Page 306 of 346 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 3454

Thread: *THE* Gen 5 Glock thread: First Impressions, Reviews and Thoughts

I’m still waiting on some parts to clean up my gen 5 19 trigger.

I was able to pick up a new gen 4 19 too. With Glock announcing they are done making them I didn’t want to miss out on getting one. I’ve had them in the past and traded off for various things.

Now that I have one again I realize that I like the finger grooves. I feel like it helps keep a more secure grip. Trigger on mine is pretty good. More of that rolling break that gen 4s are known for but take up is a lot cleaner and shorter then my gen 5.

I was able to secure a spot in a Kyle Defoor pistol class so I’m looking pumped on getting to use my 19s there.

Site Supporter
    Name:  2305082E-CB58-4A32-9BBB-BEDE75C54DBF.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  40.5 KB
    Finally jumped into the Gen 5 pool headfirst.
    Took the 17 out to the range yesterday.
    Recoil seems softer than my Gen 2 G17.
    Trigger is satisfactory.
    Rear stock polymer sight was biased to the left and the windage POI reflects that.
    Elevation seems to be POI at the tip of the front sight with Fiocchi 115 grain ammo.
    Going to center the sight and try it with my usual 9mm recipe of 124 grain plated RMR flat nose plated bullet with 5.4 grains of BE-86 that should yield about 1150 FPS.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Name:  2305082E-CB58-4A32-9BBB-BEDE75C54DBF.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  40.5 KB
    Finally jumped into the Gen 5 pool headfirst.
    Took the 17 out to the range yesterday.
    Recoil seems softer than my Gen 2 G17.
    Trigger is satisfactory.
    Rear stock polymer sight was biased to the left and the windage POI reflects that.
    Elevation seems to be POI at the tip of the front sight with Fiocchi 115 grain ammo.
    Going to center the sight and try it with my usual 9mm recipe of 124 grain plated RMR flat nose plated bullet with 5.4 grains of BE-86 that should yield about 1150 FPS.
    Took the 19 out this evening.
    Shot eighty rounds of handloads consisting of six grains of Power Pistol and a 124 grain FMJFP bullet of unknown brand.
    This is my first experience with Power Pistol. There was about half a pound in the huge reloading estate buy I did last fall.
    Loud report reminiscent of my old .38 Super, significant flash, but low recoil.
    After about a thirty round warmup, I kept all but six in a B8 at thirty feet which is very good for me.
    The stock polymer sights are better than the originals and are workable for CC but will most likely put something steel on eventually.
    Going to work with both guns on Sunday hopefully after I reload some more tomorrow.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I hope this thread is too far gone...but I was able to get out to my desert house and put 250 rounds through the 17.5.

I also had my original Glock 17.2 that I like to stay proficient with. I will say that the Gen 5 is vastly smoother shooting than the Gen 2. I don't know how to accurately describe the difference other than feels Gen 5 is just silky (Dear god did I just say that about a Glock?). I still shoot my original Glock nearly as well as the Gen 5 but the Gen 5 is noticeable easier to shoot.

So now that I am pretty sold on the Gen 5, I am going to slowly search for a 45 to add to the safe.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've reported my personal experience with the Gen5 Glocks so far. My specimens have been great. My very first pistol is squirrel-vitals accurate at distance with JHP ammo. My second gun hasn't been used to kill anything at 60 yards yet, but the shooting I've done with it hasn't shown me that it's any less capable.

I have discovered, however, that I might be fortunate in my experiences.

The lockup on most Gen5 guns I've encountered in the wild is sub-optimal. If you press down on the barrel hood of a typical model you'll see that it drops relatively easily. Moreso on some specimens than others, and more as the gun gets some wear in it.

This isn't impacting accuracy on my guns, but the lack of proper barrel support is manifesting accuracy issues for some other Glock owners. Including some large institutional purchasers. At least one of the institutional purchasers ended up with a revised locking block that changes the lockup and now if you press down on the barrel hood there's absolutely no movement whatsoever. I verified this by playing with a specimen myself and it's rock solid...absolutely no movement whatsoever. How does one procure said locking block? Good question. I have no idea. If one was to inquire, Glock would likely do what Glock has always done and insist there's no problem and won't give any specific guidance on fixing the issue they won't acknowledge unless someone is holding a contract requirement over their head like the sword of Damocles.

Apart from hearing from said institutional users, I've collected multiple examples of the phenomenon out in the wild. A friend just sent me a target he shot from prone at 30 yards with his newly acquired Gen5 Glock 17 and he can't reliably hit an 8.5x11" piece of paper with the pistol. (He's an excellent shot, so it's not him) In fact, it looked identical to what I saw years ago when I shot a friend's issued Gen3 Glock 22 and couldn't keep shots on an 8.5x11" piece of paper at 25, even from prone.

I can't tell how widespread an issue it is...as I said, my two specimens were purchased more than a year apart and both are very accurate pistols at the moment. (Although the second gun's barrel finish seems to be wearing much faster than the first's...no idea what, if any, relevance that has) Both of them have considerable movement when pressure is applied to the barrel hood. The older gun has considerably more movement than the newer gun. It also has ~ 15,000 more rounds through it, so that would make sense.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Including some large institutional purchasers. At least one of the institutional purchasers ended up with a revised locking block that changes the lockup and now if you press down on the barrel hood there's absolutely no movement whatsoever. I verified this by playing with a specimen myself and it's rock solid...absolutely no movement whatsoever. How does one procure said locking block? Good question. I have no idea. If one was to inquire, Glock would likely do what Glock has always done and insist there's no problem and won't give any specific guidance on fixing the issue they won't acknowledge unless someone is holding a contract requirement over their head like the sword of Damocles.
    So DLC coated internals and now new locking blocks, the question is why does Glock get a pass for Gov. vs commercial components while Sig gets disparaged?

I say this having never owned a Sig and a G17.5 currently on my belt.

Finally got my Gen5 G19 back out today to see if I could figure out what is going on with the failure to extract. I started by shooting the Rangemaster 200 point warm up on all of the guns I took out to look for variables in my technique. That drill if you are unfamiliar is shot at 10 yards on a B8. 10 rds two hand, 5 rds SHO, 5 rds WHO. I shot it with my Gen4 17 with DPP, Gen3 19 with RMR, Sig 365L with 507K, My NPE EDC G43 with Ameriglo something or another, and a G44. Absolutely not one issue with any of those guns. Next up was the Gen5 19 with 507c. String one, no problems. Starting on string 2 and continuing to string 3 I had numerous failures to extract. One might think limp wristing, which is why I did the same drill with all of the other guns first. What I found was that you couldn't even clear it with a unload, rack, reload as the extractor was not catching the rim and the case was just staying in the chamber. So, is it a problem with the chamber or the extractor? I am going to guess extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Finally got my Gen5 G19 back out today to see if I could figure out what is going on with the failure to extract. I started by shooting the Rangemaster 200 point warm up on all of the guns I took out to look for variables in my technique. That drill if you are unfamiliar is shot at 10 yards on a B8. 10 rds two hand, 5 rds SHO, 5 rds WHO. I shot it with my Gen4 17 with DPP, Gen3 19 with RMR, Sig 365L with 507K, My NPE EDC G43 with Ameriglo something or another, and a G44. Absolutely not one issue with any of those guns. Next up was the Gen5 19 with 507c. String one, no problems. Starting on string 2 and continuing to string 3 I had numerous failures to extract. One might think limp wristing, which is why I did the same drill with all of the other guns first. What I found was that you couldn't even clear it with a unload, rack, reload as the extractor was not catching the rim and the case was just staying in the chamber. So, is it a problem with the chamber or the extractor? I am going to guess extractor.
    Is your optic direct milled and is it possible a screw is too long?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Is your optic direct milled and is it possible a screw is too long?
    Yes, and yes. Do you think that could cause this issue? I guess just take the optic off and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Yes, and yes. Do you think that could cause this issue? I guess just take the optic off and see what happens.
    I would try it. I had an optic like that where the screwed touched the rod pushing on the extractor, and got stoppages.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List