Page 303 of 346 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Y’all rock, thanking you.

Another friend jumped on the 19.5 bandwagon early on...against my advice as I absolutely loathe the half moon cut out on the front strap...and now he's bent because he's finally shot them enough to agree about the cut out and he can't get shiite in trade value. He tried the Pearce hole filler magazine base plate, but he has small hands and didn't like how it forced his pinky finger outward.

By fluke, I happened to run across a pic of the SLR Rifleworks mag well earlier today, but those are out of stock and probably won't be back. Anyway, it made me wonder if there were any other half moon filling mag wells and if anyone here has any experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Another friend jumped on the 19.5 bandwagon early on...against my advice as I absolutely loathe the half moon cut out on the front strap...and now he's bent because he's finally shot them enough to agree about the cut out and he can't get shiite in trade value. He tried the Pearce hole filler magazine base plate, but he has small hands and didn't like how it forced his pinky finger outward.

By fluke, I happened to run across a pic of the SLR Rifleworks mag well earlier today, but those are out of stock and probably won't be back. Anyway, it made me wonder if there were any other half moon filling mag wells and if anyone here has any experience with them.
    All hand size dependent I guess. I love the front strap cutout on the G19. I’m actually really disappointed that you can’t get a G19 that has the front cocking serrations and breechface notch with the front strap cutout. You either have to mix and match slides and frames, or sacrifice features. The cutout, when paired with the Gen5 magazine extended base plates, is fantastic for what it was designed to do: aid in stripping stuck magazines during one handed malfunction clearance. To get the same effect without the cutout, you’d need magazine base plates that extend even further past the front of the frame, like the CBP Glocks have. That may or may not be a factor when trying to conceal those spare mags.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I'm a fan of the changes they made for the gen 5s. I went with a pair of G17s, one for carry, one for shooting, dryfire, competition. I have big chungus hands, I wear 2XL gloves, so the 19 size guns have always been borderline too short for my liking. The front scallop cutout thingamabob on the gen 5 G19 aggravated the shit out of me, so going with the G17 was an easy choice for me. It's there, but doesn't bother me like the 19 did.

While I'm far from a trigger diva, I find the gen 5 trigger to be night and day better than previous generations, at least for me.

I loved my gen 2 Glocks back in the day, 3's and 4's I was meh over because of the finger grooves, see reference to big chungus hands above, so the deletion of the finger grooves was a welcome change for me.

The flared magwell is also a nice addition, it seems to make a difference to me, how much I'm not sure but I like it, it feels less like a square peg in a round hole.

I find the grip texture to be juuuuust right. Aggressive enough to where I don't feel like I need to stipple or add skateboard tape to a few areas, but not so aggressive that it is irritating to carry.

Last but not least. The "marksman" barrel. I know it's not a direct comparison, but compared to a gen 4 G19, beyond 15 yards and definitely at 25, I'm more accurate with the gen 5 G17. Is it the 1/2" of sight radius, the smoother trigger, the barrel improvements, or a combination of all three? I'd say probably the latter, but I can definitely see an improvement.

Only thing I need to do is send @Tom_Jones some money for a couple Gadgets.
    With all the chainsaw and bidet content, I'd almost forgot we have a forum for pistols and this thread.

A year later and I'm still completely smitten with my pair of gen 5 G17's. I haven't fiddled with any ghost minus dot connectors or anything else. Gen 5 Glocks are the best Glocks as far as I'm concerned.

Neither of mine have the new breech face cutout, which I didn't even know was a thing until I opened this thread and skimmed through the last 10 or so pages. Neither have exhibited any extraction or ejection problems.

Was a short chamber an issue with the early Gen 5 guns? If so, is it still an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Was a short chamber an issue with the early Gen 5 guns? If so, is it still an issue?
    There are NO issues with current Gen 5 Glocks.

Still loving my gen5 17, I think I am at 2200 rounds now and it just eats! We had a family cookout a couple weeks ago and did some shooting out back, of all the stuff sitting out to shoot the M4 clone with acog and this 17 got shot the most! With it and my G48 I think have the perfect glocks for my needs, and though my old G19 won't ever go anywhere it's retired until my son gets older.

Well I finally picked up a Gen 5 17 and it was worth the wait. I wanted to wait to have any potential kinks worked out before I picked one up and it looks like they have them running pretty good at this point. I have the current model Gen 5 with FS, no cut out on the frame, BFN, and Ameriglos.

I put 200 rounds through it yesterday with no issues. I realize that 200 is not a lot, but it let me form some initial impressions. First of all is the trigger; all I can say is wow! It pulls straight through and has a very clean break. It is similar to the "-" connector with a NY olive combo that I like but much better. Being a lefty, I love the ambi slide stop/release. This feature alone has drastically improved my reloading. I love being able to put my thumb to use for the first time in 30 years. As far as ejection goes, zero BTF and everything went pretty much to my 2-3 o'clock. My gun has the breech face notch. I love not having finger groves and it feels much like my original Gen 2's that I have been shooting for 30 years. Finally, I find this model very accurate. I have to get used to the Ameriglo's, but I was able to shoot nice, small fist sized groups over and over at 20 yards. I have included a couple of pictures. These are all 10 round groups.

It was pretty hot, about 110, so I only shot for a couple of hours before calling it quits. I am heading back up there next week and plan on leaving the gun dirty and running an additional 500 rounds or so through it. All in all, I find the Gen 5 a vast improvement over my Gen 3's I am currently running. I am not sure if I will switch to all Gen 5's or move my Gen 3's up to my desert house to keep in reserve and run Gen 5's as my primary gun at my main residence. There is enough of a difference in the triggers, that I do have some reservations about switching back and forth between generations. I will post again after the 4th weekend with another update.
    Thanks for the read,

Matt
    Last edited by ECVMatt; 06-24-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    ^ I have that exact setup + an MOS cut and it's great.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    ^ I have that exact setup + an MOS cut and it's great.
    Same, picked up a gen 5 glock 17 and its a shooter. Newer model with FCS, chamber cut out, and no cut out in the frame. Trigger is by the far the best glock tirgger I've felt. Slight take up to wall, then roll through it. Was getting good hits out to 50 yards with it. The glock 17, glock 48, and glock 43 (underwear gun) make a great combo for carry and ease of transition from one to the other.

User Tag List