Page 55 of 346 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    I got to handle a Gen5 G19 at an LGS today. My thoughts:

1. The finish is similar to that on the older Gen3 models rather than the Gen4, which in turn is like the older Gen2 models
    2. I like the no finger grooves
    3. The front cut-out didn't seem to matter much although I didn't try and draw the gun at all
    4. The taller, stock plastic sights are interesting I suppose
    5. The trigger was very much like a lightened version of a Gen3 NY1 / minus connector combo. Engagement with the striker safety and connector was still something I could feel but it wasn't as much. Reports of the trigger being "totally different" seem exaggerated to me.

I'd certainly take one but as a lefty I've come to appreciate not having a slide release on the right-side. I'm rather hoping that Gen4s start showing up for cheap on Armslist...
    Agree with your assessment of the trigger, I looked at one at my LGS a couple days ago, I thought the trigger was smoother, more crisp, but not totally different. I'm going to set back and wait, and see how these shake out, how they eject is still high on my list, as 3 out of 4 Glocks that I've owned, or still own needed a apex extractor to mostly solve the BTF issues I was having..

I have 450 rounds through my G19-5 at this point. I still like the trigger, sights, mag well, finish (still no wear on the slide). My support hand grip on Glocks always rode the slide stop. Occasionally, I'd get failures to lock back on empty. With the slightly thicker slide stops on the Gen5, I get failures to lock back on empty almost every magazine. That's an issue with my grip so I'm not counting it against the gun. It does irritate the base of my thumb after a few hundred rounds whereas the earlier generations never bothered my hand.

The bad news is that I've had two malfunctions in my 450 rounds. The first was a failure to feed on the third round fired through the gun. The second one that happened today was a failure to fire on a round of Blazer aluminum. The round fired on the second attempt so it's counting against the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    Let's agree to disagree and allow the thread to focus on the Gen 5, if you're truly worried about ejection problems than pick another platform and drive on...
    I don't think that the G19 Gen 4 problems ever were completely worked out. I bought a Gen4 G19 late last year and it wouldn't eject for anything until I put in an Apex extractor and a HRED. The HRED alone didn't cure it. Nor did the APEX extractor. Together, though, they eliminated the issue. I had the same thing with a 2012 Gen. 4 G19.

So far my Gen5 G19 is extracting perfectly. My guess--and it is only a guess--is that is one of the things Glock worked on since 2010. Reliability has always been Glock's big selling point, and they took a hit with those extraction problems. Now they have a gun that seems reliable and highly accurate.

I like the Gen 5.

I now have 900 rounds through my 17.5. The gun couldn't pass 10-8 test prior to HRED. I installed the HRED today and the gun now passes 10-8 with P9HST2, (25 rounds used) LE9T5, (25 rounds used) and Aguila 124 ball, (50). Ejection went from erratic between 2-5 o'clock with the occasional piece of brass over head, to the forearms, or to the 9 o'clock to a solid 5 o'clock all the time. I will be leaving the HRED in and run the gun at least another 1k before I will trust it, even though it hasn't bobbled once. Right now I am really liking this gun, way more than I thought I would. Now that I have a solid ejection pattern I see myself spending quite a bit more time with it.

MikeC, what was the total cost to get the extraction worked out?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    MikeC, what was the total cost to get the extraction worked out?
    BJJ, I bought the HRED for $18 or so, it might have been like $25 with shipping. I don't know if extraction was broke to begin with as I am no engineer nor expert but, in my opinion it was unsatisfactory; as to ejection being sorted out, 100 rounds is hardly what I would call definitive. I plan to run the dog shit out of this gun for the next week or two, I will try to run 1k this week and another the following. If the gun gets through the next 1k I will start to carry it. I can certainly report back any changes to the ejection pattern. I do plan to monitor it closely. Lastly I do want to say that my gun ran 800 rounds before the part install without stoppage and I have no doubts that it would have continued to run in the same fashion. If you are thinking about one but your not sure and your willing to wait a week I can get through 1k more rounds and let you know for sure if the ejection pattern is still sitting at 5 and it will pass the 10-8 again. I do believe that every gun is different and like some Gen4 guns I believe it may take an Apex extractor to solidify ejection patters or the HRED, or maybe even the combination but only time and more Gen5's in the hands of customers will tell.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-09-2017 at 08:02 PM.

*THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

I got a Gen 5 17. The gun is flat out awesome. Only 200 rounds in but all ejections have been right where they should be. Mine passes the 10-8 test with all factory parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitch; 09-09-2017 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That's "rolling break" to you mister!

"Rolling break" has replaced "glass rod break", often for no other reason than because:I-am-not-my-father.

"Rolling break" = revolver like. "Glass rod" = 1911. Or something. Having never actually broken a glass rod (indeed, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a glass rod, but then again I don't get out much) I always found that a strange comparison. However, a 1911 has a definite wall before it breaks. I'm not fond of that feeling (which is why I like light 1911 triggers). I put minus connectors in my Gen 4 Glocks to reduce the wall sensation. I get very little of that in my Gen 5, and I find that it makes it easier to shoot. But I suppose with practice any trigger works.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    "Rolling break" = revolver like. "Glass rod" = 1911. Or something. Having never actually broken a glass rod (indeed, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a glass rod, but then again I don't get out much) I always found that a strange comparison. However, a 1911 has a definite wall before it breaks. I'm not fond of that feeling (which is why I like light 1911 triggers). I put minus connectors in my Gen 4 Glocks to reduce the wall sensation. I get very little of that in my Gen 5, and I find that it makes it easier to shoot. But I suppose with practice any trigger works.
    I've heard the glass-rod break used to describe the single action trigger on a S&W revolver, or a tuned 1911.

About 125 rounds this morning in a USPSA match. I like more every time I shoot it. No BTF, no malfunctions, trigger is lovely.

This pistol came with a 6.1 rear sight, I put a set of 10-8s on it, .235 front and it seemed to shoot to the top of the front post at 25 yards.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 09-10-2017 at 01:47 PM.

User Tag List