Page 45 of 346 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Friend of mine brought his new Gen 5 G17 this weekend. I like it. I don't notice Glock knuckle as much with it as older Glocks. It's no better than my 3s and 4s with frame/trigger job. If I had one, I'd probably stipple it and undercut it.

I'm afraid that the larger slide lock would cause me issues like extended units do. But that's to be seen.

It seems it won't necessarily fit 3/4 holsters. That's a no go for me at this point. Not that I need another Glock. Perhaps when the 34 comes out I would pick one up for USPSA. I think until then, I'll keep using my VP9 and Gen 4.

The trigger on his gun breaks at 6 lbs 4 oz. It feels as though it is a much better trigger; smoother and less snappy. It almost feels like a NY1 combined with a (-) connector.

Unfortunately, there is brass to face with it, resulting in some burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Grab a $2.95 box cutter from Walmart, light your favorite smelling candle, and heat the blade and use the hot blade to trim your existing holster to fit. Takes ~5 minutes and isn't hard at all. Might have to re-heat the blade for 20-30 seconds a couple of times. Let the hot blade do the trim work, then touch up the sharp edges and you're done.
    Brilliant! I was thinking of using a heat gun to try to re-form the holster, but that is riskier.

As a lefty, I wanted to add an additional observation.

When I did my normal 'check the gun is unloaded' routine at the LGS where I saw the G19G5, I locked the slide with the right hand slide lock tab (or whatever is the right word).

As I understand it, Gen 4 and previous only have it on the left.

So, for me at least I would find the ambi slide release useful to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Out of interest for anyone who might be new to a Gen 5 purchase, and contemplating using a GSSF coupon, I emailed the GSSF to find out if the Gen 5 was available.

The response I got was:

"Good afternoon

The Gen 5 will be available under the GSSF Pistol Purchase coupon but we do not have a price yet. Please check back with us in the next two weeks"

Hope this helps.
    Hey Rich. I picked up a Gen 5 a couple of days ago with a GSSF coupon. It was "normal" GSSF or blue label price. Meaning $425 from an LE Dealer. I believe if you have a LE Distributor nearby the price is $398. Check on Glocks site for either or both near you.

Picked up a GEN5 G17...works with my assortment of Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holsters (MD cuts) and my Blade-tech OWB without any need of modification. The only holster I have that needs adjustment is my JMCK custom IWB3...and it is already at Tony's for the mod.

ETA: Also tested my Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Light-Bearing (G17 w/X300), Safariland 6004 (G34 w/X300), a friend's Comp-Tac Paddle, and an Uncle Mike's Paddle. The GEN5 worked with all of them without issue.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-05-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Picked up a GEN5 G17...works with my assortment of Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holsters (MD cuts) and my Blade-tech OWB without any need of modification. The only holster I have that needs adjustment is my JMCK custom IWB3...and it is already at Tony's for the mod.
    To expand on this list ... I put my Gen5 G19 in a Comp-Tac paddle I used for IDPA and it worked perfectly. I also put it in a FIN design scabbard/paddle and it worked perfectly in that one as well. I also put my TLR-1 on it and put it in a Peters Custom Holsters and it worked perfectly in it too. The JMCK was the only one it didn't work in.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    The JMCK was the only one it didn't work in.
    I see things exactly as you do, VolGrad. Having bought four of his holsters, that's one of the things I very much admire about Tony's work: "Precision in Kydex".
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 09-05-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioFinance View Post
    Hey Rich. I picked up a Gen 5 a couple of days ago with a GSSF coupon. It was "normal" GSSF or blue label price. Meaning $425 from an LE Dealer. I believe if you have a LE Distributor nearby the price is $398. Check on Glocks site for either or both near you.
    Excellent, good to know. $425 for a G19 is the 'normal' price of the GSSF site.

Out of interest for anyone who might be new to a Gen 5 purchase, and contemplating using a GSSF coupon, I emailed the GSSF to find out if the Gen 5 was available.

The response I got was:

"Good afternoon

The Gen 5 will be available under the GSSF Pistol Purchase coupon but we do not have a price yet. Please check back with us in the next two weeks"

Hope this helps.
    A friend used his GSSF certificate Saturday which was tax free here and ordered a new Gen 5 G19. No out of pocket cost.

Excellent, good to know. $425 for a G19 is the 'normal' price of the GSSF site.
    Correct, but my friend using his GSSF certificate paid $398.

User Tag List