Page 196 of 346 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    No huge deal but I’m having difficulty depressing the mag release in an aggressive manner. Combination of being a wimp and perhaps having to flip my grip to hit the release with the middle finger of my strong (left) hand.
    My wife is a lefty and she presses the mag release on her Glocks with her trigger finger.

Now that I am running a p30 with the paddle, thinking Glocks are getting switched to right hand side to run the mag release with trigger finger. Basically duplicating mag changes. I do believe it is pretty dang fast that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question: I have a local match coming up and was practicing some reloads.

No huge deal but I’m having difficulty depressing the mag release in an aggressive manner. Combination of being a wimp and perhaps having to flip my grip to hit the release with the middle finger of my strong (left) hand.

Are there any hardware solutions to this or do I just muddle along doing the best I can? I shoot Production so generally have 2-3 mag changes per stage.

Obviously I should focus on shooting Alphas and not leaving steel, but I thought I’d ask, especially you guys with more Glock experience than me. Thx.
    Install the slightly extended OEM mag release from the Gen 4, which fits the G5 pistols. Only caveat is that extended mag releases in a lefty holster are more prone to inadvertent mag release (assuming mag release is on left side).

For your second Glock, I would consider a 19X or 17.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My wife is a lefty and she presses the mag release on her Glocks with her trigger finger.
    Thanks, I just can’t seem to do that, based on several sessions trying. I’ll give it another go after tomorrow night tho.

This area (mag release) is where I do miss my VP9 and the paddles.
    @GJM thanks yes a 17.5 is a possibility too. For me it’d be like a 34 is to most normal sized hands I guess.

Thanks, I just can’t seem to do that, based on several sessions trying. I’ll give it another go after tomorrow night tho.

@GJM thanks yes a 17.5 is a possibility too. For me it’d be like a 34 is to most normal sized hands I guess.
    Why not just flip the mag release around so you can use your strong hand thumb? Takes literally 2 minutes.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter

Rich,

I am a lefty who was a firearms instructor when the department transitioned to Glocks. Prior to the transition, we received training from Glock's instructors. Some of the training focused on left hand manipulation of magazine release. Glock's instructors recommended left handers use their left index finger to engage release. The method taught was to slightly cant the pistol inward, then using the tip of your index finger to engage release. A gentle roll will do the trick. You can then snap back the pistol as your inserting a new magazine. Reason for method is your thumb and middle finger will fight each other on either side of the magazine release. The roll moves your thumb out of the way. Some of our right handed instructors with short fingers liked the method so much they reversed their magazine releases.

*THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Hideeho View Post
    Rich,

I am a lefty who was a firearms instructor when the department transitioned to Glocks. Prior to the transition, we received training from Glock's instructors. Some of the training focused on left hand manipulation of magazine release. Glock's instructors recommended left handers use their left index finger to engage release. The method taught was to slightly cant the pistol inward, then using the tip of your index finger to engage release. A gentle roll will do the trick. You can then snap back the pistol as your inserting a new magazine. Reason for method is your thumb and middle finger will fight each other on either side of the magazine release. The roll moves your thumb out of the way. Some of our right handed instructors with short fingers liked the method so much they reversed their magazine releases.
    Thanks a bunch, I will give that a try. I did relieve the sharp edge of the mag release a bit. My forefinger was just hitting the crease which was part of my issue being a lefty. Feels a bit better this way.

In other news, today I took the opportunity to try @LittleLebowski ‘s method of ‘hosing out the inside with non-chlorinated brake cleaner’ and reoiled per the manual.

After cleaning, I dug a patch into and through the area circled:

Notice the dirty patches just out of focus. This is after a ‘normal’ cleaning. Hmmm.

After lube and function check, more of the original trigger feeling has returned. I dunno, maybe some gunk tends to build up in the Gen 5’s in this area, and I had some crud there? Who knows. At least the trigger bar is not being moved outward with the press and there is only a slight feeling of metal on metal during the press. I think shooting I’d hardly notice it. I mean, hell, it’s a Glock.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-18-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Why not just flip the mag release around so you can use your strong hand thumb? Takes literally 2 minutes.
    M - Thanks, I tried that with my weak hand and my thumbs don’t reach. Neither side works. Must have size S thumbs on size M hands I guess.
    Last edited by RJ; 03-18-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Not sure if this came up before, but are the Gen 5 magazine followers identical to Gen 1-4 followers except for the orange color?

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...rod114479.aspx

Anybody know of an in-stock (Brownell’s is oos) source for these? I want to swap out the black ones I have...tks

Just ordered a Gen 5 G17.

I am going to try it out in IPSC this season and see how it goes. I dry fired it a few times at my LGS and the trigger was great, nice rolling break with no wall. I anticipate good things with it after all my DA practice over the years. Stock crap sights gave a picture that was surprisingly good, despite the stupid white outline that they put on them. I am going sharpie the rear and see how they do before I swap em out.

Does anyone have experience with the Gen 5 fitting in Blade-Tech’s classic OWB holster?
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 03-24-2018 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List