Page 209 of 346 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

For Post 2135, above.

Glock "factory" sights is now vague or confusing, particularly when it comes to Gen5 Glocks.

Originally, Glock front sights were ~4.1mm/.165" tall.

Recently, Glock's parts list added a new height Glock front sight for Gen5 models which has a height of ~4.9mm/~.193" tall called the Glock GMS sight.

Further, Glock offers Ameriglo night sights for Gen5 models and it's unknown by me what height(s) of front sight Glock has installed as these Ameriglo night sights reportedly come in .180", .200", and .220" in height.

I'm unaware of any Glock-factory .250" front sight.
    Last edited by L-2; 05-16-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    For Post 2135, above.

Glock "factory" sights is now vague or confusing, particularly when it comes to Gen5 Glocks.

Originally, Glock front sights were ~4.1mm/.165" tall.

Recently, Glock's parts list added a new height Glock front sight for Gen5 models which has a height of ~4.9mm/~.193" tall called the Glock GMS sight.

Further, Glock offers Ameriglo night sights for Gen5 models and it's unknown by me what height(s) of front sight Glock has installed as these Ameriglo night sights reportedly come in .180", .200", and .220" in height.

I'm unaware of any Glock-factory .250" front sight.
    the taller front sight pre dates Gen5.

Also there is not an official Gen5 sight set from GLOCK. It depends on the gun. While most ship with a 6.1mm rear sight, some ship with the standard 6.5mm one, all depends on when it was tested at the factory.

My personal Gen5 19 shipped with a 6.5mm rear and shoots exactly POA/POI with a standrd set of square notch Proctor WOTG sights at 25m
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Will a Gen 5 slide work on a Gen 4 frame?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Will a Gen 5 slide work on a Gen 4 frame?
    It shouldn't

Some are claiming the 19 will, but personally I wouldn't chance it
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Just a data point but I've recently started having light strikes with 5# striker springs in two different Gen 5 17's. The first one started at around the 2500 round mark. The other started this weekend and has around 1500 rounds through it. Both have factory striker springs now. I realize it's not a fault of the gun. I tried 5# springs after lots of research and reassurance that they were good to go. I had a Gen 4 34 that ran them just fine. Not sure what the difference is or if it was just a bad batch of springs.

I put the finishing sighing touches on the 2K challenge with my Gen 5 today. I put 252 rounds of AE 124g, and 9 rounds of a 147g Hollow Point (unknown make) through the gun today.

Stats:

Time period: April 4 - May 26, 2018

Total rounds: 2008
    Stoppages: 5 (all user induced, 4 failure of slide to lock back on an empty mag due to improper grip, and one failure to feed when I hit the slide release a fraction of a second too early when inserting a fresh mag. The extractor didn’t pick up the round and it hung up the round. I also had a high primer not ignite, which I don’t count against the gun).
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

The Gen 5 has been a pleasure to shoot! I was very curious if this gun could hang with the Beretta Elite II I had been using in IPSC competition and I can safely say I can shoot it better than my Beretta. Don’t get me wrong, the Elite II is a fantastic gun, but I think the ergonomics of the Glock just suit my hand a little better.

Just to emphasize the above point, I was able to smash a personal record on the Bill drill today. The best I have ever done with my Elite II was 1.98 clean, and that was more of a fluke, as most of my Bill’s were in the 2.25 range. For the last several weeks I have been flirting the edge of 2.0 seconds with the Gen 5. Early on in my session today I had a 1.99 with a very close C. At the end of the session I had this (the large bullet at the bottom of the five shot cluster is a .40 cal form my buddies G35):

And just to show the flyer was an A :

Needless to say, I was pretty damn happy! Time on the Bill was: 1.06, 1.24, 1.41, 1.57, 1.74, and 1.92.

The first 20 rounds out of the gun today were a 91-1X and a 92-4X on B8’s at 25 yards. Stupid flyers ruined my targets. I am finding after practicing so much speed, it is hard to slow down and focus on groups.

I also shot a 3.09 second 25 yard Bill drill, with one C. Time on that was: 1.35, 1.73, 2.07, 2.41, 2.75, 3.09

I shoot the Gen 5 so well, that I plan on using it in competition from now on and I will use it at a level 2 IPSC match next weekend. Only mods to it will be a bit of skateboard tape and a black sharpie on the fear sight. I do have a Dawson adjustable sight set coming for it though, but won’t change it before the match.

Annoyances with the gun: It is still hard to rack slide with a full mag. I’m not sure why this would be the case, but it is annoying. Also, I still get a few brass to face/head. I don’t notice it when wearing a hat, but it can be a bit flinch inducing when not wearing a hat. Edit to add: The slide stop finish is wearing off fairly fast. I don’t really care, but it is something to note.

Pics of the filth:

The marks on the slide are not permanent, they whipe right off.

Mag-well is getting a little dinged.

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-26-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Can’t spell or use grammar, or hold a coherent thought.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I put the finishing sighing touches on the 2K challenge with my Gen 5 today. I put 252 rounds of AE 124g, and 9 rounds of a 147g Hollow Point (unknown make) through the gun today.

Stats:

Time period: April 4 - May 26, 2018

Total rounds: 2008
    Stoppages: 5 (all user induced, 4 failure of slide to lock back on an empty mag due to improper grip, and one failure to feed when I hit the slide release a fraction of a second too early when inserting a fresh mag. The extractor didn’t pick up the round and it hung up the round. I also had a high primer not ignite, which I don’t count against the gun).
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

The Gen 5 has been a pleasure to shoot! I was very curious if this gun could hang with the Beretta Elite II I had been using in IPSC competition and I can safely say I can shoot it better than my Beretta. Don’t get me wrong, the Elite II is a fantastic gun, but I think the ergonomics of the Glock just suit my hand a little better.

Just to emphasize the above point, I was able to smash a personal record on the Bill drill today. The best I have ever done with my Elite II was 1.98 clean, and that was more of a fluke, as most of my Bill’s were in the 2.25 range. For the last several weeks I have been flirting the edge of 2.0 seconds with the Gen 5. Early on in my session today I had a 1.99 with a very close C. At the end of the session I had this (the large bullet at the bottom of the five shot cluster is a .40 cal form my buddies G35):

And just to show the flyer was an A :

Needless to say, I was pretty damn happy! Time on the Bill was: 1.06, 1.24, 1.41, 1.57, 1.74, and 1.92.

The first 20 rounds out of the gun today were a 91-1X and a 92-4X on B8’s at 25 yards. Stupid flyers ruined my targets. I am finding after practicing so much speed, it is hard to slow down and focus on groups.

I also shot a 3.09 second 25 yard Bill drill, with one C. Time on that was: 1.35, 1.73, 2.07, 2.41, 2.75, 3.09

I shoot the Gen 5 so well, that I plan on using it in competition from now on and I will use it at a level 2 IPSC match next weekend. Only mods to it will be a bit of skateboard tape and a black sharpie on the fear sight. I do have a Dawson adjustable sight set coming for it though, but won’t change it before the match.

Annoyances with the gun: It is still hard to rack slide with a full mag. I’m not sure why this would be the case, but it is annoying. Also, I still get a few brass to face/head. I don’t notice it when wearing a hat, but it can be a bit flinch inducing when not wearing a hat. Edit to add: The slide stop finish is wearing off fairly fast. I don’t really care, but it is something to note.

Pics of the filth:

The marks on the slide are not permanent, they whipe right off.

Mag-well is getting a little dinged.

Your experience mirrors mine with the Gen 5’s. I have always been able to run Glocks and 1911’s really well, with the edge going to the 1911. For the past 2yrs I had been running Berettas in competition and carrying them. I found the Gen 5 trigger to be a big improvement for me over the previous generations after running DA/SA guns. I can run Gen 5 just as accurately and with faster splits than the pizza guns.

Earlier this week I was running a bunch of competition drills with my 1911 chambered in 9mm. I’ve been carrying a 19x for the past month so I figured I’d see how it would stack up against my 1911 on a plate rack.

Much to my bewilderment, and my wife’s delight, I ran the 19x faster on every run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Your experience mirrors mine with the Gen 5’s. I have always been able to run Glocks and 1911’s really well, with the edge going to the 1911. For the past 2yrs I had been running Berettas in competition and carrying them. I found the Gen 5 trigger to be a big improvement for me over the previous generations after running DA/SA guns. I can run Gen 5 just as accurately and with faster splits than the pizza guns.

Earlier this week I was running a bunch of competition drills with my 1911 chambered in 9mm. I’ve been carrying a 19x for the past month so I figured I’d see how it would stack up against my 1911 on a plate rack.

Much to my bewilderment, and my wife’s delight, I ran the 19x faster on every run.

To be honest, I never really expected the Gen 5 to be that big of an improvement over previous Glock’s I’ve owned and I never expected to be able to shoot it as well as my Beretta. I really only switched to it because I couldn’t set my Beretta up with sights that were adequate to my needs. I know I could do that with the Glock, there are about a billion different sights available for them. To my surprise, I could split the Glock way faster than my Beretta. I don’t really know why, but the difference was noticeable almost immediately. It also tracks really well for me under recoil.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    To be honest, I never really expected the Gen 5 to be that big of an improvement over previous Glock’s I’ve owned and I never expected to be able to shoot it as well as my Beretta. I really only switched to it because I couldn’t set my Beretta up with sights that were adequate to my needs. I know I could do that with the Glock, there are about a billion different sights available for them. To my surprise, I could split the Glock way faster than my Beretta. I don’t really know why, but the difference was noticeable almost immediately. It also tracks really well for me under recoil.

Having played with a lot of platforms over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that, for me, how flat the gun tracks is more important to shooting accurately at speed.

Have you shot a 19x? Don’t, unless you want to buy one!

Quote Originally Posted by TCFD273 View Post
    Having played with a lot of platforms over the years I’ve come to the conclusion that, for me, how flat the gun tracks is more important to shooting accurately at speed.

Have you shot a 19x? Don’t, unless you want to buy one!

It’s intesting how many little “nuances” that make glock such an excellent platform. So many other guns may feel a bit better in the hand, or have that excellent trigger or whatever, but you put it all together with the glock and it just works, and works well. The availability of aftermarket parts will cover whatever little improvement you may want. The gen 5 really makes takes an good gun and refines the trigger, barrel (accuracy), sights (finally). I do think they overthought the flared magwell with the cutout but otherwise it’s fantastic out of the box.

The 19x also for me is one of the best ergonomic guns I’ve had, which is saying something for a glock. Throw in the SCD and for an aiwb option, and glock checks every box. Most importantly is they have been ridiculously reliable, unlike some others. Coughsig...

User Tag List