Page 7 of 346 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Tom, are the connectors the same?
    The M guns have their own connector. Per the RECOIL article the Gen 5 does as well.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-26-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Interesting thread. I may buy a blue-label Gen5, probably a G19, with some of the OT I am earning due to Hurricane Harvey. Damp discomfort today, but perhaps a nice pistol in a few weeks/months. My skinny fingers actually work well with Gen4 G19 finger grooves, but that does not necessarily mean the finger grooves are optimal.
    I actually didn't mind the finger grooves at all. Mine fit pretty well with them, that said, I still had to have the trigger guard undercut, the lack of finger grooves really improves that part of the grip. I may not need to have it undercut at all.

Chris Bartocci just posted on youtube his great summation of the Gen 5 story. For anybody who is not familiar with Chris Bartocci... I highly recommend checking out more on his channel.

Last edited by Thy.Will.Be.Done; 08-26-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Interested to know if anyone has hit the range with a Gen 5 today. As I posted earlier- I could not be happier. Great thread and definitely appreciate the knowledge being shared.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    This is not true -- at least not with my guns. While the right side slide stop does have a notch that it could lock into, it doesn't actually lock into it. When the slide is locked back it's held by the left slide stop just like on the non-ambi gen4 (and earlier guns) and the notch on the right side sits ~0.04" to 0.05" behind the slide stop on that side. I suppose if the left side failed, the right side would catch the slide, but both sides aren't normally engaging the slide.
    I'll certainly take your word on that one. Brings up a follow up Q: do you think that's possibly where the comments about "more resistant to inadvertent auto-forwarding" and "more reliable locking back on empty" come from, i.e. the design of the right side notch has the notch/lever gap in order for it to act as a secondary catch in case the left one slips out of the notch during slide lock?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I'll certainly take your word on that one. Brings up a follow up Q: do you think that's possibly where the comments about "more resistant to inadvertent auto-forwarding" and "more reliable locking back on empty" come from, i.e. the design of the right side notch has the notch/lever gap in order for it to act as a secondary catch in case the left one slips out of the notch during slide lock?
    For at least two of the LE Contracts the M/Gen 5 were designed to compete for Auto-Forwarding was specified as a malfunction in the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Interested to know if anyone has hit the range with a Gen 5 today. As I posted earlier- I could not be happier. Great thread and definitely appreciate the knowledge being shared.

I did, put a little over 100+ rounds and compared to my gen 4 19. Pretty impressed overall. Trigger is pretty good, I'd mentioned a couple pages back that my other glocks have the apex flat trigger that's comes with the gen 3 trigger bar and the gen 5 action feels almost exactly like it. Some have said better recoil impulse but I really couldn't tell much different. Not sure if because it the rifling in the barrel but I was very accurate with it today..I was an early adopter with the 320 and that for me was a more accurate shooting gun than any of my glocks. I would say that is no longer the case at all with the gen 5.

I stopped up at the local Gen5 gangbang and gave the 19 a spin. Overall, I was impressed - the trigger was great and the lack of finger grooves didn't bother me (I'm normally a fan of them, they fit me well.) I was only able to put 20 rounds through it and had one possible BTF (it may have been a barrier bounce.)

But, the 19 at least has a deal killer for me - the return to the awful mag well scallop. I hated that on my 23 Gen2 and despite years of trying to contour the damn thing a little at a time it always bothered me. The scallop and general ergonomics of the Gen2 actuallyndrove me away to M&Ps for ten years, it took the 43 and Gen4s to bring me back. Just 20 rounds today reminded me how much the freaking scallop bothers me.

Site Supporter
    With the thicker slide stop, how well do the gen 5 pistols fit in existing holsters?

Does the Gen5 have a shorter trigger reach than the Gen4? (In some pics the trigger looks to lean less forward than older models, plus less pre-travel...)

User Tag List