I’ve also been meaning to give it a limited fluff and buff only at that interference point to see if it helps.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I didn’t see this post until now. Are you running a lighter striker spring with that?
    Yes. Wolff 4lb - cause I like to get down

Admittedly this ported gun tracks flatter than the comped set up

Last edited by Duke; 11-22-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The interaction between the trigger bar and the disconnector is crucial.

Polymer injection molding is an art and science. The molds themselves wear over time, changing the dimensions of parts ever so slightly as they do so. Glock likely has an excellent understanding internally of exactly how the dimensions of their polymer injection molded parts change throughout production, as well as the tolerances on their stamped parts. Or, at least they should. When Glock makes changes, even seemingly minor changes, that can have unpredictable effects.

Then factor in that they are making tens of thousands of guns per month as their production runs flat out...

So when an aftermarket company comes along and looks at a specific Glock's disconnector and trigger bar and makes up their own parts based on measuring those parts and then, factoring in their own manufacturing tolerances and quality control, they sell those parts for any one of millions of different samples of Glock pistols that can have small but significant variability between even guns in the same production run....

Well, that all stacks up. And that's IF the company making the aftermarket parts is observing principles of better safe than sorry rather than pursuing the closest thing they can get to a 2 pound 1911 trigger. And, unfortunately, there's plenty of evidence of companies going the 2 pound 1911 route.

If you get just the right combination of disconnector and trigger bar in just the right Glock, you get a gun that unpredictably behaves like a Glock 18. If you get a disconnector that didn't get properly quality controlled and it gets installed in some Glocks, the gun will predictably behave like a Glock 18.

I've encountered both. People who don't reset the trigger during recoil...and affliction many Glock shooters have because of poor instruction that was actually encouraged by Glock in the past...tend to experience the problem if their assemblage of parts makes it possible. People who reset during recoil may never see it until they change their shooting style for some reason and get an unexpected and unwelcome burst of fire.

There is a reason why I will only replace factory fire control parts with those made by Apex. Apex was not first to the market with Glock stuff precisely because they understood the undertaking and took their time to do their homework carefully. Apex started as a real gunsmithing operation and then evolved into manufacturing replacement parts. That's crucial.

If you talk to Ben Simonson of Boresight Solutions, you'll find that he makes heavy use of Apex parts in his Glock work because of how reliable their product is. That would be something of a clue.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List