Page 288 of 346 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338 ... LastLast
Results 2,871 to 2,880 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Just bought the 17

Last week myself and one of my shooting buddies went to the range. He had a new 19 gen 5 with Glock night sights. His first Glock.........after all those years of opining how ugly they look. I shot 15 rounds through it and was surprised how much I liked the trigger. My one and only Glock is the 21 gen 3. The trigger pull on the 19 was a roll to the wall then release compared to the 21's wall and pull through it.

Well I got Glock fever that day. Today I purchased a 17 with Glock night sights. Nice trigger out of the box and hoping it gets even better with age. One reason I got the 17 is that front cut-out in front of the frame. On the 19 my pinky completely filled in that cut-out. I guess I could have gotten use to it, but with the 17, my pinky is just above the cut-out. The grip fits my hand well. Of course it points just a bit high from the grip angle, I've read. Anyway, pleased with my purchase and looking to my first outing.

Site Supporter
    Today I shot my 19.5 with front cocking serrations and the breech face cut for the second time. The ejection on this pistol is truly amazing. All the observed rounds ejected at ~3:00 to ~4:00 and they were landing about ~6-8 feet from me. The pistol was ejecting them in a nice high arc. My other 19.5 (>5,000 rounds to date) hasn't given me any problems with ejection, but it's not nearly as robust as this one. I'm very impressed.

For Post 2930 and anyone else still reading this long thread, the latest Gen5 Glocks (will) no longer have the front strap cut outs, but will have front cocking slide serrations. I've been reading many posts on many forums and people are still finding what must be new-old-stock Glock Gen5 guns with that front strap cut-out.

There are folks who don't want front slide serrations.
    There are folks who don't like the frontstrap cutout.
    Whichever combination of features Glock puts out, there will always be people out there who'll want a different combination of features.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For Post 2930 and anyone else still reading this long thread, the latest Gen5 Glocks (will) no longer have the front strap cut outs, but will have front cocking slide serrations. I've been reading many posts on many forums and people are still finding what must be new-old-stock Glock Gen5 guns with that front strap cut-out.

Whichever combination of features Glock puts out, there will always be people out there who'll want a different combination of features.
    I didn't really want the front slide serrations, but that was the cost of getting the breech face cut. Turns out that I kind of like those serrations!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Regarding Post 2933.
    I'd like to get a Glock (Gen5) with that breechface/extractor cut someday. Right now, I'm just too cheap to get another G19gen5 or G17gen5 as my early Gen5 ones are working good enough, but I occasionally get that spent casing hitting my face and slipping behind my eyeglasses; maybe next year. I don't think the latest front serration G26gen5 has that breechface/extractor cut or if it needs it, but if I get that close to buying another Glock, I'll check it out.

Perhaps I'll stop into my local Blue Label Glock dealer after Christmas and look, but I hate to make a gunstore salesperson work when I'm not going to buy at that moment...we'll see. I've spent a lot of money on gun stuff in the last month or two.

Regarding Post 2933.
    I'd like to get a Glock (Gen5) with that breechface/extractor cut someday. Right now, I'm just too cheap to get another G19gen5 or G17gen5 as my early Gen5 ones are working good enough, but I occasionally get that spent casing hitting my face and slipping behind my eyeglasses; maybe next year. I don't think the latest front serration G26gen5 has that breechface/extractor cut or if it needs it, but if I get that close to buying another Glock, I'll check it out.

Perhaps I'll stop into my local Blue Label Glock dealer after Christmas and look, but I hate to make a gunstore salesperson work when I'm not going to buy at that moment...we'll see. I've spent a lot of money on gun stuff in the last month or two.
    I’ve got an early G5 19 & 17 and replaced the factory 30274 ejectors with the updated G19X ejector. Cheap upgrade, $7 and it made the ejection much more consistent for me. Doesn’t kick them out like my G45 does but it’s better than the 30274s did. Nice rainbow arc 3-4’ to ~4 o’clock.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/47208
    Shoot more, post less...

Do you mean the breech-face cut?
    I didn't notice a frontstrap change, but I'm not up on all the details.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Here are three "I" statements on the matter:

I am indifferent about the front cocking serrations.
    I prefer the "no cutout" on the front strap but can live with it .
    I think the breach face cut is worth the price of converting to Gen5.2.

Just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Jason M; 12-21-2019 at 08:39 AM.

RE: Post 2936.
    No, I meant the half-moon shaped front-strap cut-out (used to more easily strip a mag out) as on the early G19&17Gen5 guns, which are also on the 17M & 19M guns, but no longer on the latest G17&19 front slide serration Gen5 guns.

I did put the 47021 ejectors into my Gen5 Glocks to replace the 30274 ejectors, too. I can't say the latest ejectors changed much in my Gen5 guns, but i was able to use the 30274 ejectors in a couple of Gen3 9mm Glocks which definitely had brass-to-face problems.

The breechface cutout seems to work.

If anyone has a legit ejection problem Glock I'd buy it and do the breechface cutout and see if it fixes it.

Might be a way to salvage all the Gen 3-4 from the past decade.

User Tag List